SlotForum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone explain just who is ripping us off in the UK?

How often do you look for something from a UK supplier, find it costs £x,and then look it up from a USA supplier and find it costs $x?

Even with postal charges to bring it halfway across the World, this doesn't bring it up to the UK price.

Typical example is the Revell Kurtis Midget Racer Kit - £25 from UK supplier : $22 from US supplier. Postage of $13 still makes it a cheaper option.
It seems unlikely that the unit transport costs for commercial numbers would be $13.So who's getting the rake-off?

If it's not the retailers, is it the distributors/wholesalers, or the manufacturers - or who?

Regards,

"Perplexed of Yorkshire"(David).

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, there isn't customs duty on model kits, but there is VAT on total purchase price+postage+insurance if it comes to more than £45 (or thereabouts), and there can be an exorbitant "handling charge". However, it seems to be a bit of a lottery whether or not these charges are made.

No it isn't a problem specific to slot-related commodities.

It is only a few years since the scandal of high real car prices in Britain was revealed.Even without taxes, manufacturers were brazenly charging higher prices here "because the market will stand it".

Similar principles seem to apply in many other fields.However the car modelling world is a relatively small one, so it seemed the culprits might be easier to identify.

I should say, I can understand why things might be expensive from small-scale, or home-enthusiast manufacturers;but I really don't see it in the case of large international companies, when their products come from the same factories in China, wherever they are sold.

David.

p.s. Thanks for the welcome. You clearly know about the mission statement of Yorkshire:

"See all,hear all,say nowt - eat all, sup all, pay nowt"

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.