SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, after having a go at running a couple of doos with work colleagues with some largish versions of F1 tracks I've decided I'll have a go at my own design and have it semi-permanently attached to 8 boards of mdf of 90cm by 122cm (mdf from B&Q is 122x244, my car will fit 90cm width so that's determined the size). I've plumped for the boards to be arranged as 488cm by 180cm. This is my design after roughly 10 revisions, and I think I'm settled on it, although I would love some feedback from some seasoned slotters!

I'll be borrowing/copying RacingSnake's border/infield concept from Interlonza/Modulonza, and will be placing it where I've put borders in the design.

·
Greg Gaub
14,986 Posts
I love how it looks on the board. Even though there are a lot of parallel sections, it doesn't feel like there is because the whole thing is bent in the middle and not parallel to the sides of the table.

However, a couple things you might want to consider tweaking.
1) that R4 at the bottom of the image, with no border, right in the middle of the "long straight" is going to have every car thumping the wall right there. Slowing down enough to avoid it will be a litmus test for the Man With The Most Self Control In The World contest. Depending on the car and the material and height of the wall, this could result in damage to the car, the wall, or lots of deslots.

2) the pit entrance being only a half straight after an R2 turn which is itself after a short straight section... will be getting missed like...practically all the time. Even magnet cars will be kicking out right there, and possibly missing the sensor for the pit lane piece. And you know what that means.

3) No borders on turn 2 which has R1 pieces at the apex? See #1.

·
Premium Member
2,292 Posts
See if you can do anything with a board with of 875mm, that is exactly 2.5 straights so you could set up a load of interchangeable modules like J-Trak. Where are you going to use this at home and how often will it be set up, taken down and transported to away events?

One final thing, are you sure that you will be able to fit 8 boards into your car? If you intend to have batten frames underneath the boards then they will add up to quite a height and weight when stacked up.

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE (MrFlippant @ 11 Mar 2016, 01:28) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>2) the pit entrance being only a half straight after an R2 turn which is itself after a short straight section... will be getting missed like...practically all the time. Even magnet cars will be kicking out right there, and possibly missing the sensor for the pit lane piece. And you know what that means.

3) No borders on turn 2 which has R1 pieces at the apex? See #1.

Boo - is half a straight not enough? I'm not sure I will be wanting a pit-lane just yet, I just decided that I'd future proof it incase I finally did decide to do a pit lane. It has caused the most grief in the design I must say.

With regard to the no borders on turn 2 my thinking was that the outside lane here would be the optimal lane to be on for going through the chicane afterwards, and so I'd have a minimal amount of border to in effect handicap the outside on that turn, thereby hopefully mixing up the strategy of drivers?

I'll see what I can do about that bottom R4

QUOTE (RacingSnake @ 11 Mar 2016, 16:20) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>See if you can do anything with a board with of 875mm, that is exactly 2.5 straights so you could set up a load of interchangeable modules like J-Trak. Where are you going to use this at home and how often will it be set up, taken down and transported to away events?

One final thing, are you sure that you will be able to fit 8 boards into your car? If you intend to have batten frames underneath the boards then they will add up to quite a height and weight when stacked up.

I must admit I've not entirely thought this part through - I love the concept of the J-Track modules, and was thinking of the batten frames, but haven't even comprehended how it will all fit! The last few events I've done I've had the track in boxes in the order it will be placed and then put it on top of some painted MDF and then those were laid on tables.

The set up time was roughly two hours for this - just want to get the time down and have it looking much much neater!

·
Premium Member
2,292 Posts
Nice photo of the track in the pub/club!

Now that the weather is warming up a bit I will be taking some pictures of 4 stacked J-Trak modules outside so look out for those to get an idea of height. Also have a look at stevef1964's Portable Track no 2, he also stacks several boards but uses a Range Rover to transport them around!

·
ParrotGod
8,236 Posts
The track design is really cool but I second what Mr F is saying about the half straights and the borders.
One more thing: if this is going to be a modular track the fact that the track joints are not parallel to the board edges might be a bit of an issue when you assemble the track.

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm thinking the infield and borders will all be attached to the boards, but the track will be stored in a separate box(es) in the order to be placed and put on when the boards are out - would it not just effectively 'slot' into the space left by the infield? I know it increases the set-up time, but it may save space in my car somehow!

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
QUOTE (shoddyback @ 12 Mar 2016, 19:21) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Boo - is half a straight not enough? I'm not sure I will be wanting a pit-lane just yet, I just decided that I'd future proof it incase I finally did decide to do a pit lane. It has caused the most grief in the design I must say.

Another point about the pit lane (should you incorporate it as you've pictured it), on exit the car is commited to the slow lane for a huge distance until just before turn two so you might want to add another xlc soon after the pit re-entry.

I really like the layout between two and the esses.

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
QUOTE (AircraftNutz @ 13 Mar 2016, 09:04) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Another point about the pit lane (should you incorporate it as you've pictured it), on exit the car is commited to the slow lane for a huge distance until just before turn two so you might want to add another xlc soon after the pit re-entry.

I really like the layout between two and the esses.

Hi I dont think that corner 1 is a slow corner so not a problem.
regards ade.

·
Greg Gaub
14,986 Posts
I like Udo's version better, but the half straight before the pit can still be an issue. Ask me how I know.

But, on either layout, I'd probably spend most of my time on the inside lane. I'd take the XLC before turn two to get on the outside of that hairpin, then use the racing line in the chicane for a high speed run through the infield straight. At that point, I'd be on the inside lane for the rest of the lap again. The only reason I would change that is to pass, or if I keep ending up in the pit lane due to the lack of space between it and the previous turn.

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Udo - that looks good!

With regard to the half straight situation - I could always throw some business Mr Modifier's way and get cars kitted out with surechange guides??

I've had a go with a longer straight before the pit-lane - this time using the out to in piece left over from making the racing line - and modding it with a racing curve piece, which would have to have a sizeable chunk hacked out of it to accomodate the inside lane of the final curve - not even sure that would work

Not fiddled with the extra bits yet!
QUOTE (MrFlippant @ 13 Mar 2016, 14:16) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>But, on either layout, I'd probably spend most of my time on the inside lane. I'd take the XLC before turn two to get on the outside of that hairpin, then use the racing line in the chicane for a high speed run through the infield straight. At that point, I'd be on the inside lane for the rest of the lap again. The only reason I would change that is to pass

Is that such a bad thing? Personally I envisaged being on the outside lane, using only the XLC before the esses. That's why I was thinking about no borders at turn two, making it much slower on the outside, so that if you are behind someone preparing to cut the chicane, you could in theory dive up the inside of turn 2, give em a little kiss, and overtake before the chicane, effectively cutting them off? Is using one XLC every lap just to get a good lap bad is it wastes the others? The others allow you to pass but not at huge detriment to speed as the corners are even-ish left rights between XLCs. I've only raced with people who pick up a scalextric controller once in a blue moon so I had no idea so much thought went into designing tracks

I've not raced with borders since I don't own any, I used to use the clip on barriers, which made the outside lane the choice, then when I made longer tracks and didn't have enough barriers the inside lanes became the best option for more drifting space!

·
Greg Gaub
14,986 Posts
Not bad at all. Just saying how I would probably race the track. I do prefer borders on the outside of every turn so that the outside doesn't have the advantage of a fence to ride, nor the disadvantage of nothing to slide on, which is why I recommended outside borders on the turns that didn't have them. Honestly, the outside already has the disadvantage in most cases, being the longer of the two lanes, to force that lane to drive SLOWER than the car on the inside can, just to prevent him dropping a wheel and deslotting, is a bit naff.

On the lane changers, no, having more on the track than the one or two that might be used for the optimum race line is a good thing, simply because it's rare that a car would be able to string more than a couple laps in the racing lane together. They'll need to change lanes to avoid crashed cars, or pass slow cars, or different driving styles resulting in different optimum racing lane choices.

On the new pit entry, I think that's a great solution! Go for it!

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks to ITV and Paul Sinha, I've got me a 12' x 24' shed at the bottom of my garden. And I'm FINALLY beginning to realise this track.

I've decided it won't be portable - having carted around my smaller 8'x4' track Bectun Park, I couldn't bring myself to faff around with moving 8 boards of 3'x4' MDF, a frame and legs. Instead I'll make it tilt up against the wall, I remember seeing a track on here that employed quarter-circles to help smoothy lower the track.

Anyway, some pictures of progress so far...

Rectangle Line Font Eyelash Parallel

Having FOUR years to allow the track design to fester away inmy head, and after 17 revisions, each one saved as "FINAL VERSION", this is the track layout. 6 of the corners have been named after my niblings, once they're old enough they can rename them.

Table Wood Automotive design Kitchen Flooring

The table ready to receive the track pieces

Wood Office equipment Automotive design Typewriter Motor vehicle

And there is the track!

Wood Automotive tire Floor Flooring Stairs

Not wanting to pay for 2 pit lane sets, I thought I'd make the pit lane where you'd automatically pit in the second bay, and if someone was in that bay, you'd press the lane change to pit in the first. Then I could utilise some old crossover pieces. The second of which is an old classic straight butchered to receive a butchered crossover.

Vehicle Transport hub Car Mode of transport Line

Looks ok I reckon. I used an old soldering iron tip to melt and weld the plastic track together, think I may have inhaled a fair bit of toxic fumes.

Attachments

·
Registered
865 Posts
like the circuit

also like the use of classic track, have a chunk of it here and more coming for a few bits, I did wonder about using the rails and making borders etc from the surfaces.. but thats a nice usage of bits.. hadn't thought of that

·
Registered
572 Posts
Layout looks good...cant wait to see it running! Nice job on the self made pit exit pcs.

I'm assuming those plugs are for jumpers? & if so, Are they wired to plug in pcs to pcs following the layout, or at certain points do they branch out to a hub which receives power ( hope that makes sense)?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts