SlotForum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Premium Member
4,847 Posts
Seems a bit of a silly that they are going to give you £150 to buy some bits, when all it needs is a £120 to go and buy a C7042 Powerbase and a USB cable.

Rich

· Premium Member
4,847 Posts
So given that we have one hardware option with C7042 & another with my Display-Pro, which has an Identical Interface based on the Parallax Propeller board, which just happens to be an RS stock item
Is there anyone on the Forum that fancies writing a simple program to link their API to the C7042 SNC protocol?

Rich

· Premium Member
4,847 Posts
This one is not for me as it's PC software, happy to help anyone that wants to have a go? I got this reply from my sugestion to use a Scalectric C7042.

QUOTE I wasn't actually aware of the C7042! From what you've said, it sounds like the work required using that unit would actually be software based. Ie hacking together a piece of software, using our API, to control via the USB?

If I've understood that correctly, then it would definitely be a perfectly legitimate solution and feel free to submit that as your idea!

So if anyone wants to have a go, particularily any of the RMS writers? Then C7042 would be a very straightforward & reliable way forward, compared to designing some hardware from scratch.

If making a proposal I would also ask for Digital cars which then would mean that cars could run in either lane & be counted correctly (which I suspect they have not even thought of) Plus some interesting opportunities for random or Tweet driven Lane changing.

All you need is a simple program, reading the API, which looks to be a web based text string with the Tweet count for the cars. (Although they have provided no real info, just a link) Then I would sugest a program with a few setup options. Tweets / laps / speed etc that they can play with to set things up to keep the cars on the track most of the time.

You could also propose they produce an extension to the API to allow feedback from the lap counting / timing ability of C7042 to then generate Tweets giving a running commentry. Plus finally a random lap / speed generator to keep things going for when their API fails.

Rich

· Premium Member
4,847 Posts
Sam forgot to say that if you plan on deslotting then you are required to control a small robot arm to replace the car on the track. I suggest keeping them on the black stuff.

Sam, will there be a webcam or some means of seeing what is going on?

Rich

· Premium Member
4,847 Posts
I was going to do something, but timing incredibly bad and all my spare time has gone into the Olympics,
All too late now, closing date for entries was 31 July.

Rich

· Premium Member
4,847 Posts
Have to say organisation is a bit of a mess here.

I had given up on making an entry because of the date, now we find out but were not informed that the data has been extended?

I also have oustanding questions from over a week ago.

Also Sy do not know what information you have been sent, but I was sent the API documentation and can see no mention of svcutil.exe? I just have a URL link to the API and details of the returned JSON.

Rich

· Premium Member
4,847 Posts
OK we have the same document. When I visit the link I download the tweet numbers / time as expected.

What I was trying to find out, but have had no reply to, before I gave in because of the date.... Was confirmation that it will be a Scalectric digital track? (otherwise non starter for me) Can we have an XLC after the start line? Will the URL remain the same because I will have to have it hard coded in my track interface? Can we be given the means of updating the tweet numbers for testing?

Rich

· Premium Member
4,847 Posts
OK in that case we have different documents, have just searched it and svcutil.exe is not found. However accesing the URL does give me the tweet data.

I am planning on using a Wiznet module interface to my Dispay-Pro (Wi-Slot Power module), however the Network part completely untried at this point. Also as confused as you as to exact requirement by when, another unanswered question. Although I do know that they have more than one working prototype including one from someone who worked the entire Weekend that entries were opened. Which was the other reason I gave up...

Rich

· Premium Member
4,847 Posts
I have the same Doc & link as you, but I dont get that, just a download & save with the Tweet data. However this is all a bit academic as it's on the PC.....

Rich

· Premium Member
4,847 Posts
OK just checked I have IE9. However on going to the link I get the open or save dialog and on opening get this data.

{"d":"33,15,20:28:42.2885"}

Rich

· Premium Member
4,847 Posts
I have no worries about the data format or how then to handle it, subtractor looks to be a complete waste of time. My concern is the amount of work to interface the Wiznet module to my other hardware and get the firmware working to drive it and then access the Tweet data to then drive my track interface module.

If someone else in a Weekend has constructed hardware with the SSD track drive data protocol & an Internet interface to retrieve the Tweet data, and then all the glue to make it work together I should probably just retire gracefully.

Rich

· Premium Member
4,847 Posts
QUOTE (Sam RS @ 24 Jul 2012, 17:25) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>A digital track

QUOTE (Sam RS @ 7 Aug 2012, 10:54) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi all - again, apologies Rich, could you check your spam folder as

It is not a digital track (so far as I'm aware)

OK I give in... No Spam folder here, and your previous emails came through fine.

Earlier you said yes to a digital track , now no...

Rich

· Premium Member
4,847 Posts
Thanks Erik for those words of wisdom that only you could provide.... I think that makes it Game - Set - and Match.

Rich

· Premium Member
4,847 Posts
OK nothing new here, at least two other Tweet based Scalextric races have been run.

Capespeed

BBC

The problem with this one is incredibly bad timing to coincide with the Olympics, very bad organisation & lack of / confusing information & rules, combined with being a tad boring...

I was told it was digital which at least would make it different, open up some slightly more interesting options and raise the bar on the code needed to compete.

I suggest a technical time out and restart with Digital being mandatory and move it on from a Red and Blue car Analog race to a Gold, Silver & Bronze Digital Race.

Rich

· Premium Member
4,847 Posts
It's an analog track, so no lane change, so not considered. If it had been digital with > 2 Cars I had in mind that the box would control the lane changing by monitoring the lane & closeness of the cars when they crosssed the Powerbase, and then switch lanes to keep them apart. Hence my request for an XLC just after the Powerbase.

Rich

· Premium Member
4,847 Posts
I would suggest this as a centerpiece.

Make the track using the largest radius curves available to avoid delsots and design the track to have equal lane lengths / include a crossover.

I am sure someone who likes playing with the track layout programs will come up with a design.

Rich

· Premium Member
4,847 Posts
Yes Chris that's the sort of thing I had in mind.

Ordered my Rasberry Pi from Farnell, arrived weeks ago.

Rich

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.