SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 214 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts
A new track is under construction and this thread will follow this project. I will not be as fast as sig and I will not be as meticulous and patient as Brad. I hope to have the track minimally acceptable in 1.5 months (the scenery will not be fully complete but it will be serviceable). All comments and suggestions are welcome.

My experimentations with a Dakar Off Road track some time ago made me realized that I liked rally tracks having the off road spirit but passable by the regular rally cars. This lead naturally to consider a rally track with the theme of the East African Safari rally. Here is my previous build with this theme.

For this new project I want the cars to drive through the scenery, have a "topographic" track with invented driving elements and modular. This forces me to have to use materials other than plastic or wood for the track.

I also realized that I want a track with two lanes and not just one lane. I want the possibility to race with someone else and have two people enjoying the track simultaneously. Another key feature I want is to have the two lanes to have different elements in some parts of the track. This will make me have 2 different tracks to enjoy when I am racing alone (actually 4 by changing the direction). I also want a looong straight.

Here is a layout I design with Ninco pieces that I am using as pointer to my build which will not use Ninco pieces with the exception of the long straight.

The track lies on top of 3 tables: The left one is 7'x6', the center 5'x8', the right 8'x4'.

The middle and upper left side will be town, the center will be the Savannah, the right side will be the hill region with a small lake. The long straight is 4.8m long.

·
Lars Ole
1,640 Posts
Hi RallyP,
It looks like a terrific plan and I'll be looking forward for the details.

Are you gonna do any special sections in new and exotic materials ??

looking forward...

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
Nice layout - the long straight will balance the twisty bits.

Have you thought about joining the right hand side to the return curve via a switched section to vary the layout?

·
Stuart Wood
352 Posts
Wow - must be at least 4 times the size of my new rally track! It'll be good to see something different in progress - Please give us plenty of details on how you crete the scenics.

Are you using sport track (apart from the straight)? How about using a crossover to give you one long lane - you can swap it for a couple of Rad 2s for racing.

Good luck!

·
Brad Korando / Brad Korando
1,089 Posts
This is great, another track build to follow and enjoy. Your scenery goals and the track plan are terrific. Experimenting with different track materials should be interesting as well. Wood may still be an option though. Luff has had sucess by kerfing the backside of MDF to attain some very hilly and twisting effects. I'm looking forward to watching your new track come to life - have fun!

Brad

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts
It is good to know that my enthusiasm is also shared by you.

Perthor, I hope it will be a quick build but when I look at the size of the beast doubts pop up. One of the problems with a speedy conclusion, is that the more intense I get about the build, the closer my marital status is to divorced.

The idea suggested by Hunt and Gareth of having easy replaceable segments that would change dramatically the driving path is very good. I am always worried about any permanent character of the driving experience. The only element that is completely permanent is the hill section (right table 8'x4', more on this later). The rest will large segments that can be potentially replaced.

Brad and PSRRFH, about the materials. Well, some of the materials I will use came from your threads. My main innovation will be to use flexible flooring (akin to linoleum, I guess), I plan to use this through out the whole track. So far, I found no obstacle to its use. Here is a picture of the kind of smooth bumps one can very easily obtain with it

The other materials are joint compound which I intend to use with plastic strips for the slot to create some driving segments (not clear which ones yet). I also want to experiment with expandable foam but mostly for the scenery aspect. I am curious about the possibility of painting the running surface with a mixture of tile grout and glue.

Here is a picture of some of the materials (why the cork roll?)

Using wood to do what I want would require a skill I do not have and a mess I do not want.

Carl, sig and camber, thank you for the encouraging words.

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts
Not that exciting progress, but below there will be some photos of the process which might be fun.

After the sketch of the track designed with the URv.3 I needed to draw carefully the hill section.
Usually I do not design my layouts very carefully because I always do variations when I put down
the plastic track pieces but in this case everything is different. I had to build the supports of the
track and I need to make sure the curves are doable, the width of the road is sufficient and the
elevation changes are not drastic.

So here is the picture with top view (essential for assessing the width and doability of the layout)
and side view (essential for info on the elevation supports and doability):

Now

Piri

Plim

Plim....

This is the support on which the layout will lay on. The choice of materials was done due to weight
and easy to work considerations.

Now some pictures of the material and process of construction of the layout. I use as I say before
a flexible flooring I got from Home Depot (I am sure there is an equivalent material, like sheets
of linoleum, that is cheaper I am just to lazy to look for it, anyway this is cheaper than plastic track,
you get 13 meters of straight for 42$)

To have enough depth in the slot one needs a layer of something underneath the flooring I chose cork

Some of the layout already in place on the hill section

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts
Hi Polo Stu,

Thanks for the interest. About the paint, well it is still in the air. I have to do some experiments. One experiemnt I want to do is to a mix of glue and tile ground of different earth colors and use it as paint. I wonder if one gets a paint that would look like realistic terrain. If this does not work I will just paint the track with earth colors (and maybe sprinkle the wet paint with tile grout).

One thing I am liking on about this build is that the slot curvilinear path is very diverse, this means that the driving experience should be immensely rich.

Here are more pictures now with the layout glued to the foam board frame I showed in the previous pictures.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Your right about the elevations giving a very different driving experience. Even though mine are nowhere near as extreme, when I increased them slightly while building the track they completely changed it's character.
One my favourites is a medium left/right over a brow (just before the three hairpins) that if it was flat you could take without lifting off. With the brow though if you go too fast, you get a very realistic roll-over crash! However in the other direction, it's still nearly flat-out

I experimented with grout on my first test track and although it looked very realistic, the cars didn't run well on the corners. There was too much grip causing them to roll!

Getting the right appearance/texture is something I'm struggling with on my track at the moment. I've spent 3 days trying different colours and techniques to replicate the forest road surface and I'm still not happy with it. I've got one more idea to try tonight though...

Regards, Stu.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I tried the tile grout on one corner again last night and tested it this morning. It looks fantastic but there's just too much grip!

I tried sanding it down but even when leaving the loose sandy remnants, cars grip like there's a magnet attached

I have a standard test: If my Fly BMW M3 will drive round without the back-end trying to overtake the front, then the track is wrong for a gravel road

The only things I can think of doing is either just using paint to achieve the appearance of texture (I apply the paint in several different coloured layers by "dabbing" it on with a sponge), or coating the grout with something clear to smooth out the surface but keeping the appearance of gravel.
I don't know what I could use though, a matt varnish might work if applied thickly enough but I think that even this will provide too much grip?

I'll get some pics up in my Coed y Felin thread tonight.

Stu.

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts
Thank you, Pendelman, I have thought about using those sprays but every time I used sprays for the scenery it has not worked well. In particular, you need a lot of it.

This is what I think about this project: IT WILL NEVER GOING TO END!!!

So I decided to put some magical tape on the little layout already done and went and fetched one of the treasure boxes

I could not believe that I have not driven a slot car in 5 months!!!!
and I made a video of the tryout.

·
Lars Ole
1,640 Posts
Hey it's looking great RallyP
Recently that Motul BMW M1 has been knocking on my door.

How is the grip on this first part of the track ?

cheers

1 - 20 of 214 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.