SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of replacing my 14' x 3' 1/43 Carrera GO race track with a routed track, and then thought that a rallycross track might be fun.

Are there any slot rallycross tracks out there?

My interest would be from the early televised days, so that is the type of layout I am thinking of.

This video covers 50 years of the sport, for people like me who dont know much about rallycross!

Thoughts please.

regards, Lloyd.

·
*** Leo A Capaldi ***
3,629 Posts
Hello Wiggie, that is a fabulous layout - got any video of it in use?

Have had a look on the club website - looks like a great club.

Leo

·
Registered
82 Posts
Our new 3 lane "Rally Cross" track, made in 4 pieces to be easy (ish) to transport : http://mdmc.bmfa.org/slotcar/tracks/brecon

Doesn't have a 'Joker' section, but there are 3 cross overs. The light was a little weird in the hall where the photos were taken, so you can't really tell the difference between the dirt and tarmac sections.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
The Melton club track looks a lot more attainable for the average home user and still is a great scenic layout

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanksall.

Yes Leo, having looked more into it I can see that there are aspects of rallycross that I could not represent properly, including getting 4 drivers into my shed at the same time. RX is more specialized than it first looks.

I think that I am better off staying with my 'Little Snett' racing track, but in routed form. (gives me an excuse to make more club racers!).

Regards, Lloyd.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Don't give up yet Lloyd !! Many possibilities are still as yet undescovered ,pinch points , grippy bits slippy bits bumpy bits ,loads of bits .Hmmm might have a go on some scrap wood
Steve

·
Registered
986 Posts
If we're throwing ideas around, has anyone made a nice routed track derived from the airfix mini-monte?

Font Wood Jewellery Metal Motor vehicle

Munter's glorious 'On Beyond Zebra' is the only one that leans that way that I've noticed. Though I consider it an icon itself, rather than airfix family.

PS, what is Little Snett? I've missed it, and not finding it via Search yet.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
That video is a nice find, Lloyd.
thumbsup.gif
My own slot preference is for analogue one-at-a-time rallying, but I'd have thought that digital would be ideal for a slot rallycross track.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well splendid, Little Monte has some easy turns like that:

Automotive tire Wood Stairs Automotive lighting Road surface

And some slightly harder ones:

Automotive exterior Gas Bumper Composite material Auto part

And sime tighter ones:

Wood Beige Musical instrument Flooring Tints and shades

This is Little Snett. A Carrera GO track now painted grey:

Car Land vehicle Tire Vehicle Wheel

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

Car Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Wheel

Transport hub Vehicle Wood Urban design Track

Car Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Wheel

But I prefer routed tracks like my others.

Regards, Lloyd.

Attachments

·
Registered
986 Posts
"Little Monte"... somehow I can only think of that one as ~Lloyd's Wall~, with the appropriate pause, eye-contact, and dropping an octave.

Those from-above shots are just the thing for the movie, btw. Fix the camera and let the car do the moving. That also gives you free hands to really show how driving is done there, and simplifies getting the lighting sorted. I imagine being in a shed is kinda challenging -- all from one side and needs some reflectors.

Okay, so Little Snett is a classic benchtop folder. You're thinking something for that space, similarly flat, but with some terrain. Two, three, one lanes? Or mixed perhaps, with drop-in conversion lanes.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sorry for jumping in, but new to it all and planning a digital version of Lydden Hill...
My question is how can I safely make some sections of the plastic track look like loose sections??
Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
Just an idea. In the video below both the red and blue cars are just running around the track at a constant speed set via a couple of model train style controllers. While I am in control of the silver car with a "normal" slot car controller. Due to the nature of the track with pinch points and cross-overs it is harder than it looks to catch and pass the two "jam cars".

So how about a routed "rally-cross" track with pinch points, cross overs etc. Various track surfaces could be used, gloss paint, matt paint, sandtex etc. A four lane track could be built with 2 or 3 being set to run at a constant,speed. while the other cars try to set lap/time scores while having to avoid the "jam cars".

·
Tel
4,062 Posts
C'mon Lloyd, I want pictures GDI ! :lol:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts