SlotForum banner

tough choice but which one would you take ?

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I know they are doing a Rothmans livery in GT2, I reckon a GT1 fantasy version would be a stunner also

martini fantasy

·
Registered
363 Posts
Surely the longer, sleeker car is the GT1/98 as modelled by Slot-it and, originally, Fly. Not the Evo, which was mainly a front end redesign of the original GT1.
Correct - There was the round-headlight 911 GT1, the "996 headlight" GT1 Evo, and then the GT1/98 had the 996 headlight but also much more significant aerodynamic changes and superficially resembles the earlier 2 cars.

Similar evolution (no pun intended) as the Mercedes-Benz CLK GTR -> CLK LM -> CLR had, where the first 2 are almost easily interchanged and then the last one has found everything that the rulebook offers* and is borderline LMP.

*Rules like "must be able to hold a suitcase" - the CLR had a cubbyhole under the rear bodywork, and famously the Toyota GT-ONE had space for a suitcase inside the fuel tank. Not sure what loophole was used for the GT1/98, anyone got a scale suitcase?

·
Kevs Racing Bits
2,888 Posts
You beat me to it, GT1/98 is a different car.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
The GT1, GT1 Evo and GT1/98 were all GT1 cars, meaning that a road version had to be homologated. No modifications allowed after that. Same for the Mercedes CLK GTR, CLK LM and Toyota GTOne. The CLR however was a prototype, not a GT1 car.

Given the poor results they had in 1997, Lotus did not homologate the Elise GT1 to avoid the costs involved in the homologation. The cars were run on a new name, with a different engine (from the Viper if my memory is right), the year after, but the results were even worse.

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts
The GT1, GT1 Evo and GT1/98 were all GT1 cars, same for the Mercedes CLK GTR, CLK LM and Toyota GTOne.
With the addition of the Toyota being the only car to compete in both classes 1998 as GT1 and 1999 as GTP

Given the poor results they had in 1997, Lotus did not homologate the Elise GT1 to avoid the costs involved in the homologation. The cars were run on a new name, with a different engine (from the Viper if my memory is right), the year after, but the results were even worse.

There's a fair bit of "Dutch" involvement in the Lotus Elise turned Bitter GT1 story, a great English article can be found here

with kind regards
Tamar

·
Slot Car Racer and Builder
1,742 Posts
My twin pack arrived yesterday - they are really special cars. Top job by Revoslot

Reactions: r377
21 - 30 of 30 Posts