SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Rockingham Slot Car Club invite entries for the 2022 edition of the
Annual ‘Double Trouble’ Vintage Race meeting

This year the event will be for models of pre 1972 Sports and GT Cars constructed, as in previous years, from parts commercially available before 1972, but excluding ‘B’ and ‘C’ can motors.

Motors must be mounted ‘inline’ or ‘sidewinder’ only.
‘Anglewinders’ are not permitted.

All cars must run on commercially available urethane tyres.
Sponge/foam rubber tyres or modern soft rubber tyres such as NSR are not permitted.
Tyres made from or containing silicon must not be used.

There will be a
1/32nd scale race on the Scale Track and
1/24th scale race on the Raceway.
Both races will be segmented;
4 x 3 minutes on the Scale Track
6 x 3 minutes on the Raceway.

There will be a Concours d’elegance competition for both scales using the ‘peoples vote’ system of judging and you must race your Concours entry.

As is usual for this event the results will be decided by adding each entrants Concours placing to their Race placing for each scale, and Overall, to find the winners.
Lowest score wins.
In the event of a tie the better Concours result will decide.
Anyone entering only one class will not be eligible for the Overall Championship.

Awards for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in both scales and overall.

Opening times;
Saturday 2nd April
9am to approximately 6pm for practice on both tracks.
The Scale Track will be closed at 11am for the running of the ‘Big Birds’ 1/24 scale Grand Prix Rockingham 'Big Birds' GP 2nd April 2022
and will reopen at the conclusion of that event.
The Raceway will remain open all day.
Sunday 3rd April
8am to 10am for practice on both tracks.
10am concours judging.
10.30am Racing – 1/32nd scale in the morning followed by 1/24th scale in the afternoon.

Entry fee £8 per class, £15 for both. Pay on the day.

Please indicate on this thread if you intend to enter.

Cheers.
M ick.

·
Kitbasher
4,426 Posts
My Hotel is booked and my fingers are crossed, entry please, all classes, thank you

·
Administrator
10,030 Posts
In principle, yes, all classes, but still waiting to see about cross-Channel travel conditions.

Don

·
Kitbasher
4,426 Posts
Hi there M I C K can you please confirm that Vac forms are welcome in both classes although the concours mark will probably favour hard body?

·
Kitbasher
4,426 Posts
Thanks for the prompt reply, I thought that was the case...

·
Administrator
10,030 Posts
But not in the Big Birds 1950s race, where bodies have to be hard, while vac-forms are ok in the 1-1/2 liter category.

Don

·
Premium Member
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You are correct Don.
The decisions are based on what was commercially available at the time.
There were plenty of sports cars in ready to run or kit form with scale vac form bodies in both scales.
There were also a number of 1/24th scale 1 1/2 litre GP cars with vac form bodies as well but I am not aware of any 1/24th scale 1950s GP cars, either RTR or as kits, from that time that had vac form bodies.
The whole 'Big Birds' event was originally based on using Merit kits only, we held an event at North London with those rules, but many people felt that this was too restrictive so it was expanded to allow a wider choice of cars. The 1/12 litre class was added at the same time and, as there are a number of RTR cars with vac form bodies in this class, the decision was taken to include them.
My personal view is that all classes should be 'hard body' only but the majority of entrants in these events voted otherwise when I did a survey a few years ago.
The rules we have ended up with, based on that survey, seem to work quite well and the events have been well supported.
The 'Big Birds' classes have also been embraced by Hawthorne Park slot car club in Liverpool and Mark Wester has held invitation events for them at his home track.
Cheers.
M ick.

·
John Roche
4,269 Posts
The Vanwall that was given away with Texaco in the USA has a vac body. It also has a can motor, friction drive and the rear tyres are much too wide. I'll dig mine out later and post some photos.

Cheers,

John

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi M ick,

Hotel booked, please put me down for both days - looking forward to no mask racing again....

cheers

Pete Crane

·
Administrator
10,030 Posts
I think the rules are just fine as defined ****.

For the historical record, as John points out, there was the Vanwall from Texaco/King F/D, as well as a couple prewar vac-form cars from Pactra: Bugatti, Gilmore Special, etc. I don't think there were any hard body 50s GP slot cars from American manufacturers, but the Japanese did a few, at least the Mercedes 154, an Indy Roadster and maybe some more.

Don

·
Administrator
10,030 Posts
Of course you're right, and MPC too - not to mention I had the MPC Lancia-Ferrari when I was a kid! Now how could I forget that???

We could wind up with a GP race like the Midwest clubs in the States: all Lancia-Ferraris! (and maybe a few Harvey Aluminum Indy cars...).

I do like the idea of getting all those Merit and Strombecker bodies on the track however.

Don

1 - 20 of 20 Posts