Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Phil Smith
4,534 Posts
I'll have a table there, planning on doing some good prices to clear some stuff off the shelfs.
There are usually at least 5 or 6 slot car tables at Sandown, so it's worth a visit, and in my opinion it is the best general toy fair in the UK.

·
Phil Smith
4,534 Posts
There isn't usually much in the way of spares there.
The tables are very expensive at Sandown so space is always at a premium.

But then you never know wat will be there until you arrive

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts
I'll be going. Hope to be there from about 11.00.

PM me for my mobile number so we can meet up and have a cup of very expenisve tea (or a beer).

Even if you don't want to buy half (or 90 percent!) of the stuff on offer it is worth taking a good few hours to have walk round and see all that is on offer.

·
Jim Moyes
4,999 Posts
QUOTE (Ecurie Ecosse @ 30 Jul 2004, 11:09)PM me for my mobile number so we can meet up and have a cup of very expenisve tea (or a beer).

This slot racing turning you to drink!!??

Hoping to be there too, work permitting (or lack of it to be precise)! I've been once before and did enjoy it. Strikes me as a bit dear to get in at a fiver but then I did find the rare Ninco Limited Edition Dani Sola Saxo which made me give up collecting Ninco when it was released! Also bought some bargain SCX DTMs from Mark Scale. Just shows how well regarded it is if he comes all the way down from "oop North" to have a table (or 2). Hoping to see some competitively priced Cartrix Mercs and cheap Hornby F1 cars.

fouldsc, you race with Slik & Jamie don't you? They going too?

Mr.M

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mr Material UK & Ecurie Ecosse - I just PM'd you both my mobile number so we
can meet for a beer.

Mr Material UK : Yeah i've raced with Slik and Jamie a few times but not in a good
2-3 months , they race fridays which is a bad day for me so one thing led to another and kinda not seen or raced each other for a while now - though they both top blokes (and slik's circuit is well nice for a home track) and you be good if they turn up - so if you reading this , come along guys !

Chris
(fouldsc)

·
Jim Moyes
4,999 Posts
QUOTE (Mr Material UK @ 30 Jul 2004, 11:35)Strikes me as a bit dear to get in at a fiver
Hah! The power of Slotforum! Entrance fee was down a wopping 50p to £4.50.

Sorry I missed you fouldsc, work meant I didn't get there till gone 1.30pm. Made up the admission fee with some good bargains; Latest Fly Daytona squashie thing for £25, MRRC Rodenstock Silly car for a score and Hornby Toyota F1 for £15. Beat up box but its only for racing! No Cartrix Mercs about but some of the latest Carrera releases were around - Aston DB5 & Mustang conv. etc.

Seeing as there are so many knowledgable people ( anoraks
) out there, does anybody know where Subbuteo gets its name? Scott(EE) saw a really early version with cardboard men!

Mr.M

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry didn't catch you either.
I had to zoom just after 2pm to collect the misses , realised the time way to
late and had to dash and just managed to phone up "Ecurie Ecosse" before
leaving in a cloud of dust.

I managed to pick up a MP4-18 and Mclaren SLR diecast models , along with
a few slot.it spares from a stand just outside the main hall in a seperate
little bit - that was a good stand actually , shame they were shoved out there !.

I got talking to stall holder (diecast) who told me they were doing a really
bad trade. Apparantly there was 100-200 more stands than usual and they
were taking some , but not alot of money.

I shockingly didn't buy any slot cars , but I just won today the Getslotted competition (woo hoo!) of the Dallara Car and Pit crew , so just had to buy another Dallara to keep up my "Noah's ark collection" as Scott called it

Chris

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Subbuteo was on QI t'other night! Apparently the makers wanted to call it 'Hobby'- it was meant to be THE hobby for everyone, but it couldn't be copyrighted. So they used the latin name for the genus of hawk known as a 'Hobby'. It is a subspecies of 'Buteo buteo', therefore known in zoological circles as 'Sub-buteo'.
Sorry you asked now, aren't you? Meanwhile David Attenborough is currently answering questions on the Indycar thread.... Horses, bears, dogs and coyotes- anything else yuo want to know?

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
QUOTE (howmet tx @ 2 Aug 2004, 15:09)anything else yuo want to know?
OK Mr Memory Man, what are the 39 steps?

David

·
Registered
549 Posts
When Peter Adolph was ready to patent his game, he went to the British patents office with the idea of calling it 'The Hobby'. Of course, they said no way to that name, because everyone has a hobby and he could scarcely lay claim to an
exclusive title. So he went away and dreamed up a new name. Mr Adolph was a keen ornithologist, and his favourite bird just happened to be the English Hobby Falcon. The Latin name for this bird was Falco Subbuteo -- so Mr Adolph chose the name Subbuteo for his game. And the falcon has been on all Subbuteo products ever since, and most national federations at some time or other had the falcon head on their crest.

Aaron

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts
Well bugger me!

Thanks for that guys.

Now, can anyone please explain why the speed of light is absolute?

·
Registered
317 Posts
QUOTE OK Mr Memory Man, what are the 39 steps?

The 39 Steps is an organization of spies collecting information on behalf of the foreign office of... [Interupted by gunshot - shot dead]

·
Alan Tadd
4,029 Posts
QUOTE OK Mr Memory Man, what are the 39 steps?

That's easy! It's JP's tutorial on resin casting.

Regards

Alan

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
OK- The meaning of life?
I've learnt pretty well everything else I need to know on this forum!
(and no smart arse Hitchhikers guide/Monty Python replies)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts