SlotForum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was ready the FAQ and it mentions that the SSD powerbase puts out AC to the rails... while a Ninco powerbase put out DC.
I think I remember reading somwhere that the SSD powerbase would run on DC but then convert the power to AC at the rails?

Anyway, from what I understand, the current chip only works on DC ? which means that I would need to switch to the new type of chip if I wanted to run my track from an AC source?

Are there any advantages to running O2 from one power source over the other? and please correct me if I am wrong in the points above.

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Yes all sort of correct. All Powerbases are fed with a DC supply.

Ninco has DC but with short bursts of data on the track, so to an O2 chip this looks like DC.

SSD puts out AC (actually a square wave which is both the power to the cars and the data). So O2 requires this to be converted back to DC with a bridge rectifier & some smoothing, so will need the new chip.

In general, unless you want to run a mixed setup of SSD & 02 cars, running the track from a directly connected DC supply (Not Ninco or SSD) is by far the best as current and regulation are only limited by the DC supply and not the mosfets and other limiting components in the output stage of the Powerbase.

Rich

·
Greg Gaub
14,663 Posts
I think I might have missed something. Is a forthcoming Slot.it O2 chip going to come with an on-board bridge rectifier? I thought that the small guide-mounted bridge rectifier was the only way to run O2 cars on an SSD track in SSD mode.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Actually I think I have got it wrong and in fact both the Type 1 & Type 2 chips have diodes. The Type 2 (smaller board) however has the facility to bypasss the Diodes, and the volt drop, for a DC supply.

Rich

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
just re-read the FAQ again. And you guys are right. I had forgotten about the rectifier board. I think DC is best for simplicity straight from a PSU much like analog track are powered if Im not mistaken.

·
Vendor
2,919 Posts
Hi.
Current chip O201a can run on DC only - which means it can run off rectified DC (analog tracks), and e.g. Ninco digital, or Carrera digital power base.
To run on SSD AC, the external rectifier bridge board is necessary.
We did this to avoid an extra diode drop.
Next chip O201b will be able to run on both DC and AC, which means basically that it can run on SSD power base directly. BUT. Depending on where you solder the wires coming from the braids, it will be DC only (so no extra diode voltage drop, just like the current chip), or AC compatible (SSD), through a built in rectifier bridge which is however not used in DC-only mode.

·
Greg Gaub
14,663 Posts
Ok, so if you solder the wires as for AC operation, will there still be a voltage drop when used on DC tracks? My guess is yes, but I wanted to be clear.

·
Vendor
2,919 Posts
Hi

With regards to the O202b chip:
When the chip is soldered for DC operation, you get 1 diode voltage drop. This is also what happens in current chip.
When the chip is soldered for AC operation, you get 2 diode voltage drop.

AC mode will only be available with next chip O201b.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts