SlotForum banner
21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I don't know how you've managed to bear the suspense! When I removed the masking I was relieved to find crisp edges between the two colours and I could breath easily again. Taking off masking to reveal your new models colour scheme is one of lifes little pleasures...

I was now able to do one of my favourite bits of any model, to rake through my decal collection and search out suitable race numbers and sponsors logos. For me this is when the model starts to come to life and being a simple 1960s race car colour scheme it didn't take too long to finish the T70 and it's now ready for the lacquer coat.

If you haven't all fallen asleep by now the next post will be about detailing the body and some info on the chassis.

David

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Quite the reverse, David! You've got me bouncing out of bed in the morning to check on progress.
It's the only time I get a few minutes peace on the computer... Oh oh. Here they come now....
Lola looks nice enough to eat!

·
Registered
759 Posts
Beautiful work, David!

I'm looking froward to seeing it completed, so keep us posted! I really like seeing all the steps and the work in progress pics. I might have to get myself a Lola body too. Which ones are good, avaliable today and not too expensive? (too much to ask for I know
, but no harm in asking )
What do you use when rescribeing the panel lines, by the way?

Toby

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I use the Bare Metal Foil panel scriber which I bought mail order through the Hobby Annual - if you don't know this is a catalogue of arts and crafts and hobbies which I got at WH Smith.

The Lola is from Classic and Betta in Southport 01704 229342 and only cost about £5

David

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I've more or less finished the body now having added the piano wire roll bar, Bare Metal Foiled and fixed both spoilers, added a couple of Fly oil and petrol caps and a simple card interior with a Monogram driver figure rescued from a naff old bodyshell painted as John Surtees. The engine detail is temporary and I'll fit a Max Winter item when it arrives.

I chose the Riko chassis for this car as it was the sort of cheap and cheerful car I loved driving in the 60s, I've had the Rikochet motor from new in about 1968 and it still runs very well, I've fitted Cox wheels as they're near enough in style to Lola wheels.

I've given the car a try out on a simple oval test track and it goes well, I reckon it will be fun to drive at the Bordeaux event, it won't win but I'll enjoy myself and that is what the hobby is about for me.

David

·
Administrator
9,908 Posts
Very nice looking car, David. And it may go much better than you think in Bordeaux!

Much to my surprise, at least, it's not been the fancier cars that have been fastest on this track, but some of the classic types: Monogram, Atlas, Strombecker and even Revell chassis. Don't know if this is the nature of the plastic track, or just that nobody has really been able to tune a fancier chassis (pan, rattler, etc) for the moment. Of course, the natural magnetraction of the Atlas and Strombecker motors doesn't hurt either! But the first year, it was a very well prepared Monogram Porsche that won the scratch race (not the whole thing because a few other drivers didn't appreciate a light blue Porsche even tho it was well done).

We had never considered just having a CanAm race by the way.... I had kind of thought we'd go toward more specific categories, like Nascar, but Samy (the originator of the meeting and co-director with me) wanted to keep it more general for awhile to encourage more participation. If we have as many entrants this year as it looks like, maybe we can make it more specific in coming years: Nascar, CanAm, Czech sports cars, etc.
Don

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
And shiny side down;

Several years old now, I'm amazed to say, so it's starting to look a bit beat up. And I did polish that chassis once, I'm sure....
It's got a plumber system, hinged on the frame, not the drop arm, and the pans are screwed to posts epoxied into the body, with a bit of free movement.
It looks fine on the track, honest!

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Maybe the Lola will surprise me in Bordeaux Don but listening to some of the chat in Paris the other weekend there sounds like there is some quite serious preparation going on.

I hope you don't think I was being critical about the Can Am theme Vs any sports car - I had originally understood that it was for Can Am this year and was just a bit disappointed but had obviously been mis-informed by a third party.

Did you sell that 1/24 Cox Ford GT I kept looking at in Soisy?

Howmet, deja vu or what I had forgotten that you'd done the Lola - looking at your chassis I think you would leave me trailing in your wake.

Now what 1/24 car shall I put together for Bordeaux?

David

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Beautiful work, David! Love yours too, Howmet -- fabulous chassis!

Interestingly, Surtees only raced the T70 with the number 3, the car modelled by David, at the opening race of the 1966 Can-Am series, at St. Jovite Quebec on September 11, 1966. He switched to number 7 for the rest of the season. To be a little nitpicking, the pictures that I've seen of the car all have the diaplane and spoiler painted red.

Howmet -- you have mail.

Kind regards

Russell

·
Administrator
9,908 Posts
Nice brace of Lolas, guys...

Speaking of Lolas, does anybody know anything about a Mecom T70 in red? Yves bought an 1/24 AMT at the swap meet in Paris, and it was painted a deep red, which it seems is the color on the AMT box, supposedly modeled after a 1965 Mecom model.... is this a mistake or was there actually such a thing? We haven't been able to track down any color other than the usual metallic blue.

No problem David, I would have liked CanAm too, but we should still have a very nice grid, including a few odd sports cars. I'm sure at least half the heats will wind up de facto CanAm.

I do still have the Cox Ford by the way, if you're interested.

Russell, did you get either of my last couple emails? I have a feeling I have occasional email problems these days....

A bientôt!
Don

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Just thinking, idly...

The McLaren M1B must be one of the prettiest but most under-represented slot car Can-Am models. I have a really nice Classic shell that's been sitting around for ages. Has anyone else tackled this one? More colour schemes than a chameleon in a kaleidoscope. Just need a bit of incentive to get to work. Once the Ford 3L's finished, that is...

Also, does anyone have any interest in the later period Can-Am? There were some weird and wacky cars around in the second series that might make interesting subjects....

Bonzer job, David, and good luck in Bordeaux. What is it at Bordeaux? Could we have some info? Sounds fun.

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
Don, I don't think Mecom ever entered a red Lola themselves, but they distributed Lola cars for a period in the mid 60's so it may well be that a customer car appeared in red. I couldn't find a red example of a Mecom team car, but that doesn't mean there wasn't one. C'mon, Russell or PdL.... we know you know...

Another year, I hope, and I'll be joining you guys building these cool cars! Awesome stuff!

21 - 40 of 71 Posts