Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Slot-A-Holic
5,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am looking for affordable proper track braid,
so if anybody could point me towards a nice priced good braid supplier i will be a happy chap.

Thanks in advance,

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Hi Jaak,

We've recently re-braided three tracks at Wellingborough (500metres) and bought braid from Mettex in Banbury, http://www.mettex.com/ , 6.0 x 1.6mm priced at £0.62/metre (+Vat), braid ref was 24/7/0.13. Not sure what the price is for smaller quantity but worth a call.

Regards
Mike T

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
ab slot sport does it £400 per 1000ft. its slightly cheaper in 3/16 wide and if they import the ready tinned stuff its £600 per 1000ft. john

·
Eddie Grice
2,293 Posts
Hi Jaak,

Just to back up what Mike T told you, Netley, Rockingham & Oaklands Park clubs have all bought their braid this year from Mettex.
Good price & we at Oaklands had no problems in our dealings with them, not sure about delivery to France though?
This was our quotation: -
2.5mm2, 6mm x 1mm, Flat TND braid, 300M @ £0.41 + VAT
Minimum order quantity for this braid is 100M (please note that if only 100M is ordered the price will change)
Delivery: £20 for all orders under £150
Lead time is 10 days.
Standard Mettex tolerances are:- width +/- 0.5mm, Thickness +/- 0.3mm

Drop them an email as Mike said.

Eddie

·
Slot-A-Holic
5,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks again Guys,

This makes a huge difference in my choice to braid or not to braid

With a 3 Lane and a length of 15 meter per lane i already get to 90 meter and i am sure i can use the other 10.

How do you "atack" the braid to the track?

·
Peter Rondel
6,022 Posts
15 meter, three lane = 90 metres, sounds great!! one thing, the corners cant be that tight with the braid. why no coppertape? if you want to try short part, just to try, slot32.de has braid in per meter by MB slot

·
Registered
899 Posts
Double side tape I've never used.

1/ First after routing the track prime the raw exposed board, and wait for it to dry.

2/ Then if you can put some 'GEL' contact glue in a cheap tomato sauce bottle. Gel is not so gooey!

3/ Apply a 2 to 3mm bead of glue for about 2 feet when your just starting out (for me I lay down about 10ft of straight and about 4ft of curve)

4/ Then put the braid down into the adhesive allowing the glue to "spread" then immediately pull it straight up, give a chance for the air to circulate and plonk it back down and voila, its stuck down for good.

Have a look at that little track I'm working on, it took me about 30mins to braid. You'll get better at it, start small, practice your technique and pretty soon you'll be putting it down like a pro. The tape sounds way expensive to me and it will not be as strong as straight contact, because if it was, you wouldn't be able to get the backing tape off it!!

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Braid vs Tape - tape lifts when the temperature changes, braid can absorb this. If routed properly braid is flush with the track and not as prone to low-slung cars changing and ripping it up as tape is.

Glue vs taping it down - we taped the braid down on the Dudley track about 8 years ago with no issues, it's certainly a lot less messy than the Bostik we were using before and you don't get glue being squeezed out and blocking the slot. The hidden advantage of tape is that once laid you slowly run a soldering iron along the braid, the heat melts the glue and capillary action draws the fluid glue up into the braid creating an even tighter bond. Should you get any braid lifting (much, much rarer than with old fashioned copper tape) simply flatten and reapply the soldering iron to reglue. You also don't get horrible raised sections in the braid where the bostik clumped. Double-sided tape from 3M or similar is pretty much the standard on UK club track builds now. It's very good stuff we aren't talking Blue Peter-style double-sided sellotape here!

Coop

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
QUOTE (FZSsemans® @ 1 Oct 2012, 10:45) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>one thing, the corners cant be that tight with the braid.
Just tried a piece of track braid round a much tighter bend than I'd ever seen on a slot car track - 1/2 inch (13mm) bend radius - absolutely no problem. (Indeed you'd need a considerably over width slot to get most guide blades round anything near that tight.)

QUOTE (uksqueezea @ 1 Oct 2012, 11:27) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Double side tape I've never used............... it will not be as strong as straight contact, because if it was, you wouldn't be able to get the backing tape off it!!
Those of us who have used 3M VHB have found it works better than contact cement and is quicker to put down.
I've seen several tracks done this was some few years ago, on all of them the braid is in as good or better condition than tracks done with contact cement.
Getting the backing tape off is a non problem. The VHB is laid in the braid recess sticky side to the track, the backing tape is then removed and the braid laid on top.

·
Slot-A-Holic
5,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys for all the information.

Peter,

I have done copper-tape and was not happy with the wrinkles it sometimes gave in corners.

One last question do these braids have iron in them to give magnets a bit of working power or do all your cars instantly turn magless?
i like to have both options as i race mag and mag-less.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Ferric (i.e. attracted to magnets) braid is available but I believe it is more expensive than non-ferric. The Pendle club have ferric braid. The quote from Mettex that Eddie (gasowder) mentioned above was for non-ferric.

Coop

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
QUOTE (Mike T @ 1 Oct 2012, 08:59) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Jaak,

We've recently re-braided three tracks at Wellingborough (500metres) and bought braid from Mettex in Banbury, http://www.mettex.com/ , 6.0 x 1.6mm priced at £0.62/metre (+Vat), braid ref was 24/7/0.13. Not sure what the price is for smaller quantity but worth a call.

Regards
Mike T

hmm they just quoted triple that to me!

Heres the email:

Thank you for your enquiry via our website. I now have pleasure in quoting as follows;

Flat nickel plated copper braid
6.35mm wide
Qty 500m @ GBP 1.92 per metre
Delivery - EX-WORKS
Lead-time 10 days from receipt of order/payment

Should you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me

UNQUOTE

QUOTE (gasowder @ 1 Oct 2012, 20:47) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>"How do you "atack" the braid to the track?"
Double sided tape usually these days.
Do a search for 3M VHB 9473, it's 12mm wide but our supplier (Viking Tapes) offered to slit it down to 6mm wide.
Eddie

3M makes a 5mm width.

QUOTE (uksqueezea @ 1 Oct 2012, 21:27) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Double side tape I've never used.

2/ Then if you can put some 'GEL' contact glue in a cheap tomato sauce bottle. Gel is not so gooey!

You can buy gel already in tubes, quick'n'easy. You must wait for it to be 95% dry before sticking down.

With the tape its that strong if you try to rip up the braid the paint and mdf will come up too. This proves you cant get any better.

The trick for tape however is to remove all oil from the braid by dumping in a bucket of solvent, like Prepsol. Wipe it down. Repeat with some prepsol on a cloth, let dry a little while then apply tape. The braid recess must be sealed prior or it wont work.

Rick

·
Slot-A-Holic
5,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well i would really prefer Feric as it leaves me the option to go Mag or non Mag on my proper racing cars.
From the good amount of cars i have 75% is mag.

May have to give these people a call as i do not know how they would call the Feric braid..

.... just noticed i said "atack" instead of "Attach"...not sure what happened there

Rich,

nice link i have seen there site and have it Favorited but since it is from the US all there stuff would be hit with 19,6% tax here and 14 Euro handling costs,
prefer to look on this side of the pond first

1 - 20 of 29 Posts