SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Alfie Noakes
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
It sounds like it's all over for SAAB. I'm not an owner or SAAB enthusiast particularly, but I am interested in anything that's not mainstream. I feel sad that there will be less real choice and more similarity for new car buyers from now on. I would hope anyone with an interest in cars will be saddened by this.
I'm also sad that a brand with a reputation for quality cars that have such a loyal and committed following weren't able to make cars profitably. And there's never a good time to be made redundant, but I really feel for the employees at the moment.
Sigh,
Richard

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
I thought talk was only a week or so ago that there was a Chinese consortium interested in buying it. Obviously that was either vicious rumour or simply fell through.

A shame to see another interesting marque disappear, but that seems the way of the world. No doubt there will be more favourites disappearing over the years to come.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
As I understand it, the Chinese are interested in funding SAAB. but General Motors refuses to sell its remaining rights in SAAB to anyone remotely connected to China.

Therefore, if my understanding is correct, the death of SAAB is entirely down to General Motors.

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
QUOTE (StuBeeDoo @ 21 Dec 2011, 14:26) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>...the death of SAAB is entirely down to General Motors.
Not the first marque they've killed off over the years.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I second the sympathy for the employees but hang on with the GM bashing. If you want to be like that responsibility surely sits with the incumbent SAAB directors at the time of the GM tie up and then takeover? By the time new SAAB's were sharing platforms and engines with the Chevrolet/Vauxhall/Holden Vectra the days of the 300000mile SAAB(100000 on the original brake pads) was already over and that's a long time ago now.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Saabs haven't really been Saabs for years.

We are all concerned about the growing power of China, or should be, so when a Corporation (forget the nationality) makes a stand it is overly simplistic to condemn them for it.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
I suspect the average employee of SAAB doesn't care whether it's owned by an American company or a Chinese company, they'd just like to keep their job so that they can feed their family.

I don't see how American ownership of SAAB is any better than Chinese ownership of SAAB, if a SAAB is anything like the GM cars assembled in Britain then a percentage of it is already made in China.

·
Peter Rondel
6,022 Posts
I owned a normal 900, a real nice 900 turbo and a 99. that were real saabs, everything with GM chassis isnt real anymore and the 9-3 and 9-5........ well, they were nice but not real like the old skool SAAB from the 70ies and 80ies. And yes its a pity a nice brand disappears but they we're not selling that much cars to make the swedish factory profitable enough. The real stealing of parts began by the way with the 2 liter engine the took from triumph, reversed placement in teh car to make the distribution belt unapproachable => first modification: belt became a chain..........that was good!!
Pity the stopped doing what they were doing, and pity GM controles the market that much. Being scared of china and their investment in what they would call: a trophy car.......... well I think its a bit silly to act out of some sort of jealousy and make the plant being shut down. as a dentist I would really miss that saab feeling oh well, got a Volvo S60 now...........swedish too, but Italian design

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
QUOTE Isn't the car division of Volvo owned by Ford?

Was, but now sold off to Zhejian Geely who are Chinese unsurprisingly.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
I work for a Chinese owned company, I don't have a problem with it, from an employees point of view it appears to be better managed than the British owned companies I've worked for, though not as good as the Japanese company I worked for before I came here.

·
WRP World Champ 2015/2016
4,284 Posts
Very sad - Saab had that quirkiness and boldness of design I admire - a little like Citroen in many respects.
There have been some lovely Saabs along the way, I was lucky to see a V4 rally jobby the other day in Margam Park.

Don't get too cross-threaded about who owns what - as one poster said, the workforce would be glad to keep their employment regardless of who owned the parent company.

Hope this doesn't turn into an MG style fiasco.

·
Peter Rondel
6,022 Posts
Volvo or is it Vhool Voh?

QUOTE (Coopdevil @ 21 Dec 2011, 16:03) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Was, but now sold off to Zhejian Geely who are Chinese unsurprisingly.

but the design was Italian! hahahaha, I knew that someone would mention that

·
Kitbasher
4,296 Posts
The real shame is that Saab have not made a car worthy of the name for years. The 99/900 were great but a rebodied Vectra is just that - what a way to go

Very sad but I would rather the brand dissapeared than continued to rumble on making poor cars.

·
Peter Rondel
6,022 Posts
they tried that, but they just can pay wages and buy parts to build their cars.......... is pretty simply, they cant pay, no one sells, SaaB closes and we're crying over a brandname that will live on in our memories. that business anno domini 2011

·
Jan Groosmuller
834 Posts
Hm, this is hard... trying to keep an open mind when the brand I love (and drive) is about to disappear.
There is a strong connection between the Dutch and Saab, not just because Victor Muller is Dutch.
We also have the oldest Saab Club in the world (established in 1959, still alive and kicking).
Personally my deepest respect for Mr. Muller, the amount of energy he has spent in trying to survive is incredible.
Reason why the latest deal fell through is that GM veto-ed any Chinese investments.

Still there is hope, even now Saab is in liquidation talks are going on with MAGNA (amongst others), a restart without GM-parts in the cars appears to be possible.

On a personal note: I vowed never to drive any GM-product ever again.
Luckily my Classic 900 Turbo is 100% GM-free

1 - 20 of 31 Posts