SlotForum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Great reports!
Someone hasn't seen much sleep in the last few days!

QUOTE The power supply will be 30VA rated.
I am pleased to see a figure quoted, but it seems a little on the low side for six cars.
A quick look at one of my current Scalextric PSUs shows a figure of 14VA, which we already know to be a little low for even two cars and it's common practice to double this for satisfactory performance.
Question:
Were more than two cars run on the circuit? Six?
(OK, that's 2 questions!)

·
Beppe Giannini
1,696 Posts
Tropi,

my guess is that it's all in the definition : Davic runs up to 15 cars (NC1/2, non magnetic) with just a 10 A power source - but it's a beefy, stabilized DS unit (actually it's two 5 A units, one at +18 V and the other at -18 V )

With a wall wart, I suppose that the VA rating tells you just that the thing will not melt up to that value - but my bet is that voltage goes down the moment you start drawing current

Beppe

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
thanks for another great review!

The guy I talked to said the curves were reversable - and the demo LC had change mechanisms at both ends, implying a left hand curve LC was the same peice as a right hand curve. But since they apparently have seperate part numbers for left and right curves, i guess this was incorrect

·
Jim Moyes
5,044 Posts
Isn't the Sport Digital Race Ready Set going to be a bit of a non event if it is supplied with only one LC? Once you have changed to the "other" lane you can't get back

Mr.M

·
Beppe Giannini
1,696 Posts
I read on SCI that, with just one LC, you also need a (fixed) crossover - might work, but it's definitely miserly ! There's no reason at all the LC should be that expensive (think of the announced price for the Carrera LC)

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
We ran three cars at a time and a fourth was placed on the track and I detected no power loss. In fact it was ultra smooth and very sensitive, although it was a small circuit. Maybe the point of left or right hand is because of the need for line of sight for the receiver in the track section?

·
Registered
84 Posts
This looks very interesting. Even with one lane change piece it will add that extra element of fun to racing. Only problem would be the guy behind may be tempted to run the guy in front off in an attempt to win if stuck behind on the last lap. Will make my race software irrelevant also. Guess I will have to buy RMS. It would be good to be able to use Parma or other after market hand controls as they are generally more reliable and have a wider range of resistors. However if Scalextric are becoming this serious then maybe they will cover that as well.

Vince

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
From a Toy Show perspective I am going to say here that Scalextric SPORT Digital still has a long way to go and the boys at Scalextric did a wonderful job putting together the display that they did. It was pretty much a first prototype as I saw it and all feedback was noted.

SCX Digital was a production model and the UK are going to see a mark 2 version later in the year. The mark 1 version was on display.

Carrera Digital appeared to be a near production model and again should be here later in the year.

The key to all this is price, compatibilty, existing customer base and the ability to upgrade existing set ups.

No doubt this will be at the forefront of the minds of buyers when they place their orders with the sales reps that will be doing the rounds.

Moped

·
Registered
166 Posts
QUOTE The key to all this is price, compatibilty, existing customer base and the ability to upgrade existing set ups

Of the systems that were being demo'd the Scalextric system seems by far to win in the compatibility stakes, track, car upgrades etc as already well documented. Adrian also advised to me that the digital cars will run on the analogue system because the car's digital circuitry would be bypassed by the analogue control. - Therefore fully backwards compatible too.
The SCX rep that I spoke to likened the SCX systems to VHS and Betamax, they would run in parallel until the digital system finally took over but that there was no compatibility between either system. - A lack of flexibility is a bit of a shot in the foot in my mind.

Nerfee.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
QUOTE The SCX rep that I spoke to likened the SCX systems to VHS and Betamax

SCX need a better analogy. Anybody got any ideas for them?

I got a Sony C5 Betamax recorder all those years ago. I also got one of those "squarial" British Satellite Broadcasting systems. The Betamax recorder has been tipped but the squarial dish and decoder are still in the loft.

What does that say about my judgement?

Moped

·
Registered
186 Posts
QUOTE It would be good to be able to use Parma or other after market hand controls as they are generally more reliable and have a wider range of resistors.

is there a need for variable resistors on a digtally-controlled car? I would have though an Electronic speed controller would negate the need, a bit like having a PM controller on the car (apologies if I'm wrong- Electronics isn't my stronng point...)

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Adrian also showed us that cars can run in either direction too, just turn the car around and away it went.

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
QUOTE The SCX rep that I spoke to likened the SCX systems to VHS and Betamax

I hope that comparison is not how this all shakes out. The Beta format was technically superior to VHS during the "video wars". It was better marketing that won out in the end for VHS, as Sony really dropped the ball with their narrow-minded stance on Beta licencing.

If digital slot racing goes a similar route, we wouldn't be getting the best product...

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I don`t care what they compare it to, the bottom line is that Scalextric have done a better job.

·
Registered
714 Posts
If I am not mistaken, the Scalextric system is not yet available and SCX is.
So, at present, it's a chicken counting exercise.
We may know who has done a better job when all the jobs are done.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I think everyone is aware that the guys who have played so far have made that situation clear. My humble opinion of playing SCX at Toyfair is that it has some problems that may put people off.Tthe whole point of posting asap on this forum is to give people subjective opinions as early as possible. Informed opinions are better able to help people decide before shelling out hard earned cash. The SCX system is production quality and it`s not as good as the Scalextric pre production in my opinion. Rarely does a manufacturer take a backwards step from pre to full production so I`m looking forward even more to the Scalextric system hitting the shops.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts