SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, could someone who has had any connection with Nottingham slot car track contact this forum with a view to revive it, nearest to me is Loughborough, if there is any interest in this idea please get in touch.Thanks.Micky

·
David K Phillipson
1,433 Posts
hi micky,

you appear to have put this in the wrong forum
try nottingham slot club in the clubs section

notts slot club has been looking for a new venue for some years and seems to have either given up trying or finding it impossible to get decently prices premises

the one some of the lads from mansfield go to is Gainsborough, if you would like to give that a try then let me know

·
Kev
2,723 Posts
Hi Micky, and welcome to SF

This is a more suitable area for your request.

I went to the Nottm club a couple of times, some years ago. It was a 4 lane scaley track, mounted on large wooden boards with castors on.
Never really seemed organised, although to be fair to Mark and the others, they had just moved to Arnold at the time.

A club in the Nottm area would interest me too, as i am from Mansfield.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi,

My name's Chris and i'm looking for people interested in starting up a slot car club for Nottinghamshire. I live near Bingham on the A46/A52 and am new to club racing.

Hopefully there are some people here who used to race at the old Nottingham club who could help get started and give me some advice.

I'm genuinely interested in getting set up and getting a track designed and built. I have a logo produced and I also build web sites so if the interest is there, we can get going.

Get in touch if you're interested.

Regards
Chris

·
Paul 'Cookie' Cook
564 Posts
I think theres an interest to run a club in Nottingham, and i know a few people who would be willing to help and come and race (including me), but its just finding them and kicking them up the bums!

You say your new to club racing, does this mean you've visited a club before or just read the forum? Cos visiting a club would help you understand what your letting yourself in for by offering to start one!

Theres 2 great clubs not too far away, 30 mile along the A52 you have Swaton and 40 mile North you have Gainsborough. Both are cracking clubs, I race at them both on a weekly basis, but both are miles apart in type of racing, track and set up of club etc.

If I were you I'd go along to both and see which you like and get an understanding and an idea of what your trying to achieve, instead of going into it blind. Both clubs would help you set up etc, and tell you how they run and sort things out.

Just my idea, but if your serious i think it would be useful to do this, as you will find support and help there.

All the best with your venture

Regards

Cookie

*EDIT* - you also have a club Melton Mowbray and of course Quorn, both about 20 miles away from you. Only ever been to Melton and that too was a good club too. I know none are on your doorstep, but you are spoilt for choice really!! Plus they all overlap each others catchment area, and you in the middle of them all!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks Cookie that's all very useful.

I'm new to racing as a Scalextric set is all I have at home. It's always been something i've wanted to have a go at. Thursdays are not a good night for me so i'll tak a look at the ones you've suggested and see which is best.

I've had great success helping Bingham Model Railway Club to grow by creating a new logo, website and promoting them. They have almost doubled their membership in my 18 months with them so i'm willing to give it a go with advice and help from experienced racers.

Regards
Chris

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Will you be able to tap into the railway guys, get a few to crossover? Especially if there is scope to add scenery to the race track?

Nice site you have done for them by the way.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I can have a word with a few of the railway guys yes. I also have a lad I know who is interested and own a metalwork company which could be useful. I also have contacts for timber supplies etc as I work in construction.

I just need people who are willing to sit down and discuss / plan the idea really so we can get it moving.

Like I say, i'm a novice. I can create logo's websites, organise things, get sponsors, clubroom etc but I have no experience of club racing.

Chris

·
Registered
33 Posts
HI Guys
Its so good to see so many people wanting to race in the Nottingham area.
I am the Chairman of the Nottingham slot club. Yes I have been away some time but its been hard to find time to find somewhere to run the club. As I work in retail (Modelzone Derby) I still have the track sat in my garage looking for some where to race. Its a completely new design which was to make set up easier and quick so more time for racing. The club has had some great racing in the time it was running in Arnold but the cost was to much.
I am willing to work with you all to find a place close by where we can revive the club. its not easy finding a place which will take a 10mtr by 4 mtr track and store it for a price that is sustainable.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Premises is the really hard bit, do you have some options there?

Everything else you can pick up by visiting other clubs, and asking lots of questions. I am sure you will get a tonne of help and advice.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I live in long Eaton now and have tried locally but no hall can store the track. Village halls are good has they tend to be cheaper than community halls. The ideal place would be like some railway clubs to have a permanent base. One of the things I am doing is talking to the local council to get funding and a place to run from but that can take a while.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm secretary for Bingham Model Railway Club and we contacted a local farmer who converted an old tractor shed for us. We pay him £200 per month but have 32 members paying £10 a month by standing order. The advantage is that it's available 24hrs a day - 7 days a week. We also applied for a grant from the Co-op which we received.

It just depends what you want to pay. £10 a month is nothing to me if it means you have a facility which you can essentially do what you want to.

Chris

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've just spoken to someone I know and I have a great venue that I can hire for FREE!!!! The only issue being there is no storage so the track would need to be put up and taken down every week. Is that possible because I can block book this venue anytime? It has a bar as well!!

·
Paul 'Cookie' Cook
564 Posts
At the end of the day anything is possible. Permanent rooms are great cos the track never moves, but are expensive. Places where you rent are cheap (free in this case), but it means more work setting up and pulling down the track and having somewhere to store it, move it around etc. Each format is used by many clubs and each have their pro's and cons. Its all in the planning and i'm sure the moveable track can be sorted out very well so it shouldn't take that long set up etc.

But its what does everyone want.

The best thing to do is for groby and nottslot to get talking to each other, as one has the track and one has a venue - are you both willing to work at it, give and take a little bit each and then go from there.

Arrange a meeting somewhere, invite the old club members from nottslot if they want to come, invite interested people from here etc and see what happens - remember, talk is cheap and can lead to great things - and its all in the planning!!

Regards

Cookie

·
Registered
33 Posts
When we was in Arnold the cost was about £140 a month the problem was making sure we had people turn up to make it work and it was for only 2hrs which it not long enough for racing. I do still have contact with the members who still want to race. If we could be like the railway club it would be good as there is more time for racing. The problem of storage as been the biggest problem as the track is on boards biggest is 3x4 and its ok to take down and put up, its a nightmare to transport to a venue every week it was bad enough taking from Arnold to new hall in Burton Joyce which let us down. I have found some great halls but with no storage its the only let down.
Great to find free place would there be a place to store close by and transport to move it each week.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have storage within 10 minutes and also have 4 or 5 potential members. If we had someone with a van we'd have no problem. We could have the venue for 4 hours if we needed to. All I need to do is tell the guy when we want to start, what night, times, and make a block booking.

·
Premium Member
8,227 Posts
Sounds like the Nottingham club is on a winner already! . North East Restoration Club Slots was just about defunkt in the New Year with only 3 regulars. We are now up to 25 members, with interest coming in all the time. We are very lucky to be part of the local classic car restoration club, so we have absolutely no overheads, and benefit from the use of a kitchen area.
I think we are also lucky in that we are the only club in the huge Tyne,Wear,Durham,Tees area racing `out of the box slots`, and given the size of Nottingham you lot should also benefit from your geography greatly.
Good Luck with the new club
Kev

·
Registered
21 Posts
I can book the venue for a couple of hours this Sunday night if it's free and we can go up there and decide what we want to do? It won't cost anything other than any drinks you want to buy. Let me know?

1 - 20 of 64 Posts