1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started this project to learn about routing tracks and before you know it,
its got the better of me and I keep adding things. Its progressed a bit now
and I'm quite pleased with how its turned out. Lots of fun to drive on as well,
the variety of surfaces keeps you guessing.

I'm still working on some areas so will try and get some updated posts as I go

Paul

·
Peter Christie
1,835 Posts
that's a great track...please do a video..I would love to see it in action. I'm also curious about the 'switch'
Regards.

·
Ian
99 Posts
Paul,
Wow if that's the "Starter" I can't wait for the "Main Course", looks like loads of fun!
Nice one, how about some more photos of the Rally Service Tents they look great!

That's one big computer is that just for the timing

Regards

Ian

·
Registered
215 Posts
I don't think he is using a switch. It appears to be a loop. The first 2 pics are the whole track. It seems to start off as a dirt road turning on to the pavement at the far end. Then it runs on the pavement along the back wall where it make a loop back to the dirt.

·
Registered
391 Posts
In the first pic - just this side of the bridge there appears to be a turn-off that goes by the light coloured grass to make a very short track.

Come on - how did you do it? What kind of lane change mechanism have you used??

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the feedback its great to hear. Sorry to report there are no lane changers (yet) or other smarts. The bit where the bridge is on the left was the small track I started with and the rest was an extension. I've recorded all of that on my site Rally track site

I was planning to use that part as the start, as its disconnected from the bridge section. This means the track only runs in one direction. I am planning on a hill climb extension off the other end of the track and want to do some smarts with electronics by only having a single lane with a loop where the power changes direction on the return leg. Thats all in the future. Aim now is to finish the scenery, build a stand alone time system and then do lots of driving

The different driving surfaces are a nice test for the various rally cars. At this stage the best enhancement in rally cars is the Ninco sprung guide, its a winner.

The lane length is 11m, takes about 8-9 secs for an SCX car but thats being timed on a watch so I reckon we could go faster, once the real timer is in place.

Lots of fun to drive assuming you like rally cars

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Ian. I think my wife has given up worrying about the slot cars to the point where she ignores it as long as I don't over do it. So far so good

Here of some shots of the team work areas I'm building, still trying to work out how to build the perfect
tent.

Plus some car shots for good measure

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Although the routing sounds kind of scary the trick is to bite the bullet and buy a plunge router and a good quality router bit. Don't scrimp on the router bit, buy the best you can. As an example I think cheaper bits in Australia are around $10-15 while I paid $45 for the carbide tungsten bit. Then get some small sheets of MDF and experiment with routing the slot.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.