SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This could be an interesting discussion.

Noting that our new friend took his £15 Scaley car back and decided to exchange it for a £27 Scaley car which is going to be the more satisfying purchase relative to the money paid?

Is a £50 purchase more satisfying than a £27 purchase?

One aspect of satisfaction of course is that you buy a car at a discount and the level of satisfaction then rises.

But forget this aspect of the emotional experiance.

Purchasing a slot car is an emotional experiance beyond anything else and our emotions drive our purchasing requirements.

Some folk like the limited editions because the fact that they have something that only a very few have gives satisfaction, even though the car may never see the track.

Others are driven by the emotion of winning and get satisfaction from purchasing cars that they know will help them along this road.

And then there are those who are driven by the scale and detail of the model and get satisfaction from being able to own something in miniture that looks good and can be operated on a slot car track but not necessarily raced.

Now folk put different values on all these aspects of the hobby.

So what are your values and do you feel the industry has just about got it right, or are there values that you have that are not accomodated by the industry at large?

Moped

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
A bit of an off the wall thread, but not bonkers...

when I was a kid, used to love dinky corgi and matchbox cars, and build airfix kits. Even then it would drive me up the wall when they got details wrong, that the scales even within one make were inconsistent and so on.

The scalextric cars of the time (early eighties) were appalling to my eyes - I felt (possibly unfairly) that I could do better out of lego!

I think echoes of these frustrations is what impressed me when I saw todays generation of slot car models in the form of scalextric GT40. And I have continued to be impressed, with Fly and Revell and in fact everyone's offerings. Well researched, well executed models, to scale (vanquish cough cough). This is what I find valuable about the slot cars of today - and you can race them and tweak them and talk about them too! how good is that?

·
Alan Tadd
4,035 Posts
Interesting question Mope.

I prefer cars I make myself, as I find it more satisfying. Hence I buy more resin shells, kits and parts, rather than complete cars.

If I buy new cars they are usually models of older types of car and mainly by smaller manufacturers, which I suppose means they are predominately limited editions. Mine certainly don't sit on a shelf.

I do buy RTR's by Revell Monogram and Slot.it , because they are well made and cover types of car I'm interested in, but I'm happy to buy from any Maufacturer, provided they make the cars I want.

I suppose it's human nature, but I always prefer to get a car at some sort of discount, I guess that's part of Ebay's attraction, although I think that is pretty false as you can usually get a better deal from retailers who contribute to this Forum.

I don't think the Industry has ever been in better shape and is producing cars to cover all tastes and interests, and long may it continue.

Regards

Alan

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I`m with Beejay. I wanted modern pit lane figures and mechanics/personalities and gave up waiting for the manufacturers to make them. I designed and produced my own and I enjoy seeing them dotted around or in pics posted by various SF members.

My collection is over 900 cars now but I treasure the cars I first had that Christmas which started it all off and the ones bought with well earned pocket money.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
My satisfaction comes from making a good car better.

If it starts as a bad car, then I am wasting my time when I could buy something better.

Equally, if all I have to do is remove it from the box then I don't get any satisfaction.

However, more than a good sense of satisfaction I enjoy winning. I can't understand why some people don't seem to. If I was bad at something and I knew I was never going to get good enough to win, then I would give up. Some people see this as quitting, but what's the point of doing something if you aren't ever going to be the best? I see room for improvement in my driving style and my car preparation and the most satisfaction I get is derived from gaining this improvement.

So in a round about way, I like a challen ge when it comes to slot cars... It's always good to beat someone with a supposedly inferior car...

McLaren

PS. Dunno what that was all about, but I don't want to delete it... I think I answered the question... somehow...

·
Registered
316 Posts
I first started buying slots as kid, just maybe 1 or 2 a year, and had about 10 - Metros, 70's F1's, couple of scaley Porches, a pickup truck that flips off the track when u tail end it (wouldnt that be great on digital!!!).

I moved away from slots for a few years - then back about 6 years ago. I was in Brussels ans went to a motor Museum, and saw one of he first Fly Vipers, wow I was amazed. I picked up a Panoz too (amazingly enough - I found both of them still boxed in the loft the other day... he he he - cant wait to get a track set up..)
I was stunned at how much detail went into the cars having not seen or thought about them for 10 plus years.

Since 2001 - Ive bought about 50 cars, purely for club racing, various types - and about the same cash value in wheels tyres, axles, tools and bits. To pick up on Mclarens point - Club racing - great thrill and winning is where its at, but taking part is awesome too, I'm not really bothered about winning, its good to win, but as long as Im competative. Im happy. My car has to be perfectly set up tho, or I really do myself in... not point trying if the tools (car) aint up to the job and ultimatly thats my fault anyway.

Now Im not club racing, Im buying cars the way I used to - on day trips, Holidays, as memento's of where I go. Not paricularily cars that suit the place I go, but just things I see. Im planning my track, and want a few cars to race/cruise around it. Differnt classes of cars etc. I dont own any Classics, and plan to expand into that area. As for "Sport" Versions or collectors cars, Ill buy them, what ever takes my fancy. For what ever reason, I'd rather by the Sport version of Scaley cars, as Im not really fussed about about selling them on, and even though, the non Sport version is probably just as good - what's £5... (alot of money??) Its money I have to spend - however - if there was a car a took a fancy too and there wasnt a Sport version availible - I'd have it.

Im not to bothered about discount either - I have a view, that a product has a price ticket on it, thats the price, if I cant afford it, I cant have it - wait till next pay day.. However, I beleive in fairness, I'll never ask for discount. If its offerd, like whem I go to Pendle, Ill never turn it down, and I return again with more business for them.

I wouldnt say I get emotional about my slots, I'd say more.... sentimental.

The industry, well, theres plenty of choice, thats for sure, theres enough for everybody to choose there own, to suit what they want. I'm happy the industry is moving along and developing. I see slot technology developing and including junior sets, and cars/models aimed at the older generation, ie collecting etc. I cant see juniors paying 85£ - £250 with there pocket money, but hey, some may.

Nice thread - thanks for the moment
CoolS

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
QUOTE I prefer cars I make myself, as I find it more satisfying. Hence I buy more resin shells, kits and parts, rather than complete cars.

I completely agree with Beejay on this. I remember buying slot cars in the 60's with newspaper route money and then modding them as best I could. In those days I had no idea how to make a chassis, new nothing about gearing etc...not that much has changed
I just like the darn things, always have. I don't need to race them, or win with them...I like to make them and just "play" with them. I can cruise around a track imagining a long gone Mille Miglia for hours. Oddly my wife seems to understand.

QUOTE I do buy RTR's by Revell Monogram and Slot.it , because they are well made and cover types of car I'm interested in

Along the same line, and at the risk of derailing this thread...has anyone seen any useful info about the upcoming MRRC Cheetah? I am dying to get one, and searching for info has come up dry for months.

cheers,
John

·
Registered
300 Posts
QUOTE (astro @ 13 Oct 2004, 21:59)I felt (possibly unfairly) that I could do better out of lego!

now there is a thought - a lego slotcar .........

·
Premium Member
5,559 Posts
What made me chuckle with the post Moped is referring to was the thought that moving from that laughable Tonka toy of a TT to the barge that is a Torino was considered an 'upgrade'. I typed it out and nearly clicked it up but saw the guy was a newbie and didn't want to rain on his parade.

That post was the third time I've heard of motor trouble with the new cheap 'n' cheerful cars. Hardly a statistical relevance but perhaps Margate have given the poor little can too much to fight against with that wicked nail pulling magnet?

And back on thread…In giving the mature market quality detail and some noble historic cars to play with the manufacturers are hitting the right buttons more often than not. Shame some aren't accommodating those of us who want cars to run sans mugnut.

All of the people, all of the time… can't be done.

·
John Roche
4,203 Posts
My most satisfying cars are my scratchbuilds too.

It's nothing to do with the money they cost but the time invested in them not just building but the planning, research and dreaming.

I spend far too much time at work so my leisure time is precious.

John

·
Registered
317 Posts
For me, the satisfaction comes from collecting. Its a real Zen experience! The anticipation of models being released - the purchasing and then displaying - the hiding of receipts from my wife - I do play with my toy cars too, but some more carefully than others. Thats how sad I really am.

·
Mark R-E
2,471 Posts
Emotional experience?

GET OUT MORE!! They are only plastic toys at the end of the day!

No wonder the hobby has an anorak image

Doesn't apply to the scratchbuilt stuff where people have created something.

Now time to recloak and get back in the DeLoran...

·
Mark R-E
2,471 Posts
forgot to add a very COOL man once said " Racing is life everything else is just waiting".

I would have to agreed with Andy (McLaren) on the competition point but not the not good at it give up attitude. A few years ago Andy you had your nappies (dypers for the US) changed for you and after a few years you learned control...

·
Registered
571 Posts
Goldfish's comment hit home with me. I love planning the year ahead and what I am going to buy. Funnily I reakon I enjoy this waiting and planning process more than actually using the car? Is this wrong? The real buzz kicks in when I know the car has been released and is on its way to my door!

Oh, yes and hiding the reciepts from my wife! I get quite a rush from that too!

JS

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Goldfish has hit home with me too!

Maybe its about time those with collector type tendencies owned up!

So we are seen as anoraks. So what!

Is that the reason that Slotforum lurkers don't sign up? (lurkers =
)

Because they fear being perceived as an anorak?

It could well be that every member of the NSSC is perceived as one!!!

It is simply satisfying to have a collection in an area that you have an interest in. Not every car gets raced but there are a proportion that do.

Maybe this is a boy thing and it used to be stamps or coins because we could not afford a slot car collection as a lad. But now that we are grown up we can and we are going for it!

Amazingly there are some massive die-cast forums out their and even more amazingly they find so much to discuss. I basically cannot see it myself but clearly when you go to any toy fair it is 75% diecast and the rest fantasy figures, model trains with 2% being slot cars! If there is satisfaction from collecting die-cast then it has passed me by.

Moped

·
Registered
317 Posts
I have to say that I am an 'Anorak', however, I couldn't care less.

As for the 'emotional experience' line, I think there is alot of truth in it. Of course there is an emotional element. We wouldn't do it otherwise! It just seems that the comment has been taken out of context.

Whatever people choose to do with their slot cars is down to them and everyone should be encouraged - we all play a part in keeping the hobby alive. No one type of slot car hobbyist should be regarded any higher than the next.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I'll buy a car that I like the look of rather than its outright performance on a track. Being a home only racer (no clubs within 100 miles!) I'm not too concerned about performance, I just want to drive the cars that I've seen racing on TV and in the liveries that are most prominent in my mind (Oreca Viper, Venture thingy GTOne, Yellow Corvette C5R etc..)

All will get used by me and the lesser ones in my collection will be at the mercy of the wife and baby daughter (you should see one of my Scalex Imprezas!)

I'm quite used to being told I play with toy cars as I race RC cars and am forever explaining that these cars are racing cars, not toys!

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Anoraks or not I`d rather be involved with a cracking hobby and get to know you guys than be a trendy sheep stood on the side lines with no interests but an opinion on everything. I`ve got a nice collection of anoraks nowadays and I may need all of them to get through this next Winter

1 - 20 of 46 Posts