SlotForum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Dave Capelen
2,774 Posts
Hi folks

Personal update

Sorry I've been a bit elusive for most of this year, there's been a lot going on and everything has been up in the air.

To be honest, my health been less than 100% since my heart attack in late 2006, so it's been in the wind for a while, but the time has come when I have decided I can't put it off any longer - and so I've decided to retire.

But, before you all get the wrong end of the stick, I am not retiring from slot racing....only from my day job...!

I finish at the end of September and the initial plan is that I take the rest of the year off, and focus on putting my life in order, plus re-decorating the bungalow and tidying up the garden, which has barely been touched for the past 3 years...!
A part-time job is likely in the New Year.

SMK Slotcar Models and Kits (fomerly FPF Models) and Tertre Rouge Racing Cars

Lack of certainty over my finances and the future, plus supplier delays, have meant that I have had to hold back on the development of these projects until now, although I have continued to stock up on parts and re-stock some of the TRRC bodies.

I am on holiday from next Monday (5th) through to 25th, which will include a fortnight in Cyprus.

I'll be planning my future and that of SMK/TRRC whilst on holiday, as I have wifi out in Cyprus and so will be able to keep on top of e-mails, with the odd glass of wine.

There are quite a number of new models which can be released shortly.

Cheers
Dave

·
Registered
551 Posts
Best of luck with the new venture Dave! Smart to retire too if you can and your health is suffering otherwise. Looking forward to seeing what new products you come up with!

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Hi Dave.
Best wishes to you for your 'proper' retirement...most important that you continue with Slot related business and pleasure!
I hope your two slot bisiness interests grow and give you some income and enjoyment, now that you will have more time to give them.
I hope to see you at various Classic meetings on the mainland soon.
Kind Regards Bill.

·
Premium Member
2,116 Posts
May I wish you all the best in your retirement Dave. I hope you will be able to come over to Umbria occasionally and spill a little wine with us too.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Dave, all the best in your well deserved retirement . Dont leave it too long before we resume our RTR dogfight.

·
Administrator
9,792 Posts
Same here Dave. It was a pleasure meeting you at Wellingborough a couple years ago, and hope to see you again at another meeting very soon.

Good luck with the retirement and best of health!

Don

·
Dave Capelen
2,774 Posts
Morning folks

And thank you for all your kind wishes!

Ronan - I thought it was time to start afresh with something new. For years I've been trying to decide what to do when I grow up, and toy cars seem to fit the bill.
Did I say "Grow Up"? Never mind, lots of stuff in the pipeline, which I can focus on from October.

Bill - I'm entered at Yorkley and also the Wolves Saloons and Half-Tonners, so our paths will cross again shortly. Plenty to keep me busy just preparing cars for those events...!

Graham - Despite there being no formal MMM or MMCR next year, I don't need an excuse to visit Umbria, as you know. There are still plenty of attractions in Italy, not least the wine, the good company at Villa Rosa, plus of course the Mille Miglia itself. Sadly I don't have a car eligible for that event, nor can I afford the entry fee etc...!
But if I win the Lottery...?

Matt - I have 4 trips to the UK lined up between the end of September and the end of November, including the last round of the GB Slot Rally at Wye Valley, when we hope there will be an Isle of Man team of 4 or 5 drivers. Plus we will be staging Round 3 next year at the Glen Helen Hotel in late April. I hope to be back at Wellingborough next year.

Ralph - sorry I missed another battle at Wellingborough at the start of this month...! The trusty Camaro did make an appearance at our local club in the limited mods Saloons class on 1st September. Second again, I'm afraid, behind another former BSCRA winner. I still need to improve the handling, as the car is essentially unchanged from my battle with you.

Don - Hopefully I'll be back at Wellingborough next year and I may now have the flexibility with my time to visit Bordeaux and other continental events, which I'd love to do. Will catch up with you next year, hopefully.

Cheers
Dave

·
Peter Farrell
2,114 Posts
Been trying to get hold of Dave for a couple of months, But to no avail. Is he still in the business of supplying Slot Car bodies and accessories? I do hope so.
Peter

·
Dave Capelen
2,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi guys

Still around, unfortunately had been ill for a few weeks and I am just catching up on messages, orders for stuff etc.

There have been supplier problems, but I am getting them all sorted.

Any outstanding replies will be made over the next few days.

Lots in the pipeline, details shortly.

Cheers
Dave

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
There are always supplier problems in this little slot car world of ours. It drives me bananas. I'm having production issues myself at the moment and they all seem to be weather related. I think we should all join hands and see if we can get this elusive sun to come out. Roll on the spring!

G.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts