SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Hi Harry,

I have four of these cosworths, they are all pretty quick!

You could try sanding the tyres on sandpaper (i use any sandpaper in the house, I think the racers here could tell you which grade to use for best results) and cleaning them by running them on the sticky side of a roll of gaffer/duct tape.

If it still wheel spins, replacement tryes are easy to buy.

Thanks

Matthew

·
Jim Moyes
5,069 Posts
Also worth checking the wheels aren't loose on the axle. It was a common problem with Scalextric cars of that era. Easily fixed with a couple of squeezes of a wire cutter plier across the end of the axle. Just enough to mark it!

·
WRP World Champ 2015/2016
4,289 Posts
The tyres off both my resurrected Cozzies are now part of a tyrewall. Get a new set, they were cheap as chips at my local model shop (£2 a set, if I remember).

I like the side-cutter idea, not tried that, I just glued my wheels on with Airfix glue.
Also a dab of hot glue over the rear axle bushes will help reduce that unearthly clatter from the rear end. I've set my cozzies up as tail happy, have a great old laugh swiping them around the track.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
QUOTE (snurfen @ 7 Dec 2011, 18:15) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Also a dab of hot glue over the rear axle bushes will help reduce that unearthly clatter from the rear end.
This clatter has been bothering me more & more particularly with Scaleys & urethanes - can you give more info about where you apply the glue - does it end up around the axle to make it a tight fit or just on the the bush to stop it moving in the mounting points?

Chris

·
4,289 Posts
To be honest Chris, if the Cozzie has been used extensively, there may well be a bit of wear at the axle as it passes through the bush - in which case a dollop of silicone grease will alleviate the racket for a while.

There's a good post on here smewhere with piccies showing you how to do it. I'll post back when I find it and provie a link.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Clean the bushings with alcohol, then insert the axle. Put some CA glue on the axle and push it through the bushings, then keep turning the axle while the CA cures. I've never heard of anyone using hot glue for this, only CA. I usually add a very little bit of oil on the axle. You want to do both at once so the bushings and axle remain true across the back of the chassis.

Oh, and before you do this, make sure the bushings are glued into the chassis if necessary. No use taking out the slack from the inside of the bushing if the outside is rolling around.

Randy

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They are 19mm OD, 14mm ID and 10mm wide on the rim.

Couldn't give a stuff what the code is I just want to order some tyres of this size.

There is a bloke doing Jiffy Bags full of 12mm ID, 10mm wide ones on ebay. Are these too small or will they stretch? Meh. Going to knock it on the head and watch United get knocked out of Europe.

·
4,289 Posts
LOL, they might do, it's a bit of a stretch, but could be fun as they will slide a bit better. According to my mic they come in at 13.5 by 10. So we're almost in agreement.
I think I'd better apologise to Randy, that could have come over as a bit snotty!

Sorry Randy, didn't mean it in an offensive way, just joking

·
Registered
826 Posts
Snurfen, no offense taken at all. Two things came to me after I posted, one was that you probably meant hot glue the bushings to the chassis and two was that I hadn't actually answered the original question at all. I didn't have time to post anything else until now.

Randy

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Tis not

'Hang on' Harry...

...Tis 'HURRY UP' !

Harry's in a HURRY.

Nice one on the vintage Scaleys, Flight-Lt.

A corking good soaking of alchohol from the officers-mess does the dickey...
...NO not beer old chap...

Bit of that cheap Russian aviation fuel they sell in Tesco's, cleans all the gunk off tyres super dooper !

If your short of a bob or 2, a bottle of meths hits the spot as well.

Tally-Ho

Si.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Flight-Lt. Snurfen, you have style my-boy.

By the bucket-load, I hasten to add.

Chop the roof off the old Cosey I say...

...No probs. with the old flying goggles on the noodle.

Convertibles, all the rage these days, so they tell me.

Get those jolly old tyres rejuvinated & they won't see you for dust !

A pair of decent reliable Browning's in the head-lamps, a force to be reckoned with, what !

Give 'em hell on the ground & in the air old-bean, that's what I say.

Toodle-pip for now chums.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts