SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having garnered loads of help and advice regarding the Sierra Cosworth I was hoping to pick members brains about the ubiquitous SD1 V8. Have any members got any idea of "specials" that were done or any reliveries? I would be eternally grateful for any advice or pictures...

I have a kind of visual database of any 1:1 cars I come across but I am sure you guys will have more...There must be more than me out there who loves the old bus.

Cheers.

·
David H
3,724 Posts
You'll find so much 3500 SD1/Vitesse information over on ten-tenths that it will keep you reading for hours. 97 pages of photos and information! They were fabulous cars. Not very good or fast on the road, but great when they had been sorted for racing.

http://www.ten-tenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81326

If you want ideas for liveries, how about sticking your fingers up at the politically correct brigade who ban the production of models of historic cars wearing cigarette advertising? I don't smoke and don't like second-hand smoke either, but still think it's a shame that we don't see these old liveries any longer. The tobacco companies gave us some of the best colour schemes in motor sport.

rover-3500-01.jpg

donington-85.jpg

rover-3500-02.jpg

Attachments

·
Alfie Noakes
2,655 Posts
QUOTE (Phil T @ 29 Feb 2012, 22:33) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>There must be more than me out there who loves the old bus.

Oh yes Phil, count me in! Same as for the Sierra rs500, I'd love to see Scalextric redo this one.
Great link Dopamine, also loads of info about the SD1 on the magnificant 'ARonline', especially the design & development of it.

ARonline

And now the gallery:

Cheers
Richard

PS, if anyone has any spare SD1 front & rear bumpers available, please let me know!

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
Here's one thats in my to do pile, ran by Tim Harvey in the '87 BTCC if my memory serves me correctly.

I've also got a Chevron B8, and am looking for a McLaren M8 to do in the same livery. Reason being that a pal of mine drove one of the Chevrons in the the team!

·
Registered
203 Posts
I like those cars too! In the early eigthies the first race I visited was the european touring Car championship in Austria/Zeltweg (now Red Bull Ring...).
Ther were great cars over the years and I like to see them as Slot cars:

Rover V8
Jaguar XJS HE Coupe
Volvo 240
Mercedes 190 2.3 16V
Alfa Romeo GTV 2.5
BMW M3 E30/635 CSI (done by Fly and Spirit)

I am sure there were others too but the above mentioned I remembered first!

·
Horlicks Hero
1,940 Posts
I remember my grandad used to own one in that ubiquitous red colour. Here's a picture I took of one mixing it up with some Capris at Cadwell Park in 1989...

scan0026 by stoooo, on Flickr

·
Registered
38 Posts
My favourite was the Rover P6.

I had one with a Rover 4.6 litre V8

Where can I buy one of those ?? 1/32 or 1/24th ??

·
Registered
173 Posts
Awesome guys! I have the ones in Richards gallery plus the Green NSCC and a delapidted Marshall car. I sold a new old stock mint one on Ebay when I was a bit short on cash and have regretted it ever since. I didn't get anywhere near what they go for now.

Dopamine. thanks for the ten tenths link, I stumbled across it as well and although there are loads of pages, flitting about the threads give loads more. Glad to share any pics if anyone is interested...

Splitrim, that one is sat on my table now, I'm just too chicken to try the decal printing yet as it will be my first attempt. I have lots of different angles that should allow me to get the car somewhere near.

Stoo...Rovers and Capri's...Happy days. I think I was born at the wrong time!

Sigma 51...Steve Francis does a resin P6 "Bill Shaw" version and if I remember correctly him and Dave Capleen have discussed a road trim version? One more for me to get to when I win the Lotto.

I have a Greens Tuff car without the decal applied. I got the car from Pendles ages ago with no stickers but got an unused set from somewhere else. Wish I could remember where as I could do with some more. OR even better someone who can do white decals copying them as waterslides...Any suggestions?

·
Alfie Noakes
2,655 Posts
QUOTE (Phil T @ 1 Mar 2012, 21:01) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Stoo...Rovers and Capri's...Happy days. I think I was born at the wrong time!

And an MG Maestro on the ridge!

The Marshal Rover has so far eluded me... waiting for one at the right price, which might mean waiting a while, as I do like a bargain.
Sorry to hear about your hit on the Marshals Rover, maybe your sale was part of this campaign:

Cheers,
Richard

·
Registered
627 Posts
1:1 anecdote time again....! a mate of mine was a rover dealer apprentice back in the early 90,s and while on a course , i'm not sure where , he spied a number of late model twin plenum vitesse models festering away up to their door handles in grass in a field. what a bloody shame. a model of one of these in road trim would certainly make a handsome beast!!

rover associated anecdote #1... the approved method for eliminating any trim rattles/squeaks found at pdi on 800 series rovers of the time was to launch them off the fiercest hump back bridge at the greatest possible velocity..... without totalling the customers new vehicle!

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Another fan here, I was gutted when I missed out on a V8 Championship set recently auctioned on eBay.

As a nipper, I remember visiting Beatties in Peterborough during the late eighties and seeing rows of Rover V8's, the Police and Texaco livery especially; all sitting unsold for weeks. The yellow 'bat-wing' Capri was a major shelf warmer at the time too!

James

·
Registered
173 Posts
Pete, just after arriving in NZ with my savings intact I found a 30 000 miler TP Vitesse on Trade me. Didn't understand at the time how the auction differed from Ebay and missed out right at the death. I nearly cried for weeks... Ah the 800. I even looked at a 216 Vitesse back in the day just because of the association and I am usually so sensible and immune to trickery.

Richard, did Patrick actually say "Constant developments in engineering and reliability..." No wonder he ended up on Emmerdale!

Scott, thanks for the links. Another hour gone!

And the 2600...swapped out three of those to replace with V8s. I never learned.

See how it pays to buy British...See!

And finally one from Down under to please the V8 loving chocoholic in your life...

·
Registered
627 Posts
not been fortunate enough to have a sd1. i had to make do with a classic 2 door range rover for my v8 kick. i did however once own rovers fastest production saloon , a 827 vitesse. what a fantastic car....and mine was damn near exactly the same as the one that dear old tony pond set the prod saloon tt lap record in.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Great driving on that vid Pete. bearing in mind previous anecdotes are you sure he wasn't just doing a PDI trim check?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Jamie, I know how you feel mate...

Having spent quite a bit of time in Peterborough working out of an office in Sawtry I wonder if they might not still be there? lol

·
Registered
627 Posts
couldnt have been , the wheels were too close to the ground!
....our local humpback offered at least 2' of air on a good day! i once managed to empty the entire contents on my mates bag of chips who was sat in the back of my mk2 granada all over the headlining during an enthusiastic "yomp"!

·
Alfie Noakes
2,655 Posts
Uh oh Phil, sudden moment of clarity... you know you're sad when you play 'would you' with a BL brochure cover.
Cheers
Richard

Ps no, no, yes, yes, yes

·
Registered
173 Posts
QUOTE (petestrike @ 1 Mar 2012, 22:10) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>i once managed to empty the entire contents on my mates bag of chips who was sat in the back of my mk2 granada all over the headlining during an enthusiastic "yomp"!

Ha ha! I remember doing a similar thing with a chipped (no pun intended) R5 Gordini turbo when I was test driving it whilst selling it to a neighbour! Those were the days...

QUOTE (richardtheforth @ 1 Mar 2012, 22:14) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Uh oh Phil, sudden moment of clarity... you know you're sad when you play 'would you' with a BL brochure cover.
Ps no, no, yes, yes, yes

It took me a moment but I got there! Lol. For the record I agree. Although I did own an MG Metro for a while. For about a week before the wife crashed it! There are some pretty impressive pics inside the brochure. Can't remember where I got it. Maybe at the same time as my old neighbour (not the above, the other side) gave me an AR workshop/ service manual for the SD1. Still have that too. If anyone needs to know how many welds were on the front wing...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts