SlotForum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I have a variety of different makes of slot cars.
I use Parma 45 ohm controllers with the brake connected.

When you release the trigger to brake, the Scaley SCX, Slot-it,Fly and Ninco cars come to an almost instantaneous halt,whereas Auto Art and Carrera cars tend to run on quite a bit on before they stop.

Could this be because the latter two makes have more capacitors connected accross their motor's?
Scaley, SCX and the others only have one capacitor.
Or is there another reason?(perhaps they don't have ABS!)

As far as I know the capacitors are used to stop radio interference,but then again I don't know to much!.

Best regards
Bryan

·
Administrator
10,158 Posts
Different motors have different braking effects. So not as easy as removing the shunt resistors (the anti noise capacitors have little to no effect)

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
QUOTE (beneke @ 4 May 2012, 07:17) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Guys,

I have a variety of different makes of slot cars.
..........,whereas Auto Art and Carrera cars tend to run on quite a bit on before they stop.
As far as I know the capacitors are used to stop radio interference, but then again I don't know to much!.

Best regards
Bryan

You could add Revell/monogram to that of "absent without a brake" list - again, it is probably the German maker (Revell), not their USA monogram entity determining motor choice, but I suspect it is also determined for such brands by the factory which does the assembly and sources the components.
I have LONG suspected that the same Chinese factory is the contracted one to produce Revell and Carrera cars, as I have noted several other commonalities of component and design system between these brands. I read the article/saw the video about Carrera owning their own plant in South China, maybe Revell stuff is also made there, and hence end up with the same motors.

As someone said, they are a motor with little braking - combination of magnet strength, comm. timing, and the windings.

These are also brands which have quite "robust bodies" (heavy plastic), and that means more rolling inertia - more weight to pull up when the power goes off and the motor becomes a generator into a dead short.

Removing the caps or chokes (whichever are used), will often slightly improve brakes, but barely noticable.
if you want more brakes, switch donkey. There are plenty of sources of basic mabuchi 18/20/22K black stripe motor around on the net for not much money.

If your dollar is a little more fluid, a Slot.it (oft unfairly malaigned) orange bell has more revs, and 70% more torque than a mabuchi motor, and can be geared down a little for same top speed and give LOTS of brakes.

·
Administrator
10,158 Posts
I concur. Changing the motor is going to have the biggest effect and does not have to cost the earth. Scaley motors can be had for under a fiver, or get a start car - someone advertising some on this forum for £7 each and then you get the motor and axles, wheels, magnet, tyres, guide. Bin the start car body.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts