SlotForum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been toying with the idea of doing a routed SSD track (I can build my own lanechangers, and have a spot for the PB to plug in). In sketching ideas/etc, as well as watching a lot of racing, I came up with an idea I wanted to run past everyone for comments and critiques.

Most routed tracks, even digital ones, are designed from an analog point of view. By that I mean that you start with 2 (or 4) lanes all around the track, and if you're digital you have a few lane changes, maybe a few expansions of 2->4 lanes, and if you're REALLY thinking hard you have a few "best racing line" type areas with lane changes on corners. This makes for fun tracks, and where 95% of the time the person with the best lap time also wins the race because you're almost never blocked for more than 2 seconds behind anyone.

What if, instead of that, you design a track more like a real racing track. On a real track, even if you're slow people typically can't get around you until a large straight with a bend at the end, or a really technical set of 2-3 corners. The best RACER wins, not the fastest lapper (lets ignore Vettel for now
).

So my idea:
Make the majority of the track SINGLE lane. The starting grid would be double lane, but closing into single lane on the first turn. Depending on the size of your track, you would have 2-5 (or for a huge club track, 5-10) "passing areas," but where you activate lane change to go OFF the racing line in an attempt to scoot past. For example, in a twisty section, you could have an outside-inside line which you can LC into (for maybe 2 meters?) that then merges back off the next straight. So you can take the faster line (which you'd do if you're in front), OR you can take the riskier line if you think you can take them.

I think the result would be fun, and require actual skill to up your place in the grid.

Thoughts?

·
Greg Gaub
15,369 Posts
You would have a lot of crashing and no passing after that first dive into Turn 1.
Although it's a great idea, and a lot of digital races have a lot of "parades" taking place, you really need two lanes for most of the course because two equal racers can take a long time to pass. Limiting passing to specific areas won't give enough room to successfully make the pass. The only way that would work would be to make the default a WORSE line, and the passing line better, but then it wouldn't take long for racers to just manually choose the better line.
This topic comes up from time to time, and almost always results in the realization that it would be impractical from a racing standpoint. Cool LOOKING, maybe. Note that even with the BLST tracks, although the cars default to a single best line, there are always two lanes around the course for when cars and neck and neck.
Trust me, when you have a group of skilled racers, the best line on a 2 lane (or more) track becomes clear, and you'll need the other lanes everywhere to make a pass.

But, that's no reason not to pursue the idea. Maybe you'll come up with a way to do it that no one else has thought of yet.

·
Greg Gaub
15,369 Posts
Hmm.. I don't think I've ever seen an AC2Car layout with only a few passing locations. Most AC2Car tracks I've seen, while they might have a full squeeze here and there, still have parallel "lanes" around the whole circuit. They provide ONE place per lap to choose which lane you want to be in, and if you get into the opposite lane than your opponent, you have the whole lap to get past them. Note that AC2Car has multiple "slots" per "lane" to provide for however many cars the track is made to accommodate. If it's a 4 car track, you need two "slots" per "lane", if it's a 6 car track, then it's 3 slots per lane, because each lane can support 2 cars. That said, AC2Car tracks are a great place to take inspiration from for a routed digital track. BLST tracks are also a good resource for ideas for "best line" ways of routing digital tracks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts