SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Vehicle Car Wheel Tire Hood

Rover had been involved in developing the jet engine with Frank Whittle during the war and had developed several prototype road going gas turbined cars and a range of turbine engines during the 1950s and 1960s. In 1962 they demonstrated one of these cars at Le Mans which gave the race organisers the idea to offer a prize for a turbine car in the 1963 event.

Rover decided to take up the challenge and considered both Cooper and BRM as a partner to construct the car for their engine. Mutual business interests dictated that BRM should get the job and in a matter of just three months a prototype was built in time for testing at the Le Mans test weekend.

To create the car BRM cut the chassis of a 1961 BRM P57 grand prix car in half and widened it to accommodate a two-seater design. The original F1 cars front and rear suspension set ups were retained although larger brakes were fitted as the turbine wouldn't provide any engine braking and they fitted some bigger old stock Dunlop wheels from their P25 2.5-litre grand prix cars to accommodate these brakes.

The car ran extremely well throughout the test, practice and the race averaging 107.8mph and covering 2,592.8 miles in the 24 hours.

To carve the shell I used balsa wood, the Walkden Fisher drawings from Model Maker magazine and various photographs from my reference books including, "Turbine Grand Prix" by Gerard Crombac and "BRM, The Saga of British Racing Motors Volume 2" by Doug Nye.

Hair Comfort Rectangle Wood Linens

Wood Art Sculpture Artifact Linens

Hood Car Automotive design Vehicle Automotive lighting

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

Tire Vehicle Car Toy Wheel

The finished shell which I sprayed in Maserati Rifle Grey. The wheels and inserts are from RS Slotracing. Decals and driver figure from the spares box. Bonnet strap is masking tape and fine wire and the windscreen wiper is very thin brass strip. The exhaust duct is very thin plastic sheet.

David

Attachments

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Fantastic work as always by Mr Lawson!

I was rather shocked that the car wasn't in British Racing Green (or the rather darker version of it that BRM tended to use). So that sent me back to the race reports which reveal that the car arrived and practised 'unpainted' but appeared on Saturday morning for the race painted in what is described as 'BRM dark lust green'. The only photos I can find are black and white.

Stan Kirk.

·
Tony Condon
3,044 Posts
Hi David
As always a decent model of what was a fairly ugly car ,i felt the 1965 one was far nicer ,albeit less succesful

Cheers tony

·
Administrator
10,136 Posts
QUOTE (stanleykirk @ 6 Sep 2012, 09:19) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Fantastic work as always by Mr Lawson!

I was rather shocked that the car wasn't in British Racing Green (or the rather darker version of it that BRM tended to use). So that sent me back to the race reports which reveal that the car arrived and practised 'unpainted' but appeared on Saturday morning for the race painted in what is described as 'BRM dark lust green'. The only photos I can find are black and white.

Stan Kirk.

There is a painting here of the race, in that it does look dark green to me.
http://www.sportsgallery.co.uk/michael_turner.htm

·
Tony
2,834 Posts
I think colour is a very subjective thing and I some people see colours differently to others. I'm sorry but I would say that in the painting it looks green. Great cavrving job.

·
Administrator
10,136 Posts
I also found a photo that definitely shows it when it was dark grey - I guess that was from practice...

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
QUOTE (stanleykirk @ 6 Sep 2012, 10:19) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Fantastic work as always by Mr Lawson!

Stan Kirk.

You are quite correct in that BRMs colour was called Dark Lust Green since they first used it part way through the 1952 season, previously they were pale green.

The question of what paint to use for BRMs crops up all the time on different forums and everyone has their own favourite. It is very hard to reproduce in miniature and every colour picture you will ever find will have variations in it.

I use this Maserati rifle grey because Barry Boor reccommended it, in certain light it is spot on to my eye and in other light it doesn't look quite right - overall I am happy with it. As Bigtone has said it is subjective. A couple of years ago at Earlybirds in Wolverhampton I placed my BRM next to the BRMs of Dave Jones and Bryan King, all three cars were slightly different colour but all looked about right....

I used the same paint on these two BRMs and when you look at them "in the flesh", the colour is pretty convincing.

I also love the very workmanlike and aggressive bodywork of this car, it was simply constructed around engine clearance and the Le Mans dimensions regulations, no other thought went into it yet it worked very well with just the addition of a rear spoiler suggested by Richie Ginther during the test weekend to stop tail lift.

Graham Hill and Richie Ginther were pretty brave to race it with the very basic brakes of the day and no engine braking assistance - brake failure at the end of the Mulsanne sounds very scarey to me.

David

·
Gerald Lambourn
1,006 Posts
I remember gazing at BRM's at the Racing Car Show and later at Aintree trying to decide on a model colour, I ended up using a silver dope with green and black, I was pretty pleased with the result and I think David's interpretation is very good. But where did he find the "Maserati" colour? GeraldL

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
QUOTE (GeraldL @ 6 Sep 2012, 15:35) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I remember gazing at BRM's at the Racing Car Show and later at Aintree trying to decide on a model colour, I ended up using a silver dope with green and black, I was pretty pleased with the result and I think David's interpretation is very good. But where did he find the "Maserati" colour? GeraldL

Gerald

This is the website for the paint.

paints4u

Go into the 400ml custom paints, you need to know the name of the colour and the car manufacturer but this is where I get my "BRM" and "BRP" paint. It is about £12 a can but I spray about 6 or 7 shells per can.

Dave Jones mixes his BRM colour the way you have described.

David

·
Premium Member
1,780 Posts
Great carving job David and really impressed with the paint finish on the balsa. Can I ask what you use to seal the balsa before painting?

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
I'm afraid, as David says, I am the one responsible for this Maserati/B.R.M colour.

I was sent a piece of aluminium, many years ago now, by a man who said his friend actually owned a P.83 B.R.M and this was the colour of it. I took it to a car paint depot and compared it to literally hundreds of paint slips. Maserati Rifle Grey was the closest I could get.

I must agree that it is very grey but when I had some mixed in Halfords, I asked if there was actually any green in it. I was told, yes, there is.

However, some family visitors I had out here earlier this year all maintained that they could see no green in it at all. Ideally, I'd like to have some mixed with maybe two or three percent more green in it.

·
Registered
188 Posts
This discussion reminds me of when I was a schoolboy back in the '60s. I was building a slot car of the Felday 4 BRM and couldn't work out how to match the rather attractive metallic light blue of the original. Eventually, at the Tourist Trophy at Oulton Park, I plucked up the courage to ask Peter Felday, what the colour was - this was in the days when a schoolboy could afford a paddock pass. It didn't do me much good - although Peter and his driver Mac Daghorn were both very friendly, neither of them could help me. "I think it was an ICI colour but really it was just some paint we had in the workshop at the time." was Peter's response.

Gong back to the colour of BRMs, my recollection of seeing the H16s (again at Oulton Park but a couple of years later) is that they were definitely green not grey. A very dark green admittedly - so much so that from some angles in full sun it looked almost black.

DavidHack

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
hi, David
Thanks for yet another lovely car...you are one of the rare contributors who treats us to
the unexpected, and less commonly produced slot cars. I really admire your quality of
workmanship, but the variety you offer is the icing on the cake. Well done!!

John

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.