SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
After today's announcement of a brand new plastic track system from ScaleAuto I thought I'd put together a track libraray for Ultimate Racer.

SA-001.scc.jpg

The range of corners that are planned will make the track a class leader, with six, yes six different radii. The width of the track is 20cm, just a couple of mm wider than Carrera, and the lane width will be 10cm allowing 1/24 as well as 1/32 scale cars to be used. There is also an adapter piece allowing the track to connect to Carrera track.

The only potential downsides I can see are that there is no short straight, and the borders aren't very wide.

Anyway, if you want to have a play in UR, the library is below. You'll need to put the library file and the logo into the Library folder of UR - C:/Program Files/Racer30/Library

ScaleAuto.png

View attachment ScaleAuto.txt

Attachments

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
Nice one Jason ............ :thumbsup:

·
Bob Chapman
6,918 Posts
I like this Jason, i wonder why they didnt do the no longer available 3 lane as an entry to the track market.
Bob

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think there might be a couple of commercial reasons for that Bob.

Firstly, they obviously want to connect to Carrera track, and probably hope to take some sales from Carrera users who want R1 or R6 corners.

Secondly, they probably considered that the size of a 3 lane 1/24 scale track might put off many home users.

I think they've been brave in entering the market, and will need every sale they can get to make it a commercial success.

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
It makes you wonder if club type circuits could be built more cheaply and simply than going to the effort of creating them in wood .......... hmmmmmm?

·
Registered
441 Posts
Only having 2 lengths of straight is going to severely limit creativity.

Am unsure what market this is aimed at as it seems way too big for a home circuit unless one lives in a palace.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It makes you wonder if club type circuits could be built more cheaply and simply than going to the effort of creating them in wood .......... hmmmmmm?
More simply? Yes it looks like it.

Less expensively? I doubt it very much. I'm guessing this won't be a bargain basement product, but we'll have to wait and see..

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Only having 2 lengths of straight is going to severely limit creativity.

Am unsure what market this is aimed at as it seems way too big for a home circuit unless one lives in a palace.
Which market(s) this track is aimed at is an interesting question.

I guess the obvious and primary market is 1/24 scale, bearing in mind the track dimensions, the Carrera adapter piece, and the fact that ScaleAuto make quite a few cars in that scale.

A second market is probably as a Ninco rival. Spain is their home market, and Ninco seem less committed to slot cars these days. In fact I'm surprised ScaleAuto aren't making a Ninco adapter piece, as there are a lot of individuals and clubs that use Ninco track, and a way to move over gradually might seem an attractive proposition to them.

Then there's the digital market, particularly the high end. Quite a few use Ninco and must be wondering what the future holds for that track system. They might also be interested in the wider lane spacing, and wider curves.

Finally there is the home racing market. Although I don't think that is where this track is primarily aimed, I wouldn't discount it completely. Although the track is big, they're making an R1 curve that is only 4.5cm bigger (with borders) than a Scalextric R1 hairpin. So unlike Carrera, where you wouldn't even bother trying to make a small track, with the SaleAuto track I think it's quite possible.

Here's an 8'x4' layout.

SA-004.scc.jpg

And here's one that's a bit bigger at 280 x 140cm

SA-006.scc.jpg

The big problem is, as you've said, as we've all said, the lack of a short straight. Without that, the large tracks are awkward, but smaller tracks become a real problem.

For ScaleAuto's sake I really hope they realise that they are probably making a mistake by not including a 1/4 length straight, or smaller. Just an hour or so playing around in UR made it absolutely clear to me that it's a big limitation.

I think a new track system is a really exciting development, especially when it has six different corner radii, that would be a real market leader. But it might just end up frustrating everybody if we can't get our tracks to join up.

I wish them good luck, I hope they succeed. But speaking as a designer who has to consider commercial markets, and if I could speak Spanish, I'd probably be contacting them to suggest they seriously consider putting a short straight on the "to do" list.

Attachments

·
Horlicks Hero
1,940 Posts
Drop them a note via Facebook. They've posted the track announcement and pictures up there, and FB seems to be the easiest way to get companies' attention these days. Mention a short straight and see who else piles on with Likes etc.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Haha, stoooo, you've got the same avatar on FB.

The only trouble with FB is it's not a very professional way to communicate. Oh well it's a start.

·
Horlicks Hero
1,940 Posts
Sometimes you just need a way in. Sadly, social media is the gateway into many organisations these days. Most Contact Us pages on websites are just a form to fill in where you have no idea who will actually be receiving the result on the other end.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Good news.

ScaleAuto has seen the comments here and on F.B., and indications are that this has them considering production of a 1/4 straight at some point, for the reasons we have stated.

All credit to them for listening.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts