SlotForum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
redstar
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here is 1 of my favorite slot car companies.the cars are 1/32 scale.there is a lotus 11,studebaker,xke,& a mercedes silver arrow.the drivers stick out of the cars absurdly far.the chassis is very crudely designed.the pickups,the gears,& the pin guides are very primitive.they use a 3 1/2 volt motor. still
the cars have a charm of their own.they are very unique.sanwa also made other 1/32 ,& ho slot cars which i have in my museum,but they are not as strange as these.

·
redstar
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i have never operated this set.the tires are hard & totally loose on the wheels.i think the cars would not be too fast if i ran them.i may see if i can find some tires that would fit them (if i dont damage the original tires while taking them off) & see how the set works. anyone have any extra sealed sanwa tires ?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Hi Bernard,

These cars have a charm all of their own. Thanks for posting the pictures.
I am always fascinated by these "gear trains." Marklin had something like this in their cars. It would be great to see them run.

all my very best,

Charles

·
Registered
942 Posts
Fantastic collection Bernard, congratulations.

Personally I think the surprising case of Sanwa slot cars, should this cause a review of all those writings that talk about the beginnings of mass production slot.

Anyone have any idea what year are we talking about with these Japanese cars?

The Studebacker few years later is marketed as Tokyo Plamo with 12V motors.

Bernard, have you had the opportunity to compare the remaining slot cars with bodywork Bergman brand? . Can you say if the same or copies?

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Primitive but fascinating, Bernard.
You probably don't need extra motors, but I do have several rather like those, Japanese KKK and the slightly smaller Hong Kong HK52.
I built a slot-car around an HK52 a long time ago and ran it on 12V. I forget the gear ratio but it didn't have to rev highly. It wasn't quick but ran OK on a short home track.
Rob J

·
Administrator
9,910 Posts
Just as a guess, I would bet there were more of these little motors made than anything else in the toy field! They powered a few early slot cars, but they were also on untold numbers of motorized toys of all types! They're basically 3V motors so should run pretty good on 12V - at least for a little while.

I think they were about 99 cents at the time, maybe 79, so that was cheap even at the time!

Don

1 - 14 of 14 Posts