SlotForum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started working on a new track a few weeks ago. I would like the new track to include.

1. More table area, current track is on an 8x4ft table so new one should be atleast 75% bigger.
2. I can spread things out a little more and have the road surface be wider in places.
3. Include some manual switches (like my first track 4yrs ago) to allow for more than one track to drive.
4. Have less detailed scenery than the current table is bigger and money is tighter, so look for cheaper alternatives to the smaller track.
5. Transfer current houses, timing/electricals, trees to the new track.
6. Have table take up less space in the garage even thou it will be a bigger table.
7. Have more elevations, than the current rally track, more like the old San Phoeno Raceway.
8. Design to have some longer faster flowing sections to break up some of the up and down of the current design.

Frame is made from 65mm x 10mm pine and track surface is 2 sheets of 3mm mdf. It was free, but has worked out pretty well. See point 7 above.

Once the frame was built, I started at one end and worked towards the other, doing the elevations as I went.

Basically the hills will be around the outsides of the table with the village of San Phoeno in the valley on the flat bit.

Left End.

From the right end.

From the left end.

Underneath. I did the ribs in a different direction on the right hand end as the road runs North-South it comes back down from the top.

Had an extra 30 minutes this afternoon so got some of the routing started.

Am using the trusty hose for the tight bits and the black strip for the more following bits.

Will get the routing finished and the road surface painted next week. hoped to have it taped and powered up over Easter, all going well.

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts
It is beautiful. Will the track have any magnet pull?
I have a fascination for elevations but always had trouble with them if there are humps. I do elevations but with no humps basically like an inclined plane you go up and down on the same inclined plane. No jumps.

If a track has humps when trying to get the best times I always have the cars airborne, sometimes that land on the slot but sometimes they do not (this russian roullete feeling annoys me and is sometimes destructive to the car). You are setting up a permanent track so this is a bit different eventually you will know the right speeds to go by hart (by hand) and the humps will give always some excitement (non permanent tracks get the excitement from changing the layout every 1-2 months).

Looking forward to seeing the evolution of this track.

·
Brad Korando / Brad Korando
1,089 Posts
The new track looks great. I really like the elevation changes and the switchbacks at the one end. Is this to be a single lane track? It looks as if you may have enough room for two closely spaced lanes that widen along the straights to permit passing. Nice work!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hi guys,

It will be just a single laner as we live no where near anyone and I only have a dozen or so rally cars.

I love the look of the switchbacks on the right as well, they came out better than I expected.

No magnetic forces here RallyP.

As for deslots at the crest ofa hill, i think of it as understeering in a real car, I like my tracks to make you think and not be out andout speed fests !

·
Ian
99 Posts
It's looking great, actually not too different from my own track, with the lower flat section surrounded by a raised area, though I opted for plastic rather than routed this time. I think the dip in the back section will be special its a really nice touch. It will be interesting to see how it flows. Learning what the limitations are will be fun, though collecting deslots from the back area I've found to be a pain initially, but we learn very quickly

The whole thing give you lots of scope for fantastic scenery I'm sure it will look great.

Thanks for sharing I look forward to seeing it develop

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Had a bit of time today and last monday to do some work.

All routing done, painting done. Colour is a special Phoeno mix of cream with matt black in an old scx box lid until I was happy with it.

Today I put the legs on.

They swing flush with the base of the track when not in use and swing out and are attached to each other with a couple of 1.75m lengths of 35x70 pine. Held on with 1/4 bolts and wingnuts.

I also have 2 small lengths of left over pine, that swing from the frame to the legs and are held in place by a single screw into the 9ply legs.

Takes about 5 mins to put up or down and can be done by 1 person.

On top of the table, the cars are laid out to show how they pass through the switches. There are three tracks in each direction so six in total.

Track won't fit into 1 or 2 frames so sorry for the three parts.

Next week I hope to get the wiring off the old track and onto the new one for a few laps.

Now that the track is up and stable and the big tools have been put away, I can get on with the smaller details. I am liking this track a lot. It has the table size and the elevations of the raceway, the variety of the autocross track and the fun and driving challenge of the current rally track, so all of the best factors of each of my previous tracks.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Looking good M. You haven't laid any grass yet and I notice the weed killer (Zero) ready for action.

How will the LC's work. Are you running forward and reverse?

Hope to catch up in a few weeks.

FS

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.