Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got the chance to give it's car a first run. I started off with the weight taped in the middle of the car just to set a base line. The car is extremely quick in a straight line with a fair amount wheelspin from a standing start the car enters the coners well and is just a bit unsettled and the tail hangs out easily. Push it too much and it spins out. Then it picked up a staple and and it went straight into the gear and demolished it, that's the trouble with using 80 pitch plastic gears. Fortunately I had a spare, gear changed and the weight fixed in it's forward position.Still a lot of wheelspin but got better as the track cleaned up, definitely an improvement in cornering the front is really planted and the tail could be hung out at rediculous angles. Gave up the hooligan driving and managed a lap time of 0.3 sec better. Next I removed the tape and let the weight move backwards and forwards, there was definitely less wheelspin on acceleration and the front didn't lift as far as I could see. The car was well planted through the corners and you could hear the weight moving as it hit the stops at either end of the chassis. Another improvment of 0.2 sec,this makes it just 0.2 sec of the class record, not bad for a first time out. A lot of the perfomance is due to the fantastic motor AB Slotsport built for me but I believe that the chassis design works. The lightweight, 3.2 ounces, also helps. After running I put the car on the tech block to find that the rear ground clearance was 2mm, double what it should be, I think this is the reason for the tail hanging out. I'll true the tyres down by a mm and have another go, I firmly believe the record could be in danger. The design shows real promise and I can see where improvements could be made and reduce weight. May make a mark 2 but I'll give this more running first..