SlotForum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These brass chassis were produced in the same Japanese tooling as the standard aluminum jobs. But cost must have been a factor, so, no go.

This Cobra received a chassis that would have been quite inexpensive to produce, but it did not make it either.

This Lotus Type 38 is the only known existing example. Its body was advertised in the 1967 flyer, but was never put in production and neither was it as a RTR car.

This is not exactly a prototype but a test shot of the 1963, 1/32 scale "split window" Vette to check the flow of plastic inside the mold. A common practice, but are there other survivors of this model?

Here is the 1/24 scale version, also so far, a unique survivor, alongside a test shot in white plastic:

Have a great weekend enjoying Lewis' antics with Max, shades of punting Rosberg off track... :)

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Was the 1/32 scale 'split window' Vette rare then?

I'm pretty sure the one I had was like that, not the single window version.

·
Premium Member
5,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kit Spackman, the '63 "Split Window" Vette was the fist body kit produced by Revell in the 1/32 scale. It is actually quite common today as they made a ton of them. It came in 1963 in the box below, re-issued in 1964 in a new box. The clear plastic test shot is likely the only survivor of very few made.

1963 version:

1964 version:

·
Administrator
9,789 Posts
Thanks P, fascinating stuff. That F1 is actually very nice looking and probably would have been a good performer.

What kind of plastic is the Cobra body, and do you know about when they would have done that? Was it replaced by the vac-formed versions with the plastic chassis? Or just an outliner...?

Don

·
Premium Member
5,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don, the Lotus is an Indy car, the type 38 with which in 1965, Jimmy Clark put an end to the long domination of "Offy" powered front-engine cars that had begun with the Peugeot/Duesenberg/Miller saga in 1913...

The Cobra is a plain-Jane stock Revell body from the standard kit, only the chassis is special.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
OK, thanks for the confirmation. My split window Vette was the complete slot car kit with the aluminium chassis, and the grey brush end drive motor, and I think I got it around Christmas time 1963.

For a short while it was the fastest car on my club's track, but then the quicker drivers got Revell cars and my short period on the top of the pile came to an end. :)

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
glad those spit windows are abundant where you are P. Would you mind forwarding a couple of them? I have yet to see a body kit here in CO in over 35 years of looking. My runner was restored from a glue bomb I found in a collector's shop in the area many years ago.

·
Premium Member
5,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Stuck, you just missed this one. They come up quite often...

·
Premium Member
5,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
"Put your nose to the ground,
there are truffles to be found."

It's a verse.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts