SlotForum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Greg Gaub
15,696 Posts
If you have no interest in digital, I wouldn't suggest getting the new 6 car base just to hook it up for pace car use. You can do just as well with a rubber banded throttle, or making up a variable resistor to plug in. For that matter, a Slot.it SCP1 would work, as it has a "pace" car function.
I've heard the challenger is pretty good, though I've not used it. For analog systems, it seems the way to go, IF you can find one at a reasonable price that's still working.

In any case, a human driver will always be better than a similarly configured car driven by a chip, at least for the next.... 20 years. You have better reaction time, not to mention eyes to let you see the course and plan your speeds accordingly, and more specifically, where your car is at on the course at any given time, especially relative to the next turn.

As such, the only way for a non-human controlled car, whether it's fixed speed or fancy programming, to be any kind of challenge to the human driver, it MUST be a "better" car. It must have better traction and better speed, and better handling. If it has to go so slow in the turns that you catch it up in the straight too quickly, then it's just traffic. The easiest way is for the pace car to have a magnet, and your car to not have one. If that's not enough, give the pacer better tires, or true the tires on that car. If that's still not enough, give it a faster motor, or more magnets, or both. If that's still not enough, then you need to drive a slower car with worse traction. You need to be required to push hard and drive clean in order to beat the car. It doesn't matter if you're driving a bad car, it will still make you a better driver of any car.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts