SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Tony
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sorry to say that Chas Keeling of SCD passed away yesterday. My thoughts and condolences go to his family and friends. I had know Chas since the 60's and he will be very much missed among the slot racing community. I spent many happy hours talking with Chas at meetings, he was a real gentleman and one of the nicest men you could wish to meet.

RIP Chas

Tony

·
John Roche
4,237 Posts
I rarely visit this forum these days as I'm not doing any slot racing at the moment and when I do I see this. I'm really sorry to hear about Chas. I'll always remember him as friendly and helpful, a really genuinely guy. RIP Chas.

John

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Sad news. Chas was a real gentleman, and someone had always made time for anyone new to the sport which was how so many of us met him.

I just posted this to the BSCRA Facebook group which is my vivid memory of the first time I met Chas.

QUOTE I remember the first time I met Chas - it was the first meeting I attended after starting slotracing, a Southern 32 meeting at Oaklands in the old Harry Mitchell. In the lunch interval, this white-haired avuncular figure with a very broad Northern accent suddenly produced a large Christmas tree decoration of Santa's sleigh with about four reindeer attached that was mounted on a old Womp chassis and proceeded to scream around the track (it was fast) the wrong way around with it as this was just after we'd reversed the polarity and the sleigh was still wired up backwards. He was laughing all the time while three other people were trying to practise. The fact that it must have been mid July when this happened just added to the hilarity of it. A good memory.

Coop

·
Kitbasher
4,377 Posts
Oh Damn! There are nice guys and there are nicer guys and Chas was the latter...

I will think of him this weekend when I use my SCD throttle in Bordo'

Peter

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Oh boy this is very sad news indeed , knew Chas for many years and what a gentleman always so helpful and a joy to chat to on the phone, I will miss him , condolences to his family R.I.P my friend.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
QUOTE (Pendleslot @ 2 Jun 2016, 22:24) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Owen - your picture of Chas was taken at the old Pendle Club room. Was it from the Pendle convention in 2006? If it was Chas still looked the same 10 years later!

Yes, although it's actually one of David Lawson's pics. Back at the Walken Fisher meeting. Ten years ago? Blimey.

Coop

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
RIP Chas.
A true enthusiast who backed slot racing with his excellent business even through the dark days of the late 70's and 80's.
No side or ego to this man, a real Gentleman who by any measure achieved great success in many areas of our hobby.
He will be missed.
My condolences to his Family.
Regards Bill.

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Such sad news and my condolences to his family.

I did indeed take that picture of Chas at the Walkden Fisher meeting, I spent about half an hour discussing his scratchbuilt Harvey Aluminum Special and the all metal ATS that are on the table in front of him in the photo.

As others have said he was a gentleman and such a significant person in our hobby for so many years.

David

·
Registered
513 Posts
As anyone who visited Chas's house will know, it was not exactly a 'shop', it resembled a disaster area. Chas alway's knew under what pile of papers and boxes the part you needed was residing. You just had to wait patiently as he answered 3 or 4 phone calls before you could try to pay him. I'm sure his room is full of forgotten gems. Let us hope they find good homes.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Chas was on of the great stalwarts of our sport, having been a participant right from the beginning.

He attended the very first ECRA National Finals at Watford in 1964 as a Concours entrant and finished second in the Sports car final in 1966 at Bradford. So he was both a great modeller and a great drive in his time.

He kept us supplied with bits in the after all the local model shops stopped stocking slot racing bits in the pre-internet era when the sport was in danger of disappearing.

He was always ready with advice.

I shall miss him.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
I never had any dealings with him but Chas was clearly highly thought of and has left a mark on the community and those who knew him. thoughts with his family.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts