SlotForum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I'm starting my track in a few weeks time I would like to attach a guide to my router to copy the first routed slot. Okay, I know the gap between the bit and the pins in the guide must be the gap between the slots but what's the distance between the pins in the guide. There's normally two pins in the guide so that the router runs square. On some sites I see they use different size guides depending on the part of track they are doing. Is this necessary?

I hope this makes some sense.

·
Graham Windle
4,442 Posts
do you mean what s the distance between the lanes ? On uk club tracks its 4" but for home use 3 3/4" is usualy ok unless you run 1/24th scale .
I normaly use a circlar saw to cut the staights and just route the corners .
If you nail a staight piece of wood down the length of the straight yo can use that as a guide if you press the saw or router against it .Like wise using a flexible strip of plastic you can form variable radius bends by the same method ,hope this is clear

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks GRAH1. but I only want to measure and draw out one lane and fit a "copy" guide to the base of the router to follow the original groove and create the second one.

Here is a schematic of what I'm talking about.

·
Graham Windle
4,442 Posts
I see what you mean , Ive never done it that way, but for fixed radius bends Ive always used a trammell attached to the router ajust moved it out 4" per lane

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
Mampara, I believe the pins are normally spaced about 4" apart.

Be aware that this method has some drawbacks. First, since the pins must glide easily in the slot, there will be a tiny amount of freeplay and you need to be careful not to let the router "wobble" as you cut. Second, when you rout a new slot on the outside of a curve the lane spacing will be decreased, and when routing on the inside of a curve the spacing will be increased. This effect is proportional to the curve radius and can be a real problem on tight curves.

·
Al Schwartz
3,378 Posts
I used a method suggested by Luf Linkerd (over on the SCI board - routed track forum). I fitted the router with a circular base, R= lane spacing + 1/16", and then used a 12' piece of 1/8" X 1/2" nylon strip, inserted into the already routed slot, as a guide. It made very quick work of routing the second through fourth lanes.

EM

1 - 6 of 6 Posts