SlotForum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
A few years ago on the local commercial track, drag strip, on a busy Saturday afternoon two characters came in to drag race while the other tracks were busy. They had set up a car with a model rocket motor on board and rigged up a battery type ignitor and set it off for a timed run. Well the car took off and the track cleared out quick, when the pall of smoke enveloped that end of the building and the noise had everyone ducking for cover.

Would have been funnier if the owner had not blown a gasket and called the cops and had these two guys picked up for disturbing the peace and threatening bodily harm to his patrons.

After some conversations they were let off with orders to never come near the place again. Hard to believe how much smoke that thing put out and how it stank.

Some of us thought it was funny but still don't talk about it with him yet.

Larry S.

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
QUOTE I automatically assumed a drag car.

Sorry... I'm allergic to the word "drag".

Air is useful, quite true! But when heated up it becomes....

Okay....seriously, does anyone actually have access to a slot car drag strip long enough to play with rocket-powered slot cars? Didn't think so....

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Depends.

A drag strip is 1/4 mile long. We have enough space for 1/32 of that distance at slot tech. All we need is some kind of arresting device (no, not a policeman!!).

Mark.

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
Yeah, I know, Diff, but really, the 1/4 mile becomes 41.25 feet plus the shutdown room. Shutdown room for an electric car is long enough and that has dynamic brakes! How do you control the braking on a rocket car to that same degree?

Look, I'm not against fun... I've done some weird things...
...but, really, I don't want to be in an enclosed space when people start running rocket drag cars!

I know, I know... my age is showing yet again....

Where it would be cool, though, is an outdoor setup for a scale land speed record attempt.... like Bonneville, but for slot cars....

·
Registered
899 Posts
You can also achieve thrust by putting a small amount of water into a plastic 'fizzy'drink bottle, and pumping it full of compressed air. They take off a treat. The air seems to force out the water and whoosh! away you go.

I noticed although no mention of the Mr Moped, "Methane" project.
Now,.. if thats not a intro for a fart joke, ..!

All the mechanicals could be chucked away leaving only four wheels 2 axles and a small plastic Coka-Cola container inside the body pressurised to the max with processed air grafted from the roof space of an old person home.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
QUOTE (Fergy @ 24 Mar 2004, 04:30)Look, I'm not against fun... I've done some weird things...
...but, really, I don't want to be in an enclosed space when people start running rocket drag cars!

Wise words Fergy, age doesn't come into it
I did undertake a test firing of a model rocket motor glued upside down on a piece of card in the car park at Slot Tech just so they could see the smoke and noise. I used an old MRC Tracker motor which puts out enough smoke during it's coast phase to shame a Rastafarian night club! Yea Mon! (didn't seem to put them off much!
) In all probability, if we do have a drag race event, i reckon it will be held outside.

Mark.

uksqueezea - that's a classic picture

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.