SlotForum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Some months ago I began to thing on a wood routed track to build in my garage , something long of 30 Meters and 4 lanes.
I'll begin it now, I bought the routed, I found the MDF wood !!
first i'll look for the disposition and design. Here I join you my idea of track design to see if you like it ... maybe is "to simple" ? I don't know ... maybe should add more courves, I mean more closed right or left turns ...

From the track : Black is flat , Light blue is 1 foot higher , Dark Blue is connexion from flat and the tables to the high section.
Thanks for feedbacks

Neo

·
Registered
714 Posts
It looks interesting and fast.
There may be problems in marshalling though, especially the top left corner where the back is a long way from the front.
Also think hard about visibility in the bridge area, where there is a particularly difficult U curve at low level.

Visibility for drivers and access for marshalling are probably the two most difficult things to achieve in an interesting circuit like this. Need to think carefully where the 4 drivers will stand and whether marshalls will block their line of sight.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for reply ! I effectly didn't thnik about marshalls's place simply becose we normaly are four friends who run and dont have any marshal ... but about visibity to run and drivers position I know there is a bit problem ... because all top and left size is a wall ...
may I make shorter the left size ?

·
Registered
714 Posts
I must admit that I have never actually designed a circuit!
So I hope some more experienced designers will join in.

Having no marshalls makes it easier to design, I think.
Now only the drivers' ability to see is important.
My thoughts are that an 'L' shape will always be more difficult for all drivers to see all parts of the circuit. So, perhaps it might be better to re-design it as a rectangle, positioned in the centre of the garage. This will permit access from both sides, both to see the cars and to permit the drivers to put the cars back on the track more easily. You might then consider having two drivers at each side so that they will all have more space and be able to see without problems.

Please, some others with experience, join in on this

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I made a routed track a good while ago but it was only 12' x 4' - tiny compared to this monster

Personally I like the layout but have to agree with Mecoprop's observations.

It's good that the wall sections are raised and mostly straight so there shouldn't be too many problems at the very back - maybe that top left corner could be a wider radius and banked to minimise deslotting?

Any thoughts on whether the track conductors will be magnetic or non-magnetic Neo?

How about scenery too? A layout like this has many possibilities.

Welcome to the forum Neo

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Very good apart from the points mentioned above

but where is the pit lane and lemans start? and where do all the grandstands go?

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
Hi Neo!

I like the basic design! Some fast sections, some technical sections, overall a pretty good blend that looks like it should be very drivable and also fun.

As others have said though, visibility and ease of accessing deslotted cars are important in any design.

Would it be possible to shorten the top section by 3 to 4 feet and move the entire track to the right? Then, you could put two driver stations on the left (long straight) and two on the straight at the top. This would make marshalling easier when only the drivers were involved. Also, no one will be blocking another driver's view. Plus, even if you had to shorten all the main straights by a couple of feet, marshalling would be possible around the entire circuit. Sometimes it is best to give up some lap length for better access to the whole track.

As Meco correctly pointed out, the curves at the top right might be problems visually. Reducing the difference in elevation would help, as would separating them from each other just a little bit more.

Perhaps making the whole track more central, wider, shorter, but accessible from all sides?

It's always tough to give good advice blindly.
But we are pretty free here with the blind advice!

Nice work on the layout plan though! Enjoy the track, Neo!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wow
thanks for all feedbacks !! I see that this for have great and speed members

Mecoprop, I'ñ studding a new design and will post here again very soon...
JohnP , you are right , the top left corner will be smoother, conductor will be non-magnetic, I prefere the driving style it gives. And scenery
sure I'll make too!
Astro, I was thinking too put start lanes, have to design them.
Fergy, I'm thinking to make all a bit shorter, as I sayed I'll post it here soon... about elevation difference I can't act a lot ... the top level is teh top of a little ciment wall ! ...

again thanks too all of you
is a plaisure for me to share my hobby.
c u soon

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
no prob !

you'll have photos here and on my futur web site
(btw, I'm webmaster and flash designer, if anybody want some helps !)

I'm going to design a new track right now

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Salut Neo!

I am late to this but I tend to agree with the other comments.
Line of sight and being able to retrieve cars is high priority.
I will follow this with interest - I just wish I had a bigger garage myself.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Me again

hehe, I'm not sure is much better ... but now they are some access to "bad points" to reslot cars , and the 4 drivers are geting total view from the track .
The track is shorter (now : 27 m - 88,5 feet)

Red lines are the garage's walls.

Discountinue green line is limit of the wall which goes 30cm more high than the "down track" level.

Black forms are the Drivers

well , as before

feedback are very welcome !

(PS: sorry for my english ! I'm frenchy, and live in spain , imagine the mix of languages in my little brain
)

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
QUOTE (PS: sorry for my english ! I'm frenchy, and live in spain , imagine the mix of languages in my little brain
)
LOL!
Some of us do not have such a good excuse!

Question:
Is the garage 'L' shaped, as indicated by the red line?

·
Phil B.
3,749 Posts
Hi Neo - Have a look at www.oldslotracer.com they have great pictures and information on routed tracks plus links to many tracks all over the world.
Their Targa Florio track is well worth a look - Cheers- Phil B.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Hi Neo

There is still a visibility problem for the guys at the bottom left as regards the curved underpass to the top right. This is also made worse by of the direction of travel because you can't see the braking point as you approach the corner.

That top right section is generally a bit twisty for my taste anyway so I'd be tempted to straighten it out a little (easier with the router too) - but hey, it's your track

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi !

I dont stop thinking about the track ... and all what you sayed ..
First thing I had to design something who would be able to be raced in the both ways !

For the visibility problems , now I think a solutioned a maximum the problem, the bridge cross a straight so dont mask any curves.

About twisty right top, I like this kind of curves
but got a project too for this ! when track will be done I'll make a piece of track to "jump" the twisted part. The total track will be some feet less in the version with removal track.

Question :
-I wanna be able to run with Karts and Trucks too , whats the best distance between lanes? 7 cm ? 8 , 9 cm ?

Aberstone, is this site (oldslot.com) who decided me to build a routed track

thanks too everybody for helps

see you soon

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
hi !
me again , I simplified the design ... after some hours routing and many `roblems I decided to make it easyer, shorter and 3 lanes ....

the Track will have some 18 meters.
soon I'll send pics of realisation , I done 1/4 of routing lanes , wood is all fixed now less the bridge.

c u soon

Neo

1 - 19 of 19 Posts