SlotForum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Layout looks good...cant wait to see it running! Nice job on the self made pit exit pcs.

I'm assuming those plugs are for jumpers? & if so, Are they wired to plug in pcs to pcs following the layout, or at certain points do they branch out to a hub which receives power ( hope that makes sense)?
Thanks... Me too!!!

A while back I started soldering those jack plugs to EVERY piece of track I owned because I wanted to continue rug racing, and my classic track's conductivity was poor. I had envisioned plugging them piece to piece, even going as far as making a reverse polarity cable (for when using corners). I conceded that it would take too long and wouldn't look too nice! I now only have them on my digital pieces so that I can swap them between layouts.

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
like the circuit

also like the use of classic track, have a chunk of it here and more coming for a few bits, I did wonder about using the rails and making borders etc from the surfaces.. but thats a nice usage of bits.. hadn't thought of that
Thanks, It's very satisfying making your own pieces!!

How much did you win....?
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif
There were 3 of us, we split 75k!!!!!

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
More progress...

Automotive tire Automotive design Wood Road surface Floor

The pit lane entry is a butchered curved lane changer left over from my racing line chicane mod and a curved crossover... I'm going to fill the missing track surface with kitchen lino off cuts.

Naval architecture Motor vehicle Hood Wood Automotive exterior

Urban design Floor Transport hub Flooring Wood

The track is painted and I've constructed elevation changes.

Wood Floor Flooring Hardwood Building

Knocked up some cliff faces using foil and plaster of paris

Road surface Rectangle Bedrock Grey Wood

The cliff faces after painting

Hood Wood Bumper Vehicle door Wood stain

Wood Automotive design Building Floor Automotive exterior

Food Ingredient Cake decorating Cake Cake decorating supply

The painted cliff faces are back on the layout, and I've had a go at making my own clump foliage. Bought 8 different greens, not sure the flash and colour settings on my camera are showing the colours properly!

Hopefully the foliage will look like bushes growing on the rocks and can disguise the rather angular nature of the cliffs!

Attachments

·
Banned
1,694 Posts
Wow, track looks great, that's some space you have,keep the build pics coming!!
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif

Re 2 pit lanes, nice idea, how easy is it to stop the car in pit areas, asking as I had difficulties with overshoot when I tried something similar?

·
ParrotGod
8,231 Posts
Very nice progress there. The change of elevation after the back straight looks too brutal...and the straight that follows might be hidden by the raised curved section next to the pitlane.

I like the pitlane complex. I still can believe that you can fit so much track and interesting layout in less than 5 m long table. Well done!

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Wow, track looks great, that's some space you have,keep the build pics coming!!
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif

Re 2 pit lanes, nice idea, how easy is it to stop the car in pit areas, asking as I had difficulties with overshoot when I tried something similar?
Thanks - I don't know how easy it is to stop in the pit areas - it is still untested!
wacko.png
I go about track making in a strange manner. I will offer as an excuse that I mix classic and sport track, the classic is stuff is truly ancient and the continuity is awful, I can't test the track properly until it's had jumper cables attached to all the track pieces and I don't own any border pieces so I make my own and so I kinda just get all that stuff done first !

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Very nice progress there. The change of elevation after the back straight looks too brutal...and the straight that follows might be hidden by the raised curved section next to the pitlane.

I like the pitlane complex. I still can believe that you can fit so much track and interesting layout in less than 5 m long table. Well done!
Thanks. I hear you about that decline! I wanted something that looked dramatic if I were to put a camera in/on a car with the car plunging down into the scenery. I might have to clean up the track and have a quick go before I go any further.

I can see the straight in question behind the curved section and I understand that shorter people will have trouble. Also a lane changer will definitely be obscured by the hairpin at the back for 2 drivers. I hope to remedy this with some strategically placed mirrors
unsure.png
. Failing that I remember reading a couple of members lists of what was important for their tracks and neither listed sight lines in their top 2, I wish I could find their posts so I could cite them as influences!!

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I've done a lot with this over the last year, and not kept up this thread - so here's a whole bunch of progress photos

The pit lane has 3 pit garages on it, each garage has 4 LEDs in its ceiling and this is my messy circuit for them.

Inspired by this track by Wiggie The grandstand sits atop the pit garages.

The track gets its grassy infield. Borders are upturned off-cuts of lino, I find the texture resembles tarmac better than the other side - hot glue won't hold it though so I generous helping of no more nails is needed!

Time for some trees - I had a load of telephone cable left over from soldering all the track together, so I used that for armatures

Trees after they've been covered in milliput, primed and painted.

The trees are spray glued and then I use coconut hair for hanging baskets for the sub structure to then spray glue flock onto. Finally got round to using the flock I made! I may have spent twice as much creating my own flock trying to avoid paying for the stuff in hobby shops!

I stopped taking photos of my progress. Last weekend though I finally felt it was done enough to take some cars for a spin - here's a short video

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I've done a lot with this over the last year, and not kept up this thread - so here's a whole bunch of progress photos
View attachment 280637
The pit lane has 3 pit garages on it, each garage has 4 LEDs in its ceiling and this is my messy circuit for them.

View attachment 280638
Inspired by this track by Wiggie The grandstand sits atop the pit garages.

View attachment 280639

View attachment 280640

The track gets its grassy infield. Borders are upturned off-cuts of lino, I find the texture resembles tarmac better than the other side - hot glue won't hold it though so I generous helping of no more nails is needed!

View attachment 280641
Time for some trees - I had a load of telephone cable left over from soldering all the track together, so I used that for armatures

View attachment 280642
Trees after they've been covered in milliput, primed and painted.

View attachment 280643
The trees are spray glued and then I use coconut hair for hanging baskets for the sub structure to then spray glue flock onto. Finally got round to using the flock I made! I may have spent twice as much creating my own flock trying to avoid paying for the stuff in hobby shops!

I stopped taking photos of my progress. Last weekend though I finally felt it was done enough to take some cars for a spin - here's a short video
Nice trick for building trees👍

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello, after having a go at running a couple of doos with work colleagues with some largish versions of F1 tracks I've decided I'll have a go at my own design and have it semi-permanently attached to 8 boards of mdf of 90cm by 122cm (mdf from B&Q is 122x244, my car will fit 90cm width so that's determined the size). I've plumped for the boards to be arranged as 488cm by 180cm. This is my design after roughly 10 revisions, and I think I'm settled on it, although I would love some feedback from some seasoned slotters!

I'll be borrowing/copying RacingSnake's border/infield concept from Interlonza/Modulonza, and will be placing it where I've put borders in the H

Hi,great looking track. New member, first forum entry..Have built a track, similar size as yours, 4.8meters by 2meters, Scalextric. Outer track 94 ft app:, inner track 87ft app,
all curves R2 & R3 except one that is R4. Relatively new to slot car racing and enjoying it, started 2 and a half years ago at age 86 years and now have a garage of 60 cars with
another 3 on their way. Intend to submit pictures of track and full details type and number of track pieces used With each piece identified in situation, should anyone wish to build the same.
My layout is reasonably scenic ed.

OH! by the way need Cyprus trees, real cheap? Buy a cheap artificial Christmas tree with the correct looking fronds and bingo! there's a forest of them and then some!
Stick them in a tyney hole and they wiill bend over, as a soft landingfor a runaway car and are easily, at least mine are.straightened up again.

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Nice trick for building trees👍
Thanks - I watched a whole bunch of terrain tutor videos on youtube - copied his twist method for making armatures

Hi peregrine - thanks for the tip for trees. Will look into it when the the artificial trees hit the shops! Make sure you introduce yourself in the introductions thread and post plenty of pics of your track!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello, after having a go at running a couple of doos with work colleagues with some largish versions of F1 tracks I've decided I'll have a go at my own design and have it semi-permanently attached to 8 boards of mdf of 90cm by 122cm (mdf from B&Q is 122x244, my car will fit 90cm width so that's determined the size). I've plumped for the boards to be arranged as 488cm by 180cm. This is my design after roughly 10 revisions, and I think I'm settled on it, although I would love some feedback from some seasoned slotters!

I'll be borrowing/copying RacingSnake's border/infield concept from Interlonza/Modulonza, and will be placing it where I've put borders in the design.
Just a suggestion. Especially those bends at the corners on the outer edges, appear to be vulnerable. What I have done on my layout, is put
31/2 inch high timber barriers around the table and glued 0.5mm dense foam, cant think of its name but is what exercise mats are made off.
Gives you a measure of protection. Great layout for the space you have.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just a suggestion. Especially those bends at the corners on the outer edges, appear to be vulnerable. What I have done on my layout, is put
31/2 inch high timber barriers around the table and glued 0.5mm dense foam, cant think of its name but is what exercise mats are made off.
Gives you a measure of protection. Great layout for the space you have.
Oops should be 0.5cm. sorry

21 - 33 of 33 Posts