Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...and have incorporated model railroad Digitraxx control into my routed slot car track.

The hill climb, mountain peak and run through the village and around the traffic circle are single lanes - with 2 lanes down the beach road, and 2 sections of mountain.

Some images of early construction...

...to be continued...

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am working through various lane change mechanisms.

I am settling on a combinaiton of 3.

1st there are the uncontrolled forks - with a stationary frog - you determine your direction with your slide angle through the bend. Swing the tail out, you take the tight inside line - back off and you go the outside route.

The traffic circle is the ultimate derivative of this - you get in to it too hot, and you will be going around and around - needing to backoff the throttle so you can leave.

...to be continued...

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I went with the modelrailroad Digitrax system.

The simplicity of implimenting DCC for model railroad is what lends the equipment so easily to slot cars.

Each train (car) has a decoder - and you just program a unique address into the decoder (I use the number on the car) and dial that address up on the controller - and away you go.

Here you can see the addresses dialed into the controllers... #96 and #21

The #00 is the address that Digtrax lets you assign to an analog car - that is a way to test analog cars before you do the digital heart transplant...

This is a Z scale decoder in a MRRC Cobra

This is an HO scale decoder in a Ninco Xsara WRC.

And finally - the Digitrax control station.

-Paul

p.s. sorry if you are on dialup - I bet the images bogged you down..

·
Registered
2,493 Posts

and he screams up the hill only to find the canyon o' doom awaits!

Saying tha if there is one guy that should be shot for talent I'm sure you'd be at the top of a lot of people's list!
The track is wicked tbh, if I was pushed to race digital I would rather race on your circuit than any club track.

That circly thing is well trick, absolutely love it!

fricken awesome that

·
DT
5,195 Posts
It is really fantastic. Thanks for showing us. Please show us the rest as you complete it.

Looks like you've wired it up, but does it work as a complete track?

Other questions: Are you actually racing against other cars? How is this achieved with the train controllers? How many cars can the system handle? What speeds do they get up to?

See that you have a 01 QS/BLK...

I've just sold my 03 AE

·
Registered
85 Posts
QUOTE (Nuro @ 4 Jul 2004, 23:30)It is really fantastic. Thanks for showing us. Please show us the rest as you complete it.

Thanks - I will do... I am a model railroader at heart, so once I have tinkered with the cars I am off to supersdetail the layout.

QUOTE Looks like you've wired it up, but does it work as a complete track?

Sure is wired up, and works as a complete track.

QUOTE Other questions: Are you actually racing against other cars?
Yes - against other family members...

QUOTE How is this achieved with the train controllers?
Each person (3 at the moment) uses their own controller as pictured.

QUOTE How many cars can the system handle?
The Digitrax control station I have can address 120 locos/cars/controllers at once..

QUOTE What speeds do they get up to?
Faster 'n hell for the 20,000rpm Ninco and the Slot.it V12 powered cars...
\

QUOTE See that you have a 01 QS/BLK...

I've just sold my 03 AE

Save the WAVE! ...and I guess I am keeping my '01 Z06 for a while anyway - being that it is worth almost nothing as a used car at the moment...

-Paul

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hey RC, just out of curiosity......What's that bike in the first picture? (I hope you've not resprayed your RC45 in green and orange!!
)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE (FZR1000Exup @ 5 Jul 2004, 15:01)Hey RC, just out of curiosity......What's that bike in the first picture? (I hope you've not resprayed your RC45 in green and orange!!
)
I no longer have the RC45 - sold it into a colleciton in California. It shares garage space with 4 other RC45's and RC30's.

The other bike pictured is a 1990 Yamaha TZR250SP Reverse Cylinder GP replica.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi Paul,

That's 2 Texas C5 drivers on the forum now.....

You need to have a smaller portable track to bring to the club and see what the gang thinks of it.....

Do you have a website for your stuff? Pix of the track and the Ferraris you have been working on would be a thing most of the readers here would like to see....

Russ
www.HSARC.net

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Keep up the great work
The Superbird looks great rocketing up to the abyss

Look forward to seeing the town and mountain scenery - I've seen what you model railroad guys get up to with the scenic parts of layouts!

Mark.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts