SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking for something that would give me an opportunity to photograph an car into a detailed scenic section of roadway.

Came up with this. A sort of Rolling roadway. Its a 4ft by 4ft section with a turntable on top. Supported by casters and driven by a mounted drill with a rubber wheel

fitted into the drill bit/ end of the drill. Drill is variable speed.

This will give me some very interesting options with some new photography ideas.

More soon....

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/QFnn-vwbXp0?rel=0

Quick coat of paint for the roadway time to test all the workings,....

A little bit more to do, I want to embed galvanised fencing wire in the slot for the rails to utilise the magnetic properties of the wire. and then power it up, so the car will run independently

and under its own power, so the track spins one way,

all I need to do then is balance the car power and the spinning turntable to make the car run in one spot, looking through a camera lens of course, Simple

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Oh VERY clever!

If you had a variable speed fan blowing across the area where the car sits you'd have a 1/32 scale wind tunnel.......

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
That is sheer brilliance!!! well done

·
Registered
899 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
Genius!
You mjust need to make it about 8ft in diameter, then you'll be able to have much more variety of scenery.
Simon

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just posting these three photos, still experimenting with angle and of course no real lighting added into it yet, ( hence the lack of clarity) but I'll be able to get very close
to the cars and can't wait for me time to try out the set up with the natural daylight.

·
Premium Member
5,717 Posts
Fantastic, but I think your laps are a little short

Get some real action shots, even better if you had a dial to control the speed of the car so you could set it to exactly the right speed and then use a slow shutter speed with the camera.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So on to the next step./ I've made a start on one of the centre pieces in a round shape following on from the straight earth bank.

So now the round shaped one.

This will spin in the middle of the layout behind the car.

You can also see the fences being prepared hanging up behind just after they were painted white and readied for some dry brush Rusting.

The next photo is just the shaping of the polystyrene.

Plastered up and ready for painting, one thing to remember is the repetition of the spinning diorama, so if I keep it simple and not do any features

that will tick by overtime the display does one revolution. I also thought about gradually "grassing' up the piece, and doing some filming

as this process happens. So maybe start with a sandy bank and then finish up with a look more towards a grassy bank. More tomorrow.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
QUOTE even better if you had a dial to control the speed of the car so you could set it to exactly the right speed

Just wanted to bring this up from Mister Wraith, he's right of course, in a perfect world we'd be able to have the cars drive perfectly along the road,

of course these are Scalextric cars and they bounce a little bit and it does make the cars move back and forth as the braid loses contact with the track and power supply

( I used Magna Braid to try and combat this) as you trying to get the shot.

I do have a dial up speed/ power control but yep these little bouncy cars have me searching for a solution to Mr Wraith's suggestion.

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
Thats terrific, this is starting to look really good.
Maybe the manufacturers should send you all of their new models so you can video them on the move, to help improve their roadholding. ...

Happy New Year

Simon

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So we set the lights up last night for some trial shots with the temporary scenery set up.

Todays had started very overcast so maybe if it clears we may be able to move everything outside to see what happens in the daylight.

So here the underneath showing how the track works, I went for some fishing line to hold the car in one spot/ its easier and faster.

Makes for some good screen shots.

http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/2IamAogJqM8?rel=0

·
Mr. Olufsen
1,212 Posts
QUOTE thanks for watching
You're welcome, thanks for sharing! Lovely video.

Can your amazing contraption be run in the other direction, too

/Christian

1 - 20 of 37 Posts