Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Gary Skipp
6,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never realised a Porsche 911 GT1 98 and a BMW LMR both took clr-like flips ta Road Atlanta.

The BMW incident seems purely to be slipstreaming right before a fruting great hill (suzuki bridge), which has seen many cars (panoz, dome etc) leave the ground momentarily.

The Porsche however, seems to before the run down to the chicane (at least from the footage I have) and therfore I concur that was more down to the car - similar to the problems the clr had.

Were these incidents known to you? I only found out about them today.

·
Simon Moss (Undisputed #1 Racer Fan)
553 Posts
I must say though that the Road Atlanta course is superb to drive around, especially on the Le Mans game for the PS2. It is definitely in the top 3 for circuits that I have driven round (including fictional circuits used in Gran Turismo).

It has a long fast straight with a 90 degree s-bend chicane at the end of it and a suberb chicane going over the crest of a hill. A bit like O-rouge at the Spa circuit. I haven't got a clue what names they give to these parts of the circuit, or even if I have spelt O-rouge correctly, maybe somebody can enlighten me.

M

·
Gary Skipp
6,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you've played LM you'll know the spot I mean under the Suzuki bridge, after the chicane. Even the cars in the digital world take off there.

The Porsche flipped after the second 90 degree bend on the run down to the chicane.

I couldn't get on with it in the panoz, I ruined our race (that was our prep for the 24hr
)

·
Simon Moss (Undisputed #1 Racer Fan)
553 Posts
Yes, I know the bit you mean. You are at full speed over the brow and turning at the same time. The car goes very light. If you don't have the right line you end up on the grass. I don't think it's possible to flip the cars in the game, but a very dangerous and exciting corner.

M

·
Registered
721 Posts
QUOTE Were these incidents known to you? I only found out about them today.

Of course I knew that. What? Are you guys living on an island or something?

BTW, Road Atlanta is considered by most to be the best circuit in the States and one of the best in the World.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Road Atlanta used to be a lot worse about causing cars to get airborne on the back straight. In fact, the chicance that is now in the back straight was added because of this.

Hulme went airborne in a McLaren during the 1971 Can-Am and there was another incident (who and when I cannot recall, other than it was during practice rather than a race) that ultimately resulted in the chicance being added.

Dennis is right about one thing: Road Atlanta is a wonderful track. Anyone who can hold the hammer down under the bridge and into turn 12 is a very brave driver indeed!

I've never driven the track in real competition, but will always recall one very interesting day at the first Walter Mitty. I did a few laps in the 215th LHD E-Type (assembled in late 1961) and then jumped immediately into a 1974 V12 SIII E-Type for a few. First to last, back to back!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Dennis, it was not my intention to infer that you were only right about one thing! :cool:

BTW, can we assume you had fun at the Hysterics, as PdL terms them?

·
Registered
721 Posts
Cheater no inference taken whatsoever. Just a joke on my part. Would have loved to run Road America. Have not been out there yet.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Dennis, if you wish to head this way, you're welcome to stay at our little hovel, if we're not away. We're located on the north side of Atlanta, about 45 miles south of the Road Atlanta.

Lots of fun car stuff to do around here, even if you don't come during a major event. Since one of my customers is VP of Elan Motorsports, we might even be able to sneak into the track.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts