SlotForum banner
41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
QUOTE The McLaren M1B must be one of the prettiest but most under-represented slot car Can-Am models
The M1B is a beauty but my vote for prettiest Can-Am McLaren would go to the M6. Just!

This is my Classic shell:

I've had this since the late '70s
and it's really time I got round to building it! There you go howmet, once the Fords are all tidied away...

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
First, an apology to David. David, I should have known that you would have researched your subject thoroughly!

The #3 Team Surtees Lola did in fact have a bare metal front diaplane and rear spoiler, when Surtees drove it to victory in the first Can-Am race at St. Jovite in 1966:-

There were in fact two occasions when the Team Surtees Lola T70 wore #3 in the 1966 Can-Am; at St. Jovite and Los Angeles Times Grand Prix at Riverside, where a second entry was driven by Graham Hill. Surtees won the race with car #7 and Hill finished 3rd with the #3 sister car.

The Hill car had more of a front spoiler rather than a diaplane, which was also bare metal. The rear spoiler was red:-

The #7 Surtees car appears to have had, variously, a bare metal full-width diaplane or a red front spoiler, with the rear spoiler red. The car also ran either with the #7 in white on the sides, or with the number in black on white roundels.

Don, I've never seen pictures of a red Mecom Lola, but more than a hundred T70s were built between 1965 and 1967! Lothar Motschenbacher drove this red T70 in 1967, which may have previously been a Mecom car:-

Your Monogram Lola T70 is on its way to you.

Howmet, I agree, the McLaren M1B was a fantastic looking car. Hopefully this is the incentive that you were looking for:-

Kind regards

Russell

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Russell - I haven't been ignoring you, but my job requires unsociable weekend working. I've just seen your comments about the spoilers on the T70 and you're right I do put my trusty anorak on and research my models, my car is the St Jovite first ever Can Am championship race winner.

Howmet - The M1B is superb isn't it and I have my Classic fibreglass shell in my projects pending pile, I'm torn between one of Bruce's own or maybe the Simoniz Special where a large rear wing had been added. I've also got a T160, M6 and a Honker not forgetting my M8B resin copy awaiting my attention - so much to do and so little time!!

David

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
What bothers me is that before I did this little bit of research on the Team Surtees Lola T70s, is that I had been under the impression that the 1/18th scale GMP diecast models were pretty accurate replicas. As this picture of the GMP version of the #3 St. Jovite Surtees car shows, it's not!

As with David's model, it should have bare metal spoilers and they have the sponsor decals all wrong. Very poor for a $75.00 model.

Kind regards

Russell

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
QUOTE (howmet tx @ 20 Mar 2004, 23:44)What is it at Bordeaux? Could we have some info? Sounds fun.
Sorry Howmet I missed this earlier.

The Bordeaux Slot Racing Club holds an International Vintage Slot Racing Meeting every year and this years is the fourth, it is on June the 5th and 6th. This years races are for 1/32 and 1/24 Sports Prototype and GT cars built between 1948 - 1968.

The slot cars have to be faithfull representations of the original car and be painted and finished in the style that they raced in. The equipment used must be up to and including 1972 although repro stuff is alright if it's judged to be identical to the original.

The event is a two day affair with practice and a meal on the Saturday and Sunday being the race day, with entries from around Europe and the US it is slot cars version of "The Goodwood Revival".

The website that takes you to previous years event photos and information is http://fx.bernagaud.free.fr/vhc2003.htm

David

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Sounds wonderful! But I will be on a tar-strewn windy beach on the east coast with my family at that time. Without even access to a computer and Slot Forum. A short period of 'virtual' slotting.
Have a great time, David, and could you post a report when you return? Hope the Lola runs well.

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Howmet - the Lola is going very well in "shake down tests", actually just driving it round and round a tiny oval of track to see nothing falls off it - but it is great fun to drive.

I'll let you know how it gets on in competition.

Your family holiday this year reminds me of some bracing childhood holidays in Southwold in the mid sixties camping on desolate windswept sites with just the freezing North Sea and a boating pond at Lowestoft for entertainment. I wonder why the Spanish package holiday became so popular about that time?

David

·
Phil Smith
4,534 Posts
"The equipment used must be up to and including 1972 although repro stuff is alright if it's judged to be identical to the original."

Hi David, your quote from the regulations is correct, so how do you justify using Maxi Models detailing parts?
Surely these are out of the question, Don?

I have used their drivers in the past and plan to use one this year, but where can you get a full driver from that which was made in the sixties?
But intakes etc can be scratchbuilt or got from your parts bins, so personaly I think modern detailing is out.

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
I don't know the answer Phil, I'll leave it up to Don but if they've allowed new driver figures by Max Winter I would think the same principle applies for his engine detail parts.

David

·
Registered
715 Posts
Marvelous Lt70s, guys. I did four of these guys as 3D racing models for the classic racing sim Sports Car GT. Id did Parnelli Jones #21 as well as Gurney's blue and white model ... Awesome job!!

Maltese

·
Administrator
9,905 Posts
A little follow-up on all this stuff - sorry about the delay, work got in the way...

Phil, ever hear of Ulrich mini-men?

I talked it over with Samy, and using this kind of detail stuff is okay; sure it would be better to scratch-build everything, or use period parts, but this is not always feasible, and certainly not controllable, so it's okay. Proof is that nobody noticed that you were using these drivers, Phil... and we had a couple of eagle-eyed experts (well, you were one of them).

In other news.... Russell, package received, but I can't get an email through to you! Did you change addresses? Could you send me your email, assuming you have mine?

Rocky, if you happen to see this, could you send me an email too? Don't seem to have your address anymore, since I changed providers.

Over 30 entries already received for Bordeaux - it's going to be a very international year!

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Thankyou for the clarification Don. I assure you that my intention is to keep to the spirit of the rules and that I am not entering the race meeting with any expectations other than to enjoy myself.

David

·
Phil Smith
4,534 Posts
When I have used the Maxi models drivers I have used a vintage head so it is not really that noticable, also, I have often used the Tamiya drivers in 1/24 which I am sure were only produced after '72.
I always try to use vintage stuff but it could get a little silly, you can't really use 30 year old paints and glues!!
I just try to keep it in the 'spirit' of the competition.

·
Administrator
9,905 Posts
Is that the "white spirit" of the competition, Phil? Goes good with those 30 year old paints and glues....

I know you are very much in the spirit (a little too talented in the car detailing and painting department, but we all have our little faults), and we try to keep things within reason.

Ditto for you David, none of this is a big deal, just trying to keep it fair. It's always a bit of a balancing act, and for me the whole point is just to get together, show each other our toys, and find out how the things run.

This year will be my first time in Turin, and they're saying just stock 60s slot cars (except for tires of course), so we'll see how that goes. I've been preparing an AMT McKee, King F/D Lola, Strombecker Lotus 19 and Cheetah, and a few others in 1/32 (maybe the famous Monogram Lola T70 too).

In 1/24, an AMT Lola T70 or a Tamiya de Tomaso King Cobra... - thought I had a Tamiya Lola T70 using the AMT body as well, but turns out the body isn't exactly the same as the AMT, ie, there's a big bulge in the cockpit!
Don

·
Phil Smith
4,534 Posts
Hi Don
Me and Derek will be in Turin,
I've got a K&B mustang on the go in 1/32 and a AMT Chaparral in 1/24, but things will probably change by the end of the month!

I have been trying to get Ezio to send me a wiring diagram for the Italian controller plugs that they use, but no answer as yet, any idea on how to wire them up?

·
Administrator
9,905 Posts
A Mustang???? yuck! (sorry, old anti-US iron prejudice...).

Ezio said he would send me a plug with the wiring diagram - seems it's rather odd. According to Samy, we shouldn't even bother, and they'll lend us controllers! But would still like to take a crack at it. Will let you know if I hear anything from Ezio.

Why can't the world standardize on a controller connector???
Don

·
Premium Member
2,143 Posts
Don
Take a look at the ANSI [Italian Federation] site, click on "technica" and you will find wiring diagrams for there tracks, last i raced in Italy [1985] they were using a thing called a "Magic" plug, looked like an industrial type mains plug with edge connections.
Problem is that no one makes a dedicated plug for slot tracks they all seem to be mains plugs adapted for our use, this is a dangerous practice because if someone [a child for instance] was to pick up a controller not knowing what it was
and then decided to plug it into the mains socket to find out the results could be very serious indeed!

[oneofwos]

41 - 60 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.