SlotForum banner
61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Hi Don

I've just got back from spending a couple of days in Bahrain -- brilliant Grand Prix!

Thanks for letting me know that the package arrived safely.

Kind regards

Russell

·
Registered
714 Posts
QUOTE Problem is that no one makes a dedicated plug for slot tracks they all seem to be mains plugs adapted for our use, this is a dangerous practice because if someone [a child for instance] was to pick up a controller not knowing what it was and then decided to plug it into the mains socket to find out the results could be very serious indeed!
An excellent safety point.
But I think the simple answer would be to ensure that the female socket was attached to the controller and the male plug in the track board. Thus no plug on the controller to stick in the wrong socket. This seems so obvious, yet it doesn't appear to be done. Maybe there is a practical reason why not?

Whether transposed or not, I think that the ideal plug/sockets would be the small ones used for PC power supplies or alternatively, cannon XLRs.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I'm not entirely sure I follow you on this safety issue. The little 3 pin plugs we have in the UK are far too small to fit into our mains sockets. What am I missing.

Apologies for drifting off topic.

Mark.

·
Registered
420 Posts
???
If the male socket is on the track would it not be powered when the transformer is on? So then easily shorted by unsuspecting fingers? IF you've got a a proper transformer you might have a few ampere - or more and this would certainly be a noticable 'experience'.. - or did I miss something here???

//peter

·
Jan Groosmuller
834 Posts
QUOTE (Mecoprop @ 5 Apr 2004, 17:09)Whether transposed or not, I think that the ideal plug/sockets would be the small ones used for PC power supplies or alternatively, cannon XLRs.
Over here in the Netherlands most of the clubs use XLR-plugs, they are indeed rock-solid and give you a more than decent connection...
In fact, thay are so good I even use them at home...

Imagine the power you have at hand from separate 15 V 3 A supplies (stabilized, one per lane) through XLR-plugs to the controller... very impressive indeed...

Jan

·
Phil Smith
4,534 Posts
Thanks, John, for the link to the Italian racing federation, all the info I need.

I think that the XLR plugs are the best, they lock, they are metal and the are available evrywhere.

Don, Ezio does have a few spare controllers, but they are of variable quality and you can never seem to find the right ohmage for your car, or someone else wants the one you want as well, so you have to share, difficult when you are in the same race

Best to take your own.
here is a proper link to the Italian site

·
Anthony Bartlett
3,255 Posts
David

Absolutely superb. When I see your , Russell's and Phils work - dont know why I bother!!!

Hope to see you, Phil and Don in Bordeaux this year even though we are now truly travelling from the deep south.

Anthony

PS - Phil - are your cars on this site??

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Anthony

Thanks for the compliment but your work is excellent. Joel is also coming to Bordeaux by the way.

David

·
Administrator
9,905 Posts
And the Queen just told me that she's going to stay for Bordeaux as well! Possibly with Chirac as pit crew....

Guys, all your work is excellent, so no false modesty please!

I'm mediocre and proud of it! Luckily I'm co-director of the meeting so I can choose the rules to suit my car (only obscure Swiss sports cars with Ferrari engines are eligible this year).

Now, where's that #26 rewind wire?

Cheers,
Don

·
Anthony Bartlett
3,255 Posts
hey Don - no false modesty intended . .... I have some of Phils cars and have seen Davids and Russlls work first hand - so I know..............

Phil- nope....... will contact off line.........
Sigh - will have alook at Bodeaux - as usual..... although I have a track these days to test.....

Nice to see you all on this forum.....

Anthony

61 - 71 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.