SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I got a new Scalextric Sports set for Christmas (Mini Mayhem) and one of the add-on sets, and now im after some new cars, obviously I got the Mini's with the set and I also got the SCX DTM Hallercoder Audi TT too. I have the Scalextric DTM Mercedes CLK and Vauxhall Astra (not sure which liverys) coming off eBay too, now after hunting around a bit I discovered the Revell NSU's, so for a start are these as good as they look, and what is there out there to race against them (im think Fiat 500's, Hillman Imps, Renault 8's and the like) thanks in advance for your replies.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've just found the P.R.S Fiat 500s on Slot32.de, how good are these kits? Are they easy to put together and is there anywhere i can get them in the U.K for a decent price?

·
Jim Moyes
5,002 Posts
The Abarths from SCX & Reprotec may be an easier option. SCX version is still current and Reprotec are usually available at good online slot car dealers.

Have fun!

Mr.M

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've seen pictures of the SCX Abarth and im not sure if I like it, I dunno why, maybe if I saw a real on my opinion would change. Any chance of a picture of the Reprotec one?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I like the look of the Imp kit, are sporty wheel designs and that sort of thing easy to get hold of, and would it be the sameish size as Revell NSU?

·
Jim Moyes
5,002 Posts
Well!!

Good news and bad!

Here's a pic of a Reprotec Abarth, same subject as the SCX but a better model IMO,

But a quick check round the usual suspects and nobody has any in stock apparently. Where have they all gone?

Steve at Traffic's Imp would be a contemporary of the NSU but if built with the recommended MRRC Mini chassis would probably struggle performance-wise. But then, you may like a challenge

Mr.M

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I like the look of the Reprotec Abarth but it sounds like im gonna have a hard time getting hold of one.

QUOTE Steve De Havillands Imp would be a contemporary of the NSU but if built with the recommended MRRC Mini chassis would probably struggle performance-wise. But then, you may like a challenge.

Sorry im a noob at all this, whats a MRRC Chassis, and where can I get all this stuff. :?

·
Jim Moyes
5,002 Posts
Sorry Supersport, the Imp in the picture is the one I'm on about and it comes with the MRRC Mini chassis (also in the pic). Revvs link will take you to Steve's website. He was showing me a new chassis for his kits at a recent swapmeet, but I doubt that he will make it suitable to retro-fit to his existing kits. I could be wrong though!

If you're UK based, the shop in Bournemouth had some Reprotecs in stock earlier this month and do a mail order service. I'l try to find the link later if you want it.

Mr.M

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
QUOTE If you're UK based, the shop in Bournemouth had some Reprotecs in stock earlier this month and do a mail order service. I'l try to find the link later if you want it.
slotrail there is the link.
Cheers
Reuben

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all your help everyone, Im defently going to invest in one of the NSU's and probably one of the Reprotec Abarths too, out of interest, on the Slotrail site it lists three different versions of the Abarth, has anyone got any pictures of all three versions?

·
Jim Moyes
5,002 Posts
Good news on the Imp front- just when you thought you had made up your mind!

Steve has had some development work done on the MRRC Mini chassis (which is also used in his A35 and Mini saloon/coupe kits) and a new front axle/guide assembly will become available soon which does away with the MRRC steering and guide and allows the fitting of a conventional solid axle and Scalextric type guide. Aluminium wheels of the right size are coming along too.

Both of these two mods will have a positive effect on performance.

Mr.M

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ah, so it looks like its worth waiting a bit for the Imp then. Im gonna put an order in for one the NSU's over the weekend and posily an Abath too if im feeling flush.

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
The Monogram NSU is a great car in most ways although it lacks braking effect.
It will also outrun easily , most of the cars talked about above.

Options include downgrading the magnet and motor of the NSU OR changing the gearing to gain better braking.
Or you could try ( it looks like you are not scared off by a spot of tuning or kit bashing) fitting the lot on a specific chassis like the one from Pendles in the UK.

Whatever the outcome , enjoy your purchases and keep us upto date...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Will do, i'm gonna see what the NSU performs like myself before I consider any mods etc, anyway i'll keep you updated!

·
Registered
18 Posts
What put me away from them is that they are in modern "NSU cup" liveries. I don't like a classic car competing with one which has "www.something.de" written on the screen.
But that's just a personal view. The NSU itself is an awsome model.
Hopefully Revell will bring them out in original classic versions.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Here's my D Sedan (SCCA) grid:

The Reprotec Abarths are a bit underpowered but are fun to drive on a tight twisty track. The SCX Abarth has more power than the Reprotec but the tires don't grip as well. I think both are fairly good replicas of the late Berlina Corsa TCR (Radiale), although I've never heard of a Gulf livery on one. The scale and detail are quite good.

Duke

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Of course what Swissracer really meant to say was just throw away all your magnets and then the NSU and the Abarth's are fine together not that I mean to start a thread on that subject!!!

At the bottom of this pic

and the top of this one are some other liveries and alternative cars

and here is Reprotec's website with various pictures

Farrout

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Great collection of cars...

How does the SCX and the Reprotec abarth compare in driving?
I have the reprotec... but the scx Gulf livery is cool too!

Cheers

Gunther

1 - 20 of 20 Posts