SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

Following on from my previous sectional 3 lane track which was 2 x 2'x4' MDF boards as below Ive now decided to adopt a similar approach for a test track.

The idea for my new track is to make use of as much space as possible, have a good flow and still leave some room for minor scenery, as yet Ive not decided a setting or theme. It will be 2 x 4'x2' MDF boards hinged together along the 2' sides so can be folded up and stored fairly easily. My initial plan is as below but as you can see now Ive marked out Ive made a few very minor changes, any comments or criticism would be appreciated before the router comes out?

Plan:

Left hand board:

Right hand board

Overall Plan 1:

Overall Plan 2:

As it needs to be stored it will have to be flat so unfortunately no elevation changes

Rob

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Hi Rob

Looks like an interesting plan.
I am thinking along similar lines at the moment.
To make something 27" x ? (to fit through a door horizontal).
Either a mountain-road or flat-urban style module/s.

You seem to like the 4ft board size.
Makes sense for handling sections easily.

You said there's no theme or scenery planned yet.
You must have a bit of an idea what you want to do though ?
Might it be difficult to fit scenery if the slots done before a scenery idea ?

Looks like a cool drive, nice marking-out.
Can't quite see but...
...on the 2 long-straights, in your last photo it looks like the right-side wheel of the car could be running right over the second tracks slot ?
Could be a bit odd, grip wise; More space between ?

Cheers

Si.

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
Hi Rob,

I'm currently designing a test track with almost the same dimensions as yours so I will follow this topic with interest.

A few observations

If your boards are detachable, your joinery is going to have to be a pretty tight (sure it is) to get the diagonal crossing route flush. Also bare in mind with all the crossovers that each individual section will need wiring up.

Ben

·
Registered
142 Posts
QUOTE (Si. @ 29 Jan 2012, 18:15) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Rob

Looks like an interesting plan.
I am thinking along similar lines at the moment.
To make something 27" x ? (to fit through a door horizontal).
Either a mountain-road or flat-urban style module/s.

You seem to like the 4ft board size.
Makes sense for handling sections easily.

You said there's no theme or scenery planned yet.
You must have a bit of an idea what you want to do though ?
Might it be difficult to fit scenery if the slots done before a scenery idea ?

Looks like a cool drive, nice marking-out.
Can't quite see but...
...on the 2 long-straights, in your last photo it looks like the right-side wheel of the car could be running right over the second tracks slot ?
Could be a bit odd, grip wise; More space between ?

Cheers

Si.

Si

Yeah the 2x4' boards are ideal as they fit easily in my car and can be handled with ease even when paired up.

Well due to the nature of some twisty sections and switch back curves where cars will ultimatley seem to drift maybe a gymkhana type theme, but not sure of a setting? Ultimatley its functionality and longevity that are ruling the design so scenery will come after that. Maybe a rally theme where I can use varying types of material for the road, I guess that would add another dimension to it as its a flat layout.

See what your saying about the back straights and LH 180 bends, I might opt for the back to back type lanes with 3 copper runs.

Cheers for the input.

QUOTE (Benjamin @ 29 Jan 2012, 19:18) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Rob,

I'm currently designing a test track with almost the same dimensions as yours so I will follow this topic with interest.

A few observations

If your boards are detachable, your joinery is going to have to be a pretty tight (sure it is) to get the diagonal crossing route flush. Also bare in mind with all the crossovers that each individual section will need wiring up.

Ben

I agree some bits are going to be tricky regarding joinery so would be ideal the slot passed staright, think I should be ok though, nothing a but of filler can fix.

Carefull planning will be done for the wiring when the tracks routed and the wire droppers drilled out I will also decide where Im hiding the Scaley power base.

Many Thanks Rob

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just a small pic update on the weeks work. Managed to get the RH board routed and changed a few small sections to allow ease of passing from one side to the other and added a kink or two.

Took on-board the comments about grip with the back straights being a tram line for one of the cars wheels. Theres now about a 7mm gap as the tape is 6mm.

C&C appreciated, Rob

·
Registered
142 Posts
QUOTE (AAWSCC @ 5 Feb 2012, 12:57) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I wouldn't worry about the grip level on the straights with the slots being close. Doesn't seem to make a difference on my rally track.

Thanks, hopefully should be ok, only running on it will tell. I'm thinking the thin wheeled cars such as the scaley minis etc may suffer slighty.

Another update, RH board now routed, yes yes I dropped a massive clanger
, but all good now with a little of filler. Oops!!

And also got the timber supports on the RH board with the piano hinge fitted to mate them up.

Had the board side by side and the slots are pretty much bang opposite so im happy only minimal sanding for a smooth transition is required.

Rob

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ive decided on a Welsh rally theme for the track and will add some grasses and turfed sections as it progresses the boards are sanded, base coat painted and one now with copper tape applied.

Further updates on this week:

Really please with how its coming along so far hopefully be able to get some power through the LH section later this week after Ive wired it up to make sure there are no snags on the tight middle section.

Rob

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just had an idea whilst at work, has anyone used ear defenders as a scenery item? The ones I've got here might be good for barrels or concrete road boarders. They're 2cm high, about 1cm in diameter and yellow, with some visual work they might look ok and they won't damage the cars due to being spongy. Any ideas? Hopefully will have some pics this weekend.

Rob

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
See what you mean they're a little too small to be barrels and too big to be concrete markers.

I apologies for the same crappy subject car but my others ate tucked away in the loft for the moment.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
QUOTE (doncatwalker @ 22 Feb 2012, 20:31) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Nice work! You've not over-elaborated the scenery (yet
), but it still looks good and it means you stand a decent chance of the track being fully operational quickly ... there's times, as I'm carefully gluing yet another tuft of grass in place, that I wish I'd done the same!

Cheers, the tracks been running a week or so now but I made sure not to take any decent running cars down to the cellar. Otherwise I would have been greatly distracted. The fun starts later this weekend

QUOTE (bleep @ 22 Feb 2012, 21:11) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Terrific!
I knew there was a good use for those "ears"

Yep, 'ears' aren't too bad in giving me a general feel for the track.

Textures 90% there:

This is the track folded up all wiring, scaley power base etc nicely tucked away.

Ive had the all clear to use the dining room table for a few days so hopefully a few laps with some scenery.

Rob

·
Premium Member
2,709 Posts
Great track. Have you thought about timing and, if so, what system to use?

·
Registered
142 Posts
QUOTE (doncatwalker @ 25 Feb 2012, 13:36) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Very neat solution - quick to set up and take down, which is essential when you're having to share space with such mundane tasks like eating

Indeed, I've treated my good lady to a nice new tray to eat her dinner from. You know, the posh ones with a bean bag on the bottom, she didn't find it very amusing.

QUOTE (Slots-O-Fun @ 25 Feb 2012, 16:14) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Great track. Have you thought about timing and, if so, what system to use?

Cheers. Not really thought about it to be honest as Ive never had a single lane track but it would make it a lot better. I have a Red5 one but I don't believe there's a way to modify it for multiple lap trips plus I'm terrible with electronics. Whats the best solution? Any ideas for a retro fit?

Here the finished article with scenery etc, I'm not much cop with a camera as I'm sure my previous posts showed.

And just because I got my cars out heres some pics of my favorite collections:
The Stangs

Skylines most not used yet:

Ninco Karts, such fun but I'm in need of the green one.

Hopefully I can find out how to upload videos and get one up in the next week.

Thanks Rob

1 - 20 of 20 Posts