SlotForum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Circuit Owner
5,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another thread in this section (the track cleaner one) along with another one on AC2car has sparked an idea/question.

Would it be possible to run a race with 6 piloted cars AND 2 pilotless drones (one in each lane) using AC2car principles and rheostats or variable resistors to control their speed?

There would be issues with track geometry - avoiding really tight bends so a reasonable pace could be set by the drones OR using extra magnets and more torquey motors (but then a power mod might be needed).

Is it doable?

I'm thinking a couple of Transit vans as the drones with a knob on top to fine tune the speed.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Just put in a bridge rectifier and a variable resistor and power permitting has as many drones as you like.
Easier still just plonk on a Police Range Rover and the Siren will drive you round the bend.....

Rich

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
As long as you are using the latest firmware on the C7042. It now ignores the blade counter, 085 would cause problems.

·
Greg Gaub
14,650 Posts
Two magnets, a torque-y motor (to overcome the magnets) and a guide blade in the rear end.

Also, does anyone know off hand if the APB controlled by SSDC has the track dead during a start? If not, then the pacers set up like that will be pushing on the cars waiting to start. ;-)

·
Registered
217 Posts
I once tryied a short race with 10 cars at the same time
So you could have 5 piloted cars and all the pace cars are on same ID... Maybe not a smart move but it did work.

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
Bridge rectifiers can be found inside Drift cars if you want to experiment ...... it's the board in the middle with the 4 diodes on.

·
Circuit Owner
5,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (MrFlippant @ 21 Mar 2012, 02:30) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Two magnets, a torque-y motor (to overcome the magnets) and a guide blade in the rear end.

Also, does anyone know off hand if the APB controlled by SSDC has the track dead during a start? If not, then the pacers set up like that will be pushing on the cars waiting to start. ;-)

Dead track would be good but if not the marshal can simply place the pacers on the track at the right time and in an appropriate place.

I guess the same question arises with a track call - does SSDC kill power during a track call or simply override the car throttle signals?

MrFlippant - your 2 guide idea could be more inspired than you think. Running a drone slow enough to negotiate R1 turns also means it is likely to get stuck on frogs (the dead part of an LC) - BUT if you have 2 guides you could have 2 guides with braids - so a drone could be sent round quite slowly without getting stuck on LCs - this slow pace would force cars to change lanes to avoid getting stuck behind it - two magnets would stop the following car simply pushing it off the track. Two drones spaced far away from each other as possible and on different lanes would present quite an interesting racing challenge.

·
Greg Gaub
14,650 Posts
Oh yeah, track calls also need to kill power! Two magnets and two guides on a pacer will also make it a heck of a wrecker, plowing through every other car on the track unless it is stopped with a power-less track.

·
Circuit Owner
5,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have you been spying on me and my friends racing my 6 transit vans!!!!

Heck of a wrecker could apply to at least 4 of them!!!

I tend to hang back, pick my moment and gentle roll through the carnage while they all scream at the Marshall to put theirs back on first!!!

I've cured the problem now though - I stopped bringing the Transits and made them buy their own cars - it made the racing a lot more civilised!!!!

Mind you - my neighbours are now showing a lot more interest so I think history is about to repeat itself. Better get a roll of 1:32 gaffer tape methinks.

Anyway - back on topic - power off on track call and race start - can anybody answer this? My track is stacked in the garage awaiting its next outing
so it's not easy to try this out

·
Prof I T
Ting Tong
11,085 Posts
hi
power off before a race is an option within ssdc...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts