SlotForum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Compadres!

My search for what will end up being best continues...

So which variants of digital systems offer slugs "S(low) car go(ing slowly)"?
The now very much obsolete and abolished Pro-X did.

What of SCXD, SSD, Ndigital and Digital132 respectively?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hi Eric, if your question is which Digital track has or will operate via a variable or ajustable speed ,i can tell you that Ninco track functions will not operate reliably at any voltage below 12 volts. There is no way i'm aware of that will let you adjust Ninco track voltage at the Console. So you have to do your adjustments (voltage ) wise at the Power Supply. I don't know about the other Manufactuers though. Robert V.

·
Bruce Yingling
1,610 Posts
Not really sure what the question means, either. But. Carrera digital has adjustable max speed, max brake, and fuel tank sizes. It can be set at the level of the car chip. They range from 1..10. Max speed of 1 will not deslot on a Carrera track. Max speed of 10 is full track power. Max brake of 1 basically has no brakes. Max brake of 10 means...you can guess. So you can have a car on the track running at max speed 10 (full power), right along side a car running at max speed 1 (won't go fast enough to deslot). I can't think of any reason why that extreme case would be handy, but the vast middle ground is extremely useful.

·
Greg Gaub
15,350 Posts
Erik might be asking about which systems have pace and/or safety and/or ghost car functions. If so then:

Scalextric: can program any of the 6 car IDs to go around the track at a set speed, or using 3rd party software, play back a recorded lap for slightly better competition.

Carrera: has ghost cars like Scalextric, but I don't think the available software can do a recorded lap. it DOES however have a dedicated safety car system where any car programmed as the safety car will exit its pit lane at the press of a button, run a couple laps at low speed and then reenter a pit lane (automatically or at the press of the button again, I forget which)

SCXD: Requires a specialized and hard to find Pacer car that is specifically programmed to perform safety car duties. There is no ghost/pace car functions otherwise, and you'd need to put a rubber band on a controller to fake one.

Ninco: I don't think they have pace or ghost or safety cars of any kind. To make a car go automatically, you'd need to do the rubber band trick.

With a Slot.it SCP1d controller, any of those systems can have a fixed speed ghost car by using the ghost car feature built into the controller. A special button combination puts it in this mode and speed is controlled by one of the knobs on the controller.

Scorpius and oXigen are both too new to have anything other than a "rubber band" ghost car, though I believe such features are planned for both systems.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hi MrFlippant, you are correct when it comes to Ninco Pace or Ghost cars or the lack there of, Ninco beleives there is no need for Ghost or Pace cars, i have read this and heard there is no need for them on the other web site by Ninco . Allso talked to Ninco Bob himself and was told that their answer was to race against your fastest time on the clock (Console) . So i bought an after market device that plugs into any port on the Console. This allso has a variable speed adjustment and can run any brand of car with out any modifications to the track or the cars. It's sort of like a Greyhound Dog chaseing a Rabbit. So there is something better than the Rubber Band thing. I like it better than racing against the clock because you can Pace the car and plan where you want to pass ETC, more realistic. But Ninco dosn't get it.
Robert V

·
Greg Gaub
15,350 Posts
Oh yeah, that pace car box thing. Doesn't it have a switch to make it change lanes randomly or something? That's a nice feature.
Of course, you can make any system have a fixed speed car by opening a controller and removing the trigger spring. Then, the trigger will stay wherever you set it.
It's nice not to have to do that, though.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
This is interesting... what is this "after market device that plugs into any port on the Console" and does it work on anything other than Ninco?

Cheers!

·
Greg Gaub
15,350 Posts
It's made by a guy who designed it himself. I believe it sells on ebay, and/or directly from the guy. I'm fairly certain that it is specifically and only for Ninco Digital.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Thanks, Mr. F. I bet others were wondering the same thing.

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you everyone, and especially Mr Flippant. Who pinpointed my question like an experienced carpenter would take the hammer to a nail. (Or me taking the Philips to the bolt...)

It seem as if my work on a S-car-go will have validity. Giving us a slug worth it's salt. (And how many faults did that sentence include?!)

Give me time and my sponsor more grass to heal and there will be two easy enough systems for low-tech home use.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hi Sealevel, I don't now who is building this device, there is no name on it anywhere. It has a variable knob to controll the speed of the car and a switch to allow the car to either stay in one lane or change from one lane to the other. It is not perfect,it has to be adjusted (fine tuned) to to allow for the different attitude of each car. I didn't buy mine from Ebay,i got it privately as part of a larger track, accesories purchase on the other Slot Car web site. I had seen it on Ebay but not knowing if it would work or not ,didn't want to take the chance. I asked Ninco about it and all they would say was ,they knew it was out their,but they didn't make it or didn't know if it worked. Ninco didn't believe there was a need for it,so they wouldn't make it.
All i now is i like it so i can race another car and practice passing and blocking. As for it working on other brands of track, this device won't work because the other manufactures have some of the features that this device has allready built in.
Robert V.

·
Alfie Noakes
2,655 Posts
QUOTE (Erik M @ 8 Jun 2011, 09:23) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Compadres!

My search for what will end up being best continues...

So which variants of digital systems offer slugs "S(low) car go(ing slowly)"?
The now very much obsolete and abolished Pro-X did.

What of SCXD, SSD, Ndigital and Digital132 respectively?

Whatever happened to Gorp?

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
QUOTE (Robert V. @ 9 Jun 2011, 17:15) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Sealevel, I don't now who is building this device, there is no name on it anywhere. It has a variable knob to controll the speed of the car ... have some of the features that this device has allready built in.
Robert V.
Be somewhat patient and you'll have a system that is a fair bit more active than that, digital and analogue both.

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This takes more time than planned. Mainly because the underlying project walks with extreme prejudice... transistors tend to do that, to survive... But each day's trials lend me that more knowledge. And what's lent me, that I keep!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.