SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Kev
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally, Willy and i have been able to start work on creating a routed 3 lane raceway.
The idea is that it is sectional, so it can be stored easily in two 6'x4' sections.
When united, this gives us an area of 12'x4'.
So this is the plan we had in mind,

The surface area is actually made up of four pieces of 12mm MDF 6'x2', as this was the optimum size we could transport in our cars.
We had to construct a framework for the MDF to sit on, using 45mm 29mm timber, making sure that all the boards were supported where they joined.
The 2 sections are then joined together, by way of three bolts fastened through the end timber framework of each section.
Once this was done we set about transferring the plan to the boards. Some minor alterations to the plan were made at this point, to maximise the available space.

We then routed all the curved sections, using a fixed pivot point, which was fairly easy.

The staggered, chicaned esses, required a template to be made out of some plywood, repositioned 3 times, and used to route against.

With all the curvy bits routed, it was then a matter of joining the curves together using a length of timber as a baton. This was straight forward
(no pun intended), so now we have this,

All the slots have been sanded to eliminate any little kinks where the straights join the curves, and filler has been applied to all the countersunk screws.

At present this is where we are at.
We hope to get some more done soon, but a lot depends on the weather and the work shift patterns.

We plan to use 3/16" wide venture copper tape, for the rails. This is the next job once the surface has been sanded.

until later...

·
Peter Christie
1,835 Posts
What's the total 'man' hours to date? Impressive work

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Looks very nice, but, and I hate to say this. Are some of the tracks running in opposite directions a bit close to each other?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Hey Rich

Thats a good point, but if you think about it, the places where a car might slide onto an adjacent track are always the same lane, so if a car did slide wide, it would only cross ITS lane, so no problem. Unless zipp's racing particularly sideways!

DAVE

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Well spotted Dave. Must remember that trick when trying to get the most out of a given space.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Looing good. It amazes me how people making routed tracks get such perfect straights and perfect curves.

Any involvement I have with cutting wood suggests that each time I grab a power tool I don a blindfold to!!!

·
Kev
2,723 Posts
We have managed to get a little more done this morning
before work

One section has now been sanded down. The little notches have been chiselled, and holes for the wiring drilled.

A Scaley sport power base has been fastened to the underside of this board, and is connected to a chocolate block ready to wire up to 2 of the lanes.
Another power base will be fastened to the other board at the other end for the remaining lane. This will mean that racers will be positioned around the track for ease of marshalling.

We have also been able to apply most of the copper tape to the first section, but time ran out, so part of one lane is still on the to do list.
IMO the 3/16" tape we are now using looks a lot neater then the 1/4" tape we used on the other tracks.

Skeeter, Thanx for the compliments. Once i get an idea in my head, i just don't know when to stop!!!

Nitro, So far i would say we have spent about 12hrs working on it (including todays efforts). This is 3 sessions so far. If we were able to have a run of 2 solid days, i reckon we could have got it licked
but as we both work shifts, it is very difficult to do this.

RichG, Thanx for the question

flyingscotsman, Thanx for the answer

Scoobydriver, you must be wearing your dustmask far too high

Kai, This project has gone from sketch to route in a freestyle sort of way, so there were'nt any set measurements. I will have a look at what i can do for you, but i ain't no draftsman

·
Kev
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Willy and i have managed to get a few more hours on the project.

The first board is now fully copper taped, and we have made a start on the wiring.

We were also able to get 2/3's of the copper tape down on the second section
, all was going well until....... we ran out!
(more on order, but it won't arrive for another 5 days)

So this is how it is:

There is still plenty to do, a bit of filling on the completed board (where the notches are) and then some paint. Some soldering to be done on the second section and completion of the wiring circuit.

·
Jan Groosmuller
834 Posts
Looking great so far...

Luckily you could complete one track, so you can test drive it

Jan

·
Kev
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
JohnP, cheers for the compliment

I do have a question to throw to the forum.
At present each time we bolt the boards together, we then have to fasten 24 wires via the terminal blocks!! This is far from ideal.
I was wondering, what sort of plug connectors others have used to simplify this task??
Pix would be appreciated with any ideas please.
cheers

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.