SlotForum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Alan Tadd
4,034 Posts
Great car, vey easy to modify to your own particular requirements if you wish. Not, perhaps a great Club car , but so what. Not everyone wants to race at a Club.

More Falcon please.

Price is a little excessive but Fly fans will pay it,and, let's face it, they are the people who are going to buy this car.

Regards

Alan

·
Registered
258 Posts
I took the Falcon out of the shelf today to start with some work to correct the wrong partition line around the cockpit and the driver who sitting much too high maybe on a throne.

I had to realize that the front wheel arches are totally wrong. The side of the car is too high as well. I put the car in the box and on the shelf again. No solution for these design flaws so far.

Hope the P 924 will a better looking car.

Best regards,

Thomoas

·
Registered
415 Posts
The specific 908 that Falcon has modeled is just not of interest to me. Given the standard of components I also think it is overpriced compared to the competition.

For those with criticism on NSR and Thunderslot scale accuracy: I did a quick look up and measurement on a couple of cars. As far as I can tell the scale variation of an NSR Porsche 917 and a Thunderslot Lola is the following (in order L/W/H)

NSR 917: +5% / +3% / +3% Pretty darn good I think.

Thunderslot Lola: -15% / +11% / +2%.

And for comparison:

Fly 917: +5% / +1% / +4%. Brilliant! And everybody is forever criticising the Fly scale accuracy....

By themselves the numbers for the Thunderslot is not that bad: a maximum discrepancy of 15%. HOWEVER: I believe the appearance issue with this car is that it is shorter than scale and wider than scale, giving it an out of kilter look proportion-wise.

FWIW

·
Premium Member
4,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
The 917 is the only NSR car that's even vaguely attempting to achieve scale accuracy and even then it's slammed down on the deck. Mosler? Clio? Abarth 500? They're all way off.

Thunder Slot: 15% off and 11% off in a scale model - the same scale model - is just terrible. It's not even trying, it's just taking the...

A bit of nip and tuck is fine provided that the cars look right and perform equally. Neither NSR or Thunder Slot do. They're thingies with a coherent theme.

·
Alan Wilkinson
1,089 Posts
I'm seeing a lot of opinion on thunder slot cars being "out of scale" but not seeing numbers to back that up so I did some reading and calculating:

Lola t70 full size car
Lola build spec sheet for the "Type 70 Mk.3b.GT" for the 1969 season, published in John Starkey's book "T70 history and chassis record"

Track, front, 57" with 8" rims
Track, front, 54" with 10.5" rims
Track, rear, 57.5" with 10" rims
Track, rear, 54" with 14" or 17" rims

Wheelbase 95 inches
Let's do some calculations on the wheelbase:

95 inches is 2413 mm
/32 is 75.5 mm to give us the proper wheelbase of a completely correctly scaled car

From slotcarworld.us
Thunder slot Lola t70 specification

Length - 132.50 MM
Width - Widest @ Rear Fenders - 64.75 MM
Height - 29 MM
Rear Track Width - 59 MM
Front Track Width - 56 MM
Wheelbase - 75 MM
Weight Total - 63g
Weight Chassis Only - 46g (With rear bracket/screws)
Weight Body Only - 17g
Non-Magnet
Sidewinder Motor Configuration
Motor Rating - 21,500 RPM @12 Volts (175 g/cm Torque)
Gearing Ratio - 2:91 (11T Pinion - 32T Spur)
Axle Size - 2.38 MM
---------------
So for the wheelbase only, we have a discrepancy of only 0.5 mm (of 75mm) which is 99.34% to scale
For 1/32 scale plastic models this seems very reasonable to me.
---------------
AlanW

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
Hi Alan, I think you'll find that most of the issues regarding scale are track rather than wheelbase. Check the correlation between 1:1 & 1/32 wheelbase and track. The percentage differences between full scale inches and model scale millimetres don't match.
Rgds
Simon

·
Electric model car driver
1,414 Posts
A slot car track is usually measured from the outside of the tyres. A 1:1 car track from the centre.

57.5 + 10 = 67.5, 67.5/32 = 2.11 x 25.4 = 53.6mm

54 + 17 = 71, 71/32 = 2.22 x 25.4 = 56.4mm

now include tyre bulge and the Thunderslot won't be too far off the mark.

As far as the Falcon 908 is concerned I tend to agree with Tomato and that's put me off.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Interesting that the discussion moved immediately to NSR and Thunderslot.
Both car manufacturers have a clear performance oriented philosophy with very good racing concept out of the Box. The Porsche 917 is also a nice and correct looking car. The Thunderslot T70 is too wide and too flat.
The Falcon has an old technical concept like Fly 15 years ago and doesn't match the apperence of the original. Bad combination.
Be the way. I could accept if the car would be just 2 to 4 mm too wide.
Hopefully the 924 will be much better.
Best regards
Thomas

·
Alan Wilkinson
1,089 Posts
Interesting that the discussion moved immediately to NSR and Thunderslot.
Both car manufacturers have a clear performance oriented philosophy with very good racing concept out of the Box. The Porsche 917 is also a nice and correct looking car. The Thunderslot T70 is too wide and too flat.
The Falcon has an old technical concept like Fly 15 years ago and doesn't match the apperence of the original. Bad combination.
Be the way. I could accept if the car would be just 2 to 4 mm too wide.
Hopefully the 924 will be much better.
Best regards
Thomas
------------------
This,
I found a reference on the height of the lola t70
It was 37.4 inches, 950mm high.
/32 is 29mm which is the same as the thunder slot Lola t70 specification above.
So again, the thunder slot looks remarkably well scaled in this respect.

Have you considered that other manufacturers may well be stretching their cars to "look right" for the collectors among us?
Alan

·
Registered
258 Posts
Alan,
I have to say that I do totally disagree with your opinion. The Thunderslot Lola is a great offer for racers right out of the box but it is not a scale model because the relation of width to length and height is not correct. The same with NSR Ford MKIV and GT40. Fast und fun to drive but not scale!
Best regards,
Thomas

21 - 30 of 30 Posts