SlotForum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Matt Tucker
3,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
Whist we are discussing this proposal we do also need to have a vote on Ricky's proposals regarding the NASCAR class.

A brief reminder of what it was;
Allow Slot.It rear end, (axles, bearings, gears and wheels) and NSR tyres.
Gear ratio to remain unaltered.
Wheels of one specific type only, 15x8.
NSR tyres of one type only, Ford MkIV.

Allow SCX NASCARs to race under the same rules.

Cheers.
****. -_-

·
David Farrow
1,237 Posts
Hi Guys

Being affected by the lack of available tires for this class I have made some urethanes for them both Scx and Scalex.
Df

·
Premium Member
2,958 Posts
I think it's time we sorted this.
NASCAR has always been a popular class and we are not racing them because of this delayed decision.
The original proposals are repeated here, including the option of 'Loud' tyres.
We will take a vote on finals night for the current Unlimited Saloon series.

RULE CHANGE PROPOSAL

This was first proposed about a year ago but a decision was postponed.

NASCAR

We currently only allow Scalextric NASCARs to race but these are all now discontinued and are becoming increasingly difficult find and expensive to buy.

Proposal 1
Add the SCX range of NASCARs to the eligible cars list.
(There is currently a big range available at very low prices).

Allow them to run with the original motor or to be fitted with the 20k Scaleauto S can.

Proposer: Ricky Gowan & **** Kerr

Proposal 2
There is also the problem of tyres.
Scalextric NASCAR tyres are now almost impossible to find and they do not fit the SCX wheels anyway.
SCX NASCAR tyres have almost no grip on our track and are therefore not an option.

Option 1

Retain the original gears and wheels and specify the use of David Farrows 'Loud' Urethane Tyres.

Proposer: David Farrow

Option 2

Allow the substitution of Slot.It rear wheels and gears.
Wheels to be 15x8 (SIPA17als or SIPA24als) only, no 'air wheels'.
Gears for sidewinders to be 11t pinion (SIPS11) and 36t 19mm spur gear (SIGS1936) only.
Gears for inlines to be free choice of Slot.It gears.
Tyres to be NSR Ultragrip 21x10 (5237) with a minimum diameter of 20mm.
(These Ultragrip tyres may have too much grip so it might be wise to allow NSR Supergrip tyres of the same size [5236]).

Proposer: Ricky Gowan & **** Kerr

Comments welcome.
Cheers.

·
David Farrow
1,237 Posts
Me… I wasn't there, didn't say nuffin, didn't propose nuffin, Talk, a while ago, yes but proposed nuffin. I would not propose the use of something I have made until there had been some testing by others.

I first got into moulding Tyres as we needed something for the Slot-stocks. The Msra couldn't get a constant supply of anything they were happy with and at the time, Ed was totally opposed to any suggestion of using sponge!!! At no small expense I tooled up with all I needed to cast in urethane. Unfortunately although the louds worked well until baby oil was used on the track and rendered them useless, it would seem they were not wanted and my investment wasted. I have made a lot of odd sizes tyres for some of my classic cars with the remainder of the stuff, it need to be used as once it is opened it has a short shelf life. I made some Louds for both Scx and Scalex Nascars. Some of you will have seen how quick my little standard 8 is and that is kitted out with Louds. The Nascar issue needs to be resolved for sure. By simply using Louds we keep the rules the same and there is very little expense. When we first started using Nsr ultragrips for Rally cars we were supposed to use listed sizes and at the time I was running a small shop. I stocked up on the listed sizes and guess what… I still have them. It was one of the reasons I gave up on that. All most everyone used something they had in there pit-box, I can't blame them.

I had given some sets of Louds out for testing to see if anyone thought it would be a good answer to this issue. As far as I know they have been tossed aside and no one has even bothered to mount them up. I will ask at this time has anyone mounted up a set of the proposed Nsr tyres on the proposed wheels and got them on to a side winder nascar there is not much room. A set of ultragips, a set of supergrips, a set of wheels for each, twenty four quid ++, oh dear got the worng hubs, even more. It's not cheap and it's not proven to work. Will they handle or just tip and will they be as much fun as they were?????

I don't have any more sets of Louds in the right sizes but I do have some new urethane and I will open it and cast more if there is any interest.

·
Matt Tucker
3,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I still have a set of louds and a boxed SCX NASCAR that is on my to do list, will put them together and bring up on Thursday. Dave, if you still have some nsr ultras and other bits and bobs from your shop bring them along again you never know when people might want them. Young Nic is buying some spares currently.

Matt

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
Scaly Nascar Tyres Part no is W8929 and are available from Pendle if that is of use to you guys.
Cheers
brembo

·
Premium Member
2,958 Posts
Hi brembo,
Thanks for that info.
If these are indeed the original tyres, and not silicone, then that will help if we stick to running Scalex cars only.
They don't fit the SCX hubs though.

David,
Before the original proposal was put forward I built up both a Scalex and an SCX NASCAR with Slot.It hubs and gears and NSR tyres.
In my opinion they work very well. I will bring them with me for the next couple of weeks for anyone to try.
As for the wheels and gears we all have them in our boxes and on many other cars so there's actually no cost involved except for tyres which most of us need to buy now anyway.
I have a set of 'Louds' but no spare axle on which to mount them.
Someone promised me a set but they have never materialized.

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
2,958 Posts
I have looked up the Scalextric NASCAR tyres on the Scalextric service sheet and they are listed as W8306.
This matches up with the code on last couple of pairs of these tyres that I still have.
These are the ones that we know work on our track.
Has anyone got any of the W8929 tyres? Do they fit and do they work?
Cheers.

·
Premium Member
2,958 Posts
Voting on the revisions to the NASCAR rules took place yesterday evening.
There was a very good turnout for last nights final so the majority of member got to vote.

Proposal 1.
Add SCX NASCARS to the eligible cars list.
Accepted.

Proposal 2.
Option 1. Allow the use of 'Loud' Urethane tyres.
Rejected.
Option 2. Allow the use of Slot.It wheels and gears and NSR tyres.
Accepted.

A revised version of the NASCAR rules will appear on the club website shortly.

Cheers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts