SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I have a couple of designs here that I am thinking of doing and using my SSD hardware on.

I have the space for 3 sheets as in the pictures, I live on the Gold Coast of Austrailia so I thought I would use the Indy 300 that is run here as the basis of my design.

Your comments please

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hey Paul, Looks like a great layout. How big are you planing on building the track? I'm landscaping my first routered track at the moment (pics next week hopefully) but i have been thinking of adding ssd to my next routered track too. Are you going to retro fit the lane paddle and sensor to the track?, or just insert the whole lane changer into the track
. Looking forward to seeing the building process start. Keep the pics comming
. Ads

·
Lars Ole
1,640 Posts
That looks great.
I'm allso considering butchering some SSD to begin routing a digital track, so I'll look forward to how you'll progress.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Guys

Final track plan is here

Its on the wall next to the wood so there is no turning back now.

adsukir34: as you can see from the pic each of those sections of paper on the plan is a 1200X2400 sheet.
It will be fairly big but the sections will be modular and this will enable me to store it away when not in use (that won't be often and the wifes car will just have to learn to sleep outside.

I will be using the hardware from the LC's and fitting them tothe wood not using the track peices at all.

so next update I will have the boards all made up and maybe the track drawn on the sections.

·
Registered
253 Posts
QUOTE (dda @ 30 Jul 2008, 00:50) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>That's promising a great post to be followed by thousands of us.
You're opening a new road in the Routed Digital World.
But as we can see, you're building on solid rock ... so no worries

Are the lane changer needles in plastic on SSD ?

DDA

Thanks DDA, The LC needles are steel, Im not sure if I will use them, depends on the shape and if it suits my radius or not, I may just make some aliminium ones.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Hi Paul,

Great work, very keen to see how you go with the SSD routed track, im looking to do one myself at some point in the future.

Im not sure if this is going to affect the overall result of your track but you have 4 lane changes over the entire circuit, 3 of them force the cars to the inside lane...maybe its worth changing one to switch to the outside lane instead?

Other than that your design looks great and looks like being a good compromise between track length and scenery. Are there any plans to stick some tall view blocking buildings in as well to add to the realism of the circuit.

Cheers
Phil

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Phil

Thanks for the encouragement, The LC's will be added as I go, once I have drawn it onto the wood the actual size will dictate where to put them, but I did miss one on the drawing; an in to out exiting the 90 onto the back straight.

I will put a fair bit of scenery on but no big view blocking sky scrapers, I think the beach and meter maids will make for a good look though, LOL.

Cheers

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi All, time for an update

I have all the track drawn out on the tree boards and all the boxing done.
Broke out the router this afternoon, managed to get one board routed,

My jig for doing the corners, works a treat, just a couple of m8 threaded rod and a bit of leftover boxing.

Here is a shot of my esses with a few cars in the slots

and a close up

A different angle of the track

Here is a shot of one of my Curved LC's to be, compared to an SSD one, mine has a larger radius and a smoother transfer and my bend is also over 90 deg. it all looks good now but will it all work

Yeah no worries

more routing tomorrow and maybe more pictures.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Been busy in the garage routing, it is finially finished, I love doing it but hate the dust from the MDF

Here is a shot of the three sections joined together showing the actual size ofthe track.

On to fitting the LC flippers next

More pics soon.

·
Doilum
975 Posts
Looking good. I am watching this closely as I am about to start something similar. Is your plan to cannibalise the scaley LC mechanicals and sink them into the MDF? If so, Let us know how you get along, with lots of pictures.

ATB

Alex

[Edit, I've just read that that is your plan. Looking forward to seeing how you get along.]

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
QUOTE (adsukir34 @ 8 Aug 2008, 23:13) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Looking great paul!!!!!! What powerbase are you using? 4-car 6-car pb pro
Now your almost up to the best part..... masking up and painting
err maybe not!! Keep the pics coming Ads.

Thanks, I will be using the 4 car PB that I picked up a while back for starters to get things going but I plan to wait and see what the boys here dowith the new 6 car PB that is out and then will get one of those and mod it to???? I have a PC ready and will run a pitlane and The best software I can get my hands on, so I hope they get some mods done soon

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
QUOTE (chief32s @ 8 Aug 2008, 23:16) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Looking good. I am watching this closely as I am about to start something similar. Is your plan to cannibalise the scaley LC mechanicals and sink them into the MDF? If so, Let us know how you get along, with lots of pictures.

ATB

Alex

[Edit, I've just read that that is your plan. Looking forward to seeing how you get along.]

Hi Alex, Thanks. I will post loads of detail of the LC's etc as I go so you can see what I have done.

I plan to use the scaley flippers and the electrics but I am undecided on the switchs, only because they will be difficult to mount and I think that maybe the peco train switch will be easier and I think it is a little bit more powerful than the two in the scaley track, but I will try it on a test section first with both then decide which to use.

Will keep you posted

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
QUOTE (GarageRacer @ 8 Aug 2008, 23:18) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>hey top job mate love the race line

i see super cheap auto supply the tools for you too

Super cheap power tools and snap on spanners what a mix

thanks GarargeRacer,

The router was only $40 on the specials table, and it works great on MDF. I had it on setting 1 out of 5 and it just purrrrrrrrrred

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK, its been a month or so since I updated the track build so I thought I would post a few pics.

What has happened in this time? mostly the digital stuff and a bit of painting.
I plan to lay the copper tape next and then install the flippers that I have made.

I'll show the digital stuff next time as I'd like to get it installed after painting to get the final pics to show the whole job as I did it. Also with the release of Scorpious things could change as far as the sensors are concerned. Most of the flippers are powered by peco train switchs and until further notice the sensors and PB are SSD.

looking from the north end of the track, finish line and pits on the left

Heading into turn one

This section is where the two lanes become three before the big sweeper heading onto the home straight

Three 962's battle around the tightest bend on the track a 150mm radius 105 deg curve with LC.

Three 1/24 cars heading down the back straight, not too many places for these guys to pass so good skill will be needed to win a race (and stay on the track)

more updates to come...when I can ge5t the time to do more that is

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.