Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who else thinks it wasn't worth getting up to watch this race?

Highlights:

- The 2 minutes at the beginning of the race when I thought that Button had defied physics and was quicker than Schumacher.

- The 2 mins at the end when Raikkonen got into the points by default.

Disappointments:

- Button not winning.

- Schumachers appauling tactics of driving Montoya off the road at the start going unpunished. (Anyone who saw the driver cam could see that MS used his trademark jink-to-the-right to try and push JPM into the wall.

- Barichello not even trying to overtake anyone.

- Alonso resorting to punting Schumacher Jnr off to get past him.

- That I went up to have a shower and missed the post-race interviews... d'oh!

Realistically, I can't expect anyone to beat MS in a race before the summer break (if at all this year) because his car doesn't brake, he isn't pushed enough to make a mistake and that he has the best car out there. Unfortunatly, I don't think it's fair to come up with anti-Ferrari rules, so I guess I will have to be dissapointed this year... Such a shame aswell, I blame Button giving us false hope...

Oh well, rallying anyone?

Lotus

PS. Did anyone see who won the last two races of the BTCC at Brands? I missed the second (GP clash) and forgot to switch back to watch the last one. There's another disappointment, Plato getting punted out of the first race and ruining his weekend...

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Yep, got to admit that F1 is becoming a bit of a turn off. The circus is in serious trouble.

Is this going to start hitting sales of F1 slot cars I wonder?

Funny thing is I have yet to visit a club where they have raced F1 cars.

The big issue is what do you replace F1 with as a spectacle on a global scale?

Maybe this is where MotoGP fits in nicely now that the BBC have the coverage and more motor sport TV couch potatoes will watch that instead. However, there is a big gap between 2 wheel and 4 wheel motor sport enthusiasts and whilst I run 2 wheeled transport, I do prefer 4 wheeled motorsport as a spectacle.

Its a hard bridge to cross.

Moped

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
We run non mag F1 as a club class. I`ve just about had it with racing mag F1 because the cars get destroyed. The latest Scalextric F 1 cars are a disaster in terms of the design of the front end. Even running with lower power, one big off and It`s all over. The wish bones are not available as a spare although, very kindly Hornby sent some out to one of our club members recently

·
Registered
979 Posts
The race on Sunday was a bit of a disappointment - nobody after the first couple of laps actually over took another car on the track (not the pit lane!), I know that Imola is a circuit that is difficult to overtake at, but come on!

All I can say is that Dave Richards from BAR was making some big hints about the next race in Spain, and it is the circuit that the BAR smashed the track record in testing, so maybe just maybe MS and Ferrari could be in for a fight!

Oh, by the way I am a Ferrari fan, but would still like to see a struggle for the championship.

Also, I think the next round of the BTCC is being covered by ITV on Speed Sunday next week, but then again if it wasn't for SEAT, the BTCC could turn into F1 with Ferrari being replaced by Vauxhall!!!

Cheers

Mark

·
Registered
89 Posts
No matter where I read, wether it is on track or off track, no one seems to like MS. Is there anyone out there who likes MS? Maybe his Mother?

·
Jim Moyes
4,997 Posts
QUOTE (VOA @ 26 Apr 2004, 11:50) Is there anyone out there who likes MS? Maybe his Mother?
She's strangely quiet on the matter!

Sorry!

I'll obtain my outer protective garment!

Mr.M

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts
I think MS is brilliant - and have done so since seeing him blast a Sauber Merc Group C car through the night at Le Mans in 1993.

Given his success he has the capacity to be a right arse, but actually seems to be less of a prima donna than many who have a fraction of his talent.

Scott

·
Simon Moss (Undisputed #1 Racer Fan)
553 Posts
The ONLY way in my view to improve F1, is to eliminate pit stops. I would of liked to have seen Schuey trying to pass Jensen, rather than use the open track and a faster pit stop to pass. Totally boring !

M

·
Alan Tadd
4,029 Posts
Agree with M.

No pit stops plus No Driver Aids, no two way telemetry, Manual gearchanges, weight penalty for winners (as per BTCC), no wings ( must bring slipstreaming back into play).

Hey were back to the 50's!......bring back Vanwall.

Regards

Alan

·
Registered
86 Posts
Here in Italy MS is highly respected but not loved.
Many people hate he refuse to speak italian during TV interviews - many foreign drivers do speak italian: Barrichello, Montoya, Villeneuve, Berger, etc.; Senna, too, did speak italian - and take if as an arrogant manner.
My personal opinios on this matter is he is so perfectionist he cannot accept to use a language he doesn't know perfectly, anyway I don't care how he speaks, I do care he takes Ferrari to victory!

I remember where Ferrari was before Schumacher...

I'd say the big difference, why MS is such a great driver, is he have the gift to help the team to make a competitive car, as you can say for Valentino Rossi (where Yamaha was last year?).

I agree modern F1 races are boring, but because it is almost impossible to overtake with modern cars, not because Ferrari is so strong; I mean: many seasons in the nineties were boring, too: for many years we had McLaren or Williams supremacy but nobody asked to change rules, 1993 season was boring for everybody on the planet but Mansell mother...

Ciao
Otello

P.S. We race magnetless F1 at our club, the fastest were Ninco Jordan and Ferrari; then we made the mistake to admit CART cars, too, and now we have a Ninco Lola CART mono-class.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I don't think F1 races are very exciting anymore, but it's been like this for some time now. I agree with Otello, several seasons in the nineties were boring.

QUOTE The big issue is what do you replace F1 with as a spectacle on a global scale?
Rally of course! Certainly it's getting a lot of coverage here in Norway. I wonder why...

We run standard Scalextric F1 cars, with magnet, at the club. Usually the cars stay clear of damage, perhaps this is because we race crash and burn?
There have been races where several cars have lost parts, but this is just as common in other classes...

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
QUOTE (BEEJAY7 @ 26 Apr 2004, 14:24)Agree with M.

No pit stops plus No Driver Aids, no two way telemetry, Manual gearchanges, weight penalty for winners (as per BTCC), no wings ( must bring slipstreaming back into play).

Regards

Alan
Actually Beejay slipstreaming still does occur - the F1 car punches a dirty great hole in the air
, except that you won't have much downforce if you try and stay directly behind in a faster corner

Now then, should we go for a gated box or use a sequential for the manual gearchange?

Mark.

·
Jan Groosmuller
834 Posts
QUOTE (Difflock @ 26 Apr 2004, 21:15)QUOTE (BEEJAY7 @ 26 Apr 2004, 14:24) Agree with M.

Regards

Alan
Actually Beejay slipstreaming still does occur - the F1 car punches a dirty great hole in the air
, except that you won't have much downforce if you try and stay directly behind in a faster corner

Now then, should we go for a gated box or use a sequential for the manual gearchange?

Mark.
how about no refueling? sends the constructors right back to the drawing-board...

and no pit stops unless to repair visible damages?
also tyres (or tires...
) to last qualifying AND the whole race...

hopefully those measures (drastic, I know...) affect reliability of the cars and ability of drivers to keep the car in one piece... also narrows the gap between the top teams and the lesser gods

BTW, I fully agree on the weight penalty thing...

·
Rob
3,430 Posts
If I understand correctly, loss of downforce when following another car (dirty air) is a major issue. The reduction in the number of planes on the rear wing for this season was done to try to force the constructors to seek to balance the downforce across the car, rather than just on front and rear wings. There has even been talk of a 'one size fits all' standard rear wing being introduced, which would lead to a considerable reduction in overall downforce. I think that was vetoed, but it could be worth a rethink.
I think the whole 'aero' thing has gone too far. The cars only work properly in clear air, and the car's performance can be greatly affected by relatively minor damage. The drivers often won't risk banging wheels with someone in case some delicate aero parts are damaged, compromising their whole race! Seems mad to me, and I'm an F1 fan.
Track design is also an issue. In the wake of the tragic deaths of Senna and Ratzenburger a lot of tracks were redesigned with safety in mind. Out went wide sweeping high speed corners and in came narrow chicanes. On so many of todays tracks there are maybe one or two overtaking opportunities, as most of the corners have only one fast line through them. Surely safe doesn't have to mean boring?
Finally, what about limiting teams to a certain number of pitstops per season. OK, so they could run optimum strategy at some venues, but would be compromised at others. Limit to apply to the top six teams only?

Rob

PS Agree with weight penalties too.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I do not know about you guys - but what really made me frustrated while watching ITVs F1 was that after the initial couple of laps - the TV production team seems to have been focused upon Baricello most of the race. It was ether Baricello in the middle of the scene or Baricello behind someone or Baricello in front of some one. It would have been ok to look at Baricello now and then - but in the meantime they missed some fantastic driving from other drivers. I think it was an outrageusly bad TV coverage. All of the fastest laps by MS were ignored, some really nice driving by Button was missed etc etc etc...

//peter

1 - 19 of 19 Posts