SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's some pics of my first routed track. The track will be shaped like an L, with a 16 foot straightaway. The track can be taken apart, as each of the 6 sections are connectable through grooves and nuts/bolts. Each section is 2ft x 4ft, with 2x4 frame construction and 1/2 inch MDF. I haven't designed the actual track plan, as I plan to do that once the track is all connected and leveled. Here are some pics from the first few days of construciton. Stay tuned for more pics as it progresses!!

Here's what each section looks like underneath:

One end of each section look like this...and....

...the other end like this

All section will groove together and be held tightly with large bolts/nuts

A closeup of pre-connected

And of them connected

Stay tuned for more!!

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Good simple system and excellent fit!

You may have given me some inspiration here.

I like the idea of the slot-together sections.
How are the legs secured, they seem to be pre-formed metal structures.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (1eye101 @ 27 Jun 2007, 03:47) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Looks a good solid build, do you have a track design you can show us

I'll try to explain it, and take some pictures tomorrow to show you....essentially the last piece will have the groove, but instead of at the end it will be on the side. I'll post some more pictures tomorrow.

·
Registered
453 Posts
QUOTE (The Lone Racer @ 27 Jun 2007, 05:19) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Good simple system and excellent fit!

You may have given me some inspiration here.

I like the idea of the slot-together sections.
How are the legs secured, they seem to be pre-formed metal structures.

I lifted this picture from another forum, so kudos to the originator....but I used the same concept....sawhorse clamps with 2x4 legs.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Thanks for the view of the sawhorse clamps, yomama.

Neat idea.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got all the sections leveled and connected today. My garage floor looks flat to the human eye, but I had to add a lot of shims to make sure everything lined up correctly. Once that was done, I connected each piece together using large 5 inch bolts and nuts. I placed a 1/24 and a 1/32 F1 car on the track so you can visualize the size. My next step is routing....stay tuned....here's some more pics.

Paul, here's how I joined the bottom half of the L...

...with the usual groove

The end of the straightaway with the 1/24 and 1/32 cars.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've routed the slots for 2 lanes, and it was routed by hand, except for the straightaways where I had a long piece of wood to rest the router against. There were some areas that needed a little sanding/touch-up, and I will prime and paint over the next couple days. I think the squeezes throughout the course will make racing a challenge. Here's some more pics:

·
Registered
253 Posts
That is going to take some driving skill to get arount the ES's
, but to follow it up with a nice long straight is a great idea

Are you using copper tape or Braid?

What is the lane spacing on the straight?

Can't wait to see more

Paul

·
Registered
62 Posts
That looks like a really neat piece of work.
I'm about to embark on building my first permanent track, but using plastic track.
I was thinking of using 1/2 inch MDF like you, but with a supporting framework made from 2x1s, ie considerably smaller than yours - do you recommend the larger sized wood that you've used for your framework, or could I get away with 2x1s?

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys!

I will be using copper tape, and I think the lane spacing is 3 inches or so...I measured off my SCX track and used that measurement.

If I had to do it again, I would use 1x4's....2x4's were a little overboard now that it is almost done, but at least it will be strong!!

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Put down a coat of primer, 2 coats of flat gray latex on the top and sides, 1 coat of latex on the bottom to prevent warping, and some green latex for the grass. I'll try to take some better pics tomorrow...but here's a few:

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I wanted to add that there will not be much scenery, if any. I know some purists would like to see some grass, foliage, rocks, etc. But my garage gets dusty, dirty, and nasty quickly. With this setup, a wipe-down and vacuum are all that's needed to keep it clean. Yes, I LOVE the realistic looking tracks with all the scenery and whatnot, but for now, I just want something fun and low maintenance. More pics to come.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
This track is looking excellent.

You have created a circuit to be proud of!

You may be able to answer one question that I have about routed layouts, yomama...after all this hard work, time, planning and expense you don't know what it will drive like yet do you?

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Took my first spin today!!! Silicones work great, but rubber doesn't stick well as of now. Maybe this will change once the track gets a few hundred laps in it...we'll see. Here's the pics....99 % done...need to paint and decorate the guard walls.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.