SlotForum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone - I'm building out a new track and I am trying to scratch build as much of it as I can: for example, we built a vintage Le Mans-style pit garage, we've built our own fencing from gutter filters, are constructing stone tunnels from clay, are laying down gravel pits, etc. One thing that has been bedeviling me is what to use to construct the rumble strips along the track. We've laid down a layer of MDF to cover the table not covered by track such that the MDF is now level with the (Scalextric) track. We're definitely not going to use the Scalextric plastic strips. On a prior test build, I tried out clay which works only so-so in my experience. To get a concrete-like finish I've also tried paint with sand mixed in but I found that not to be very practical as the sand easily kicks loose when cars fishtail onto the strip, leaving a mess behind. My latest idea is to make individual "chiclets" out of thin wood, maybe Balsa, and lay them on too of the MDF. Unfortunately that doesn't really give me the concrete-like finish I'm looking for.

Any thoughts! Thanks everyone!

Mark

·
Registered
865 Posts
have a go at making one length out of something like plasticiene or similar, then cast a one part silicone rubber mould and use that to make sections in resin?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts