SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks. Please excuse my first attempt at making a build thread here. I am new.

I found this really old model of a gas-turbine race car. I never heard of it until I found this kit.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

Automotive parking light Vehicle Hood Car Motor vehicle

3/4" inch aluminum square tubing was used to fabricate the chassis. Reamed for 3/16" bearings.

Rectangle Handwriting Font Technology Beige

The excess material was cut away. The chassis was assembled.

Land vehicle Tire Wheel Car Automotive tire

Body mounted.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Hood Car

Gas Fashion accessory Rectangle Auto part Cylinder

Driver added (Sir Jackie Stewart). The car is complete. This is close to what it looked in 1964.

Vehicle Wheel Car Hood Toy

Car Vehicle Wheel Hood Motor vehicle

Thank you for looking.

Ken

Attachments

·
Registered
464 Posts
Love how simple the chassis is. Must be super stiff. Is that HYSOL that's glued the motor in place? How's it run?

Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Remarkable ,a neat and simple chassis .Did you machine away the excess ,or cut and file ?

Steve

·
Kitbasher
4,331 Posts
What a beautifully executed but very simple chassis, well done!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Hi

I have always liked this kit it is hard to find and I think it comes in at least two versions 1 : static. & 2 : Static / Slot Body which includes slot front / rear valance and flat interior for mounting the slot chassis on but have always wondered if a complete slot version was available, I have heard rumours of a slot kit but have never been ever to find any trace of one

john

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I've never seen a chassis that started off as a chunk of aluminium tube bfore, and it worked really well. A super job, well done.
thumbsup.gif

And that Rover BRM Turbine body is a gem, and as others have said, VERY rare these days.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Thank you very kindly for the compliments. Much appreciated.

Dingleberry. The chassis is super stiff and works best with slower class cars. It's one of my best handling slow "Sports cars". Probably because the tires are not restricted by the fenders. It won 1st place in it's class the first night out. And I'm not that good a driver. A very forgiving car at 76-grams (with stick-on lead added underneath). 5-minute epoxy was used to glue the motor in. (over 40 motors epoxied in place over 2-years. Zero failure rate)

Steve. A bandsaw was used to cut away the excess material. You can't have too many tools in the shop.

John. The kit actually came from the factory with both a static chassis, and parts to make it a slot car in the same box. I still have static chassis collecting dust somewhere. One of these kits just sold on EBay last week for $45. It was in better shape than mine. I had to paint the body because of injection mold lines. Keep checking EBay. These still show up now and then.

It looked a little bit strange to me at first. But it's one of my favorites now.

·
Graham Windle
4,445 Posts
I've never seen a chassis that started off as a chunk of aluminium tube bfore, and it worked really well. A super job, well done.
thumbsup.gif

And that Rover BRM Turbine body is a gem, and as others have said, VERY rare these days.
Kit back in the 60s Supershells used to sell square brass tubing just the right size to fit a 16d inside ,It was a popular method of constuction at the Accrington club back then ..

Ken youve made a great job cutting the chassis out it looks good .I think I would have liked to see the motor sunk into the plate to lower the c of g but its a great and easy method of constucting a good strong chassis . Please post some of your other builds

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Kit back in the 60s Supershells used to sell square brass tubing just the right size to fit a 16d inside
Oh yes, so they did.
thumbsup.gif

I'd forgotten that, and I never used that method myself but the guys at Leicester 1 built quite a few with that stuff. I was more into brass rod and sheet, I could solder those chassis up at work during the coffee breaks.
biggrin.png

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Graham. Thank you for your kind words. I found that adding lead under the chassis allows me to get the CG almost as low as cars that have a 1mm motor offset. The lead (heaviest part of the car) sits 1.5 mm off the track. It doesn't get much better than that. Not to mention that the aluminum is too thin to machine (1/16"-inch). It will lose all it's strength and break if you mill/thin it down. So long as I keep beating most of my brass counterparts at the races. I'm not complaining. If I lose a race, it's because of bad driving. It's usually not the car.

I just tried to post another build at your request and the site said I can't as I am forbidden to do so. I guess I need to learn the rules a little better before moving ahead.

Ken

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Hello folks. Please excuse my first attempt at making a build thread here. I am new.

I found this really old model of a gas-turbine race car. I never heard of it until I found this kit.

attachicon.gif
Rover BRM 1.JPG

attachicon.gif
Rover BRM 12.JPG

3/4" inch aluminum square tubing was used to fabricate the chassis. Reamed for 3/16" bearings.

attachicon.gif
Rover BRM 24.JPG

The excess material was cut away. The chassis was assembled.

attachicon.gif
Rover BRM 25.JPG

Body mounted.

attachicon.gif
Rover BRM 29.JPG

attachicon.gif
Rover BRM 34.JPG

Driver added (Sir Jackie Stewart). The car is complete. This is close to what it looked in 1964.

attachicon.gif
Rover BRM 42.JPG

attachicon.gif
Rover BRM 47.JPG

Thank you for looking.

Ken
That's a nice-looking body on a great model. I'd never seen one before.

The real car's in the British Motor Museum at Gaydon, as all slot enthusiasts must know!

Mike

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you for your kind words Mike. I wish I could visit the real car. But it's a long walk from Toronto, Canada. You found a way to figure out I have 47 pics of this car. Interesting.

Graham. Thank you for clarifying that it wasn't something I did wrong. I often make the most excellent mistakes. I will try a new thread later.

This is just a photo test for the elusive bug. The Rover before and after paint.

Automotive lighting Hood Mouse Motor vehicle Car

Automotive lighting Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Bumper

Attachments

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you very kindly Pace1970uk.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
To be fair. I should post the car with the added lead weight (9-grams). It would not perform well without it. Urethane washers allow float between the body and chassis. Tape prevents the screws from backing out.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Toy

Wheel Tire Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle

Attachments

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Laurence,

Super nice photo of the 1.6 Liter gas-turbine engine! It's just a little thing.

Wow, this was my very first thread here. You sure went digging to uncover an old rock.

Still one of my favorite slot car platforms. :)

Reactions: Trisha

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
My filing instructor at apprentice training school would not have accepted your filing. hahaha.
I like the tube idea. Novel.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts